• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Tue Life: I'm Changing My Sex

Guest Hoslers_wife

Guest Hoslers_wife

MTV did a 'documentary' on transgenderism a while back. I just saw it for the first time but was wondering if any of you had seen it and what you thought? Do you think they portrayed TG well? I thought they did a good job. I'm just really glad they had normal sane people instead of fueling the notion that TG people are crazy, homeless, druggies. They also have posted the producers notes on the MTV website that put a smile on my face.

Love,

Chelsey Hosler

Guest Donna Jean

Jewel & Chelsey.....Thanks for the links.....

Chelsey.....Oh dear, what were you dying from, Sweetheart?

snif'......

Donna Jean

Guest Hoslers_wife

I have bronchitis....which I'm fairly sure is turning into pneumonia. I'm at work but not allowed to go on any runs....??! My director is getting me meds right now then I'm going home to die again. lol.

Jewel & Chelsey.....Thanks for the links.....

Chelsey.....Oh dear, what were you dying from, Sweetheart?

snif'......

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K

Dee Jay - she has Hosler's Wife Syndrome - grin

(Bronchitus - official cause unknown - actually a pandemic in America that was concealed from the public to prevent panic)

What I had and thought I would probably die from! It would never quite go into pneumonia so I could be hospitalized!

Lizzy

Guest Melanie Dawn

I saw it awhile ago, not sure of her name, but the blond seemed to be rushing things and possibly made a mistake.

Melanie Dawn

Guest Hoslers_wife

Nick's gonna love that. lol. I think I'm actually gonna stay at work (we have mini apt's in the ambulance bay) for a while in case it gets worse. I took our foster kids to a respite house friday so I don't get them sick. (respite is the foster care version of babysitting)

(Bronchitus - official cause unknown - actually a pandemic in America that was concealed from the public to prevent panic)

What I had and thought I would probably die from! It would never quite go into pneumonia so I could be hospitalized!

Lizzy

Guest Hoslers_wife

The documentary did make things look rushed but in the producers notes they talked about how there was a lot they couldn't cover in their timeline and they wished they could have made it more appearant that there was more going on behind the scenes.

"As we started to research the topic, we soon discovered that documenting the entire sex change process from start to finish would take much longer than the time we had to complete this project. We caught up with Elle and Ted during the very final stages of their transitions; in order for them to go through the surgical procedures that you see in the show, they first had to undergo intensive therapy and live full-time as the opposite gender for an entire year or more to be totally sure that they were ready to make such irreversible changes. And before going under the knife or even starting hormone therapy, both of them had to present their surgeons with letters from their therapists that stated that they did truly believe that they had what has been defined as gender dysphoria."

I saw it awhile ago, not sure of her name, but the blond seemed to be rushing things and possibly made a mistake.

Melanie Dawn

Guest Melanie Dawn
The documentary did make things look rushed but in the producers notes they talked about how there was a lot they couldn't cover in their timeline and they wished they could have made it more appearant that there was more going on behind the scenes.

"As we started to research the topic, we soon discovered that documenting the entire sex change process from start to finish would take much longer than the time we had to complete this project. We caught up with Elle and Ted during the very final stages of their transitions; in order for them to go through the surgical procedures that you see in the show, they first had to undergo intensive therapy and live full-time as the opposite gender for an entire year or more to be totally sure that they were ready to make such irreversible changes. And before going under the knife or even starting hormone therapy, both of them had to present their surgeons with letters from their therapists that stated that they did truly believe that they had what has been defined as gender dysphoria."

she just seemed to be regretting it after is all i am saying

Melanie Dawn

Guest Donna Jean
I have bronchitis....which I'm fairly sure is turning into pneumonia. I'm at work but not allowed to go on any runs....??! My director is getting me meds right now then I'm going home to die again. lol.

LOL......Chelsey......I can see it now.....

"Sir, you'll recover from your accident injuries 100%! But, that nasty thing that the medic gave you is gonna kill you!"

LOL......

Get better, Honey.....

And now, I'll HAVE to see it and find what it's all about now!

Donna Jean

Guest Hoslers_wife

I really just LOL'd which of course made me cough. Thank you Donna!

LOL......Chelsey......I can see it now.....

"Sir, you'll recover from your accident injuries 100%! But, that nasty thing that the medic gave you is gonna kill you!"

LOL......

Get better, Honey.....

And now, I'll HAVE to see it and find what it's all about now!

Donna Jean

Guest Jewel

Okay, just watched it... I thought it was very well done.

I never got the impression that Elle regretted anything or rushed. I saw the usual pre-surgery nervousness, and obviously she was really sad that her mother wasn't around to be with her. Did I miss something?

Guest Evan_J

<< Can see this turning into a "quip" about "when you marry a trans guy" <_<

Good work though Chelsea on bringin it to everyone's attention.

And Jewel, that Google Fu or yours is gonna get you in trouble ;)

Thanks for the links, I will try to watch it tonight or tomorrow morning before my last ever appointment with my Therapist.

Love ya and get well!

Sally

Guest Elizabeth K

Baby - do try that honey! And Angie may have had the same cough. Seriously, it starts with a kind of hoarseness, settles into what should be a post nasal drip but NOTHING seems to cut off the flow. It then goes into coughing - all day and all night. First the fluids come up - then it gets to be a dry type of cough like you feel you are drowning if you don't cough. My doctor kept monitoring me. No real fever so he said just let the fluids settle into your lungs so you won't wear yourself out coughing - not an easy thing to do - and especially when you get the railes (sp) and feel like you are getting pneumonia. It eventually lessens slightly after about four weeks, and its apparently resistant to any medications. Treating the sympoms is only partially successful. I just learned to get up in the night once or twice to cough up the liquids.

After a gradual improvement which I attriburted to getting more rest, it did get less and less severe. When I could finally breathe normally for a while, it was such a relief. I then relapsed, but that only lasted a week. There were three of us at work that had it at about the same time. It lasted about the same time for all of us and all three of us relapsed.

It eventually goes away. My diaphram (sp) was so sore. The only good effect is it strenghtened the control over the throat muscles I was working to acheive a higher tonal range. But you don't want that I think. Also I can now sing in a much better range - maybe you will get that.

Also - it didn't seem very contagious. No one in my family caught it. I had stomach problems hit just before the cough problem hit. I always wondered if it was systemic ( I cant spell anything today). I truely think the World Health Organization knew about this. When I went to the doctor's office of the thirty patients waiting - twenty-nine were coughing! The only guy not coughing had this panicy look on his face!

I hope you feel better!

Lizzy

MORE:

Months of coughing

Marga Cugnet, a health administrator from Weyburn, Sask., suffered five months of hacking, post-flu cough and bouts of fatigue after she was infected with H1N1 last October.

"I never went anywhere without having a bag of cough drops with me because I would just get into a coughing spell that wouldn't stop," said Cugnet, the 56-year-old vice-president of primary health with the Sun Country Health Region.

A dry, persistent cough and fatigue are common complaints following respiratory tract infections, including seasonal flu, Gardam said.

A nagging cough is the result of recently inflamed airways that are slow to heal, said Dr. Todd Hatchette, director of virology and immunology at the Queen Elizabeth II Health Science Centre in Halifax.

"It almost triggers a bit of temporary asthma," he said. "Your body is hyperactive to getting narrowed airways. … It's your body's own reaction to itself."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/03/29/...l#ixzz0qCm4ShtT

Guest ericab

i had seen shows like this one on the logo channel, but the tg people there are a little bit older (no offense of course to anyone) so it was nice to see very young tg people sharing their life stories. every time i see shows likes this about tg people i get a little sad because i remember all the things Estelle has gone thru. but i think these types of shows are good to educate people on what being tg is.

ps

hope ur feeling better Chelsey :)

I watched it, it made me feel a little better about what I will have to go through. I felt so bad for her when her mom died. Made me cry.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 124 Guests (See full list)

• VickySGV
    • April Marie