• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hrt Injectable Estrogen

Guest lexie

Guest lexie

I am not yet on HRT. However, here is a question I have had for a while:

I very rarely encounter a MTF person who uses an Injectable form of Estrogen (typically Oestradiol Valerate). nearly everyone I know of uses oral, patch, or skin gel estrogen for HRT. The Injectable form seems like it would be a much better choice to me. It prevents the liver problem associated with oral estrogens; it is injected at an interval of only once every two weeks or something like that; and it is relatively inexpensive compared to patches and some oral forms of estrogen.

So is there something I am missing? Is there some reason why it seems like no one opts for Injectable forms of Estrogen for HRT?

• Admin

Hi, Lexie. Here is a thread that should help answer your question: http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/in...showtopic=19313

I must remind you that none of us here are doctors, and this is an issue that you should definitely discuss with your doctor before starting HRT.

You should be fully informed of all the options and given an explanation for any recommendation the doctor makes. Never be afraid to ask

your doctor a question.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Donna Jean

The only drawbacks that I can imagine are that I take other pills everyday anyway...what's one more?

And having to go get the injection? I don't know if you can do then yourself or not....I really don't think that I'd want to do that!

Donna Jean

Guest lexie
You should be fully informed of all the options and given an explanation for any recommendation the doctor makes.

Exactly, I want to be fully informed.

I don't know if you can do then yourself or not....I really don't think that I'd want to do that!

Millions of Americans give themselves insulin by injection every day. Clearly, the average person is competent enough to handle his or her own injectable drugs.

But in reading the thread referenced by Coralyn, I see that Injectable estrogen is said to "works faster." Possibly that is a good reason.

Guest Donna Jean
Millions of Americans give themselves insulin by injection every day. Clearly, the average person is competent enough to handle his or her own injectable drugs.

I'm totally aware of that...I'm diabetic myself and my girlfriend, Lizzy, injects...

I just meant, I wonder if it IS available that way or if one must swing by the doctor's office every week...that would be a pain...

Donna Jean

Guest i is Sam :-)

I was under the impression that the deal with injections was that it caused much great variations in your estrogen level thus mood swings.

I asked my doctor who performs the HRT for her patients and she said she only knew of one person who takes injections and that person lives in California. All of her patients take the pill or patch. So I'm guessing injection is fairly rare. I was looking at injections for the same reason you are Lexie, and that is it is not so hard on the liver.

Love Susan

Guest angie

The form which you are prescribed HRT will be that which

your physican or endocronologist is familar and comfortable

treating their transsexual patients with.

My doc,whom transitioned hundreds of transmen and transwomen...

Believes in injectable hormones,prescribes that form to all her trans

patients,unless specifically asked for a different form of delivery by

the patient.

Angelique

Guest lexie

Thanks everyone for the input. As far as injections causing variations in estrogen level: I thought that injectable estrogen was dissolved in a plant oil, typically something like peanut oil, and so its absorption into a blood stream was buffered over a longer period of time. I'll ask the Docs when the time comes.

I believe that prescription injectable estrogen is sold in vials, so one must prepear the injection him/herself. not as nice as those auto-measuring insulin pen things, but still simple enough.

Guest Sadie

Be nice if they had a pellet form. Not sure if they do yet for estrogen? They have that now for testosterone. Its a pellet implanted in the buttocks lasts for several months at a time and has a nice slow release to keep levels optimal.

Guest jamiejcmo

Hello Lexie, My name is Jamie and I have been on E injections for 8 months now. First off let me say.....Do not mess with injections without a doctors supervision! The injections are way stronger than pills and can cause serious injuries or death if you don't know what you are doing. I started out experimenting with pills on my own and thought I knew enough to handle it. Wrong!!!!! After I did find a doctor it turned out I almost wiped out my liver. If you go with injections you better get used to needles(I hated them). You will need frequent blood test and the doctor will have to change your levels as you go. Injections do cause swings and they can be drastic. My first shot was given to me by a nurse and within 2 hours I had the worst hot flashes and then crashed for 2 hours. I had a great buzz the first day and then it leveled off then as the E wears of you will get killer PMS. Everyone on injections will have a new respect for what genetic women go thru every month. You will get to do it 2 -3 times a month. If you and your doctor decide to go with injections make sure you are ready for fast results and can live with them. The needles are another subject. My doctor has me giving myself injections and you have to learn to do it correctly or you can get infections, cause muscle damage, or worse cause blood clots and die. If you are under a doctors care and are 1000% sure that this is what you want then injections are the best way to go. By the way injections are not cheap, mine are not covered by my insurance and cost me $180.00 a vial. Good luck on your journey,Jamie

Guest Leah1026
I am not yet on HRT. However, here is a question I have had for a while:

I very rarely encounter a MTF person who uses an Injectable form of Estrogen (typically Oestradiol Valerate). nearly everyone I know of uses oral, patch, or skin gel estrogen for HRT. The Injectable form seems like it would be a much better choice to me. It prevents the liver problem associated with oral estrogens; it is injected at an interval of only once every two weeks or something like that; and it is relatively inexpensive compared to patches and some oral forms of estrogen.

So is there something I am missing? Is there some reason why it seems like no one opts for Injectable forms of Estrogen for HRT?

Being a medical person myself I hate to admit a big part of the problem is the doctors themselves. They loathe giving us injectables for some reason. Not all of them, but a lot of them. I think many of them cling to old negative stereotypes and think we'll all become drug addicts if we're given access to needles. :shakes head: as far as I'm concerned injectable are the best way to go. They're convenient, effective, safe and cheap. I've been using them 6 years now without any trouble. Someone else expressed trouble with mood fluctuations and hot flashes. I have had none of that. Maybe I'm just charmed, but I love my injectable. Especially since I only pay about $110/year for my HRT needs. The biggest hurdle, other than getting the doctors okay, is getting used to injecting yourself. With a little training from the doctor or a nurse anyone can do this, it's not that difficult. For the record my estrogen comes suspended in castor oil. But I know other companies have used peanut oil and sesame seed oil.

Good luck whatever method you decide to use.

Guest Emily Ray

Leah,

I am presently on the patch and have had a terrible time with them falling off. I have used tape to help keep them on, but when I take that off it takes a layer or two of skin with it leaving me with deep red marks that are super tender. Are these problems of the type necessary to justify injections. I realize you aren't a doctor and only have your own experience to go on.