• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hemp

Guest Sotha

Guest Sotha

I have a couple pieces of hemp jewelry. The first one I bought has always smelled perfectly fine, but after a couple weeks, the second one started smelling (pretty bad).

I did a few searches online, but was unable to come up with anything really helpful. apparently the smell is a sign of lower quality hemp? Whatever. I couldn't find any diffinitive methods for cleaning the smell away.

I'm just wondering if any if you people know anything that works well for ridding it of the smell.

Guest Elizabeth K

I cannot believe I have an opinion on this obscure question! DANG - my mind is full of useless information!

Hemp has been used as rope forever and usually it is waxed when constructed to waterproof it - hense that sweet paraffin smell. People understand that it is the stems of the marijuana plant - and that it has a distinctive smell of its own, especially if unwaxed. There will also be a tendancy for a 'rotting' process to start if there is enough moisture - and that is usually bacteria or mold.

Use a strong chemical dye or ink - and redo the coloring. It will overcome the smell. If the jewelry is natural color - use a bit of 'kerosene" lantern fuel which is a pariffin derivative (not actual kerosene).

I have that type of jewelry and I have that fuel type - so thats how I know - grin!

Hope this helps

Lizzy

Guest Sotha

Use a strong chemical dye or ink - and redo the coloring. It will overcome the smell. If the jewelry is natural color - use a bit of 'kerosene" lantern fuel which is a pariffin derivative (not actual kerosene).

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but how do you do that? Do you just submerge the hemp in a bowl of the fuel? For how long?

?

Kate

Guest Elizabeth K

I think it depends on how 'slick' it seems to the touch. If it appears untreated. 30 minutes is good. If it seems kinda 'waxy' - try overnight.

Trial and error.

Lizzy