• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Question About Coke

Guest Michael J.

Guest Michael J.

Hey, long time no see for anyone who recognizes me?

I had my first injection of testosterone today, and the nurse had told me the doctor didn't want me having anything with Soy in it because it'd just increase my estrogen levels and be counter-productive. She'd also advised I look up other foods that would have a similar effect and try to steer clear of them, but, snap, my pop is on that list, and I drink a lot of pop. I want to cut down to no more than 3 glasses a week (from something like 4 liters a week, yeah?), but I guess I'm just being hyper-phobic because I don't really want to inhibit the process or make it less effective just because I don't particularly want to give up my pop all together. It's like the one unhealthy pleasure I can't bring myself to give up completely unless I really have to.

Would a couple of glasses a week (definitely no more than 3) be acceptable when it comes to a more-or-less healthy diet (mmmm, fresh vegetables, fruit, and all that)? Just something I was curious about, and I couldn't think of another place I'd ask this sort of question short of a web health forum, and I don't really know of any of those. :'[ The vast internet has yet to provide me with a simple answer too. Really sucks.

Thanks in advance,

Michael.

Guest Donna Jean

Hi Michael!

Congratz on the "T", Hon!

Good on you!

Now, as far as the Coke....that is a question for your doctor...no one here is qualified to tell you if 3 glasses a week would be ok or not....

Why not just pick up the phone and ask?

Huggs

Donna Jean

Hey Michael!

Good to see you again - so happy to hear about the T.

Now as for the Coke - why bother with it - it is very tasty, I used to drink a 2 liter bottle a day but I realized that I needed to lose weight and there were a lot of empty calories there, also anything with caffeine or carbonation fails to hydrate like water does and Coke is loaded with both.

I drink more water now and I love iced tea - it has caffeine but no carbonation or corn syrup (it is very sweet and much cheaper than sugar but it is about like drinking pancake syrup as far as quenching your thirst goes) then of course fruit juices are good.

Find a new drink and you won't have to worry about it.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Evan_J

Great. What other stuff is this crap in :(

I'm wonderin at this point between this, the pythalates, and all the feaking shots they give poultry how ANY of them are surprised natal males maleness chromosome is breaking down.

Guest Pól

Hi Michael, and welcome back!

I'd ask your doctor. I'm a bit sceptical that there's enough estrogen in the soy products or the coca-cola to be significant, but I really wouldn't know.

Guest Elizabeth K

Oh yes - the chemicals we consume! Everyone will be soooooo shocked to discover they cause cancer, birth defects, the common cold - and transsexuality.

Laughing - but you know it will happen somewhat like that - ADS caused by the plasticisers in baby bottles - senility caused by aluminum cans and cooking impliments - diabetes caused by excessive succrose and other sweetners in EVERYTHING!

But Coke? I cannot drink ANY soft drinks, If I have it right, soft drinks are called pop in yankee-land and the mid-west... grin... here in 'Nawlins' EVERY soft drink is called "coke." It not so unusual to ask for a coke, and have the question, "what kind?" BUT specifically- for me? NO SOFT DRINKS and also NO flavored waters.

My rule for foods and drinks, under 8g of sugar per serving, and that is with a counterdose of an insulin shot. I only have diabetes II which is manageable! BUT regular COKE will put me in a near coma! Spins me out - makes me crazy! I sleep for four hours! So - grin - I avoid COKE. And I avoid most everything now - and...

I tried the diet and sugar free drinks! Besides tasting like sewer water with a sweetner added, they can also give me a reaction almost like the corn syrup in COKE. That's right - corn syrup usually - sometimes beet sugar, rarely processed white sugar. HUGE amount of sweetner - look ar the labels 36g, 36g - in soft drinks. And to make 'diet' soft drinks 'taste' sweet? All sortsa chemical sweetners!

Those artificial sweetners definately cause transsexuality - because when I switched from regular soft drinks to diet? Soon after I got diagnosed trans!!! DANG (trademark).

Seriously - the usual soft drink is (1) artificial sweetner (2) artificial flavoring (3) artifical chemical preservatives (4) extracted caffine from miscellaneous sources (5) artificial coloring (6) bottled or canned in a chemically prepared container for enhanced handling.

THAT is why not to drink pop - because nothing in it is intended for your health!

BUT

DANG - COKEs taste soooooo good!!!

And you cannot switch to the so called fruit drinks - look at the sugar content in those!

I have been forced away from soft drinks four years this past November. I have had the occasional diet coke - which is a sinful reverting back to a bad habit for me - sometimes that Mexican food dinner just needs a fizzy drink to burn down the jalopenos! But I have on two occasions had the waitress/waiter bring me "The Real Thing," by accident. I almost spit it back into the glass - SOOO SICKLY SWEET!!!!

So you do get away from the addiction to coke after a while - your tastes change. All my life I drank copious amounts of CocaCola - Maybe as much as three to five bottles a day. I drank a coke and had a blueberry muffin for breakfast, a coke and a twinky for 'coffee' break, a coke with my lunch, and a single coke in the afternoon for energy. The liter-bottle cokes? I drank them on the weekend with lemon squeezed in like som people drink Iced Tea!

30 -40 years of this? NO WONDER I burned out my pancreas!

Okay - what do I drink now? Bottled water usually - stupid to pay for something you can get from turning on the faucet, but the bottle is chilled and it is in an amount I find just right. If I need a REAL thirt quincher? Fizzy mineral water - like Perrie (sp?) - no sugars at all. Its an aquired taste, those who still drink "The Real Thing," say mineral water tastes like medicine - but I like it!

For the caffine? COFFEEEEEEEE - yaaaaaaa - gallons of it - with a ton of cream, no sugar of course.

ummmmm...

Now they say caffine causes trouble with the prostate - so simple - I just went on HRT! Estrogen nails that stupid male gland!

SO you see Coke causes transsexuallity in natal males. I had to abandon Coke - I took up Coffee - I have to take hormones to counteract the effects of caffine! As a side effect I am changing into a female...

THERE YOU ARE!!!

GRIN

Lizzy

Guest Donna Jean
But Coke? I cannot drink ANY soft drinks, If I have it right, soft drinks are called pop in yankee-land and the mid-west... grin... here in 'Nawlins' EVERY soft drink is called "coke." It not so unusual to ask for a coke, and have the question, "what kind?" BUT specifically- for me? NO SOFT DRINKS and also NO flavored waters.

Absoutely correct, Elizabeth!

Good 'ole "POP"...........

Love

Donna Jean

I also used to drink about 2 liters of soda a day. I'd say that was probably 5the main reason I developed type II diabetes. Then I switched to diet Pepsi, didn't drink as much, but still was causing problems.

Now I drink filtered water and once a day I drink a smoothie with whey protein, frozen blueberries, red raspberries, and strawberries, sometimes 1/2 banana, ice, almond milk, cinnamin, and macadamia nut oil. It tastes really good. It's my favorite meal of the day.

Love Susan

Guest praisedbeherhooves

Wait... that's true about the estrogen?! I thought it was an urban legend!

Dang it, I'm a vegan! :( Oh well, I normally drink almond milk instead of soy milk. I guess I'll switch from mostly soy to mostly wheat gluten and legumes when it comes to protein.

Guest Quinn

HAHAAAAA! HEY MICHAEL HOW YAH DOING DON'T RECOGNIZE YOU AT ALL WHERE YOU FROM.

Unless, of course, I'm thinking of a different Michael who just got his first shot of T and lives in Nevada. -shrug-

Anyways. The thought that I might have to not drink soda when on T makes me insanely sad face. And with the help of an amazing friend, I may be able to start T sooner that I thought...so I may have to part with my beloved sooner than thought. XD Guess I'll have to look into it. Bummer though, I like soy, too.

Guest Elizabeth K
Wait... that's true about the estrogen?! I thought it was an urban legend!

Dang it, I'm a vegan! :( Oh well, I normally drink almond milk instead of soy milk. I guess I'll switch from mostly soy to mostly wheat gluten and legumes when it comes to protein.

Mia's topic on soy covers that. MaryEllen cautioned that soy is NOT effective as a feminizing agent - unless possibly if you poisin yourself on it, in huge quantities.

Still I suspect it gives false readings with blood tests.

Another example, if you eat poppy seed rolls, you will test positive for heroin usage.

Lizzy

Guest My_Genesis
Hi Michael, and welcome back!

I'd ask your doctor. I'm a bit sceptical that there's enough estrogen in the soy products or the coca-cola to be significant, but I really wouldn't know.

I agree with Pol.

Also, you can buy coke in a glass bottle instead of plastic and with real sugar instead of corn syrup (it's called "Mexican coke" because apparently we have to import the good kind from Mexico, lol) Costco has it so people usually buy it in bulk there. although some restaurants have it too.

just thought I'd throw that out there because I myself am too weak to give up soft drinks lol, and this is as "healthy" as you can probably get when it comes to soft drinks.

Guest Donna Jean

You know.....

It's really hard to keep up with what is and isn't in everything that you drink....

Like Lizzy, I stick mostly to water.....

Too much junk in those drinks......

Donna Jean

You know.....

It's really hard to keep up with what is and isn't in everything that you drink....

Like Lizzy, I stick mostly to water.....

Too much junk in those drinks......

Donna Jean

But water is so boring and tasteless :lol::P

So is hospital food, my simian friend!

Donna Jean

Ah, i'm used to hospital food. That's fine by me. :P

Anyway sorry hijacking post about here. Duct tape at the ready.

*leaves post*

Guest Batsu Maru Otoko Yo!

Heh, this thread makes me smile! I haven't had soda in something like two years now. I drink only water and occasionally skim lactose-free milk, and let me tell you, I feel good. Just by doing that, I drop more than a hundred calories at each meal - for reference, the average person only needs to drop 500 per day (via dieting or exercise) in order to lose a pound a week. Yes, it is that easy.

It wasn't that hard to make the switch, really, but it does get annoying sometimes when you live in a culture that seems to think that soda and juice are the only possible drinks in the world. I mean, let's say I go out to eat. If I go to a restaurant, it's no big deal, but if I go to, say, my secret love (Taco Bell), they look at me like I'm nuts for having water, and they give me said water in a teensy little kid's meal cup, as if nobody could ever want a grown-up-sized cup of plain water. Geez. Once I got a combo and asked for it with water, and the lady must've though I was off my rocker, because she told me that having water with it wouldn't lower the price. I mean really.

I stopped drinking soda because it was empty calories and really unhealthy, and that was two years ago like I said. At that point, though, I was still drinking juice, sweet tea, and coffee with sugar, and it took me almost a year to finally come to my senses and realize that none of that stuff is any more healthy than soda. There was a bit of a transition, as I had to stop and think every time I wanted a drink, "Water, just water, I don't need that other stuff." It's especially hard with things like sandwiches and desserts, because I feel like those need a more flavourful counterpart, but you get over it.

I have to say that I think that giving up sugared drinks has been one of the better choices I've made in regards to my health, but if you can't give them up completely, then at least do some research and find out what sodas are relatively better. And don't drink diet. Why? Because if you take the sugar out of soda, you're basically just drinking a can of flavoured chemicals. There are healthier carbonated beverages that aren't full of nasty diet-soda byproducts and atom-swapped chlorinated sugar substitutes. Fresca, for example, is a good lemon-lime soda that has no sugar, and Izzy is basically carbonated fruit juice with no added sugar. Look for drinks like those and compare between major soda brands to find the least bad-for-you ones.

And that's it for my two cents.

Guest Michael J.

!!! OH GOD, QUINN FOUND ME. :'] Hello, friend. What a small internet we live in. -amused-

I'll probably just end up calling; I was mostly curious if anyone else had the answer given I wouldn't be able to call until tomorrow, and, oh, man, I'm bad with the healthy drinks. Water's tasteless for me, and the only other things I'll drink are orange juice and apple juice. Pop is my poison (and where I'm originally from, we call everything Coke, but it's Soda in Nevada, and Pop where my best friend lives. Too many words, and too many switching of what to call that bloody drink, right, right?), I guess - that and I'm concerned about the massive two-week long headache that's going to come in about two days. ;; Oh, it burns. Giving up fried foods and cheeseburgers is easy, but pop is just intense.

Guest harvester52

My doctors never said anything about not drinking pop. From my own experience, my T levels have steadily risen since I started it, despite that I drink so much pop, I have a case of the goodly foamy stuff between the front seats of my van for easy thirst-quenching-whilst-driving. XD