• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Host Issues

As most know our server host last week blocked forum service to our members and staff. It was not helpful to our suicide prevention staff which depends on forum back channels to solve suicidal crisis's. We were not warned we would be shuttered. We have followed every suggestion they have given us including upgrading our software. The issue is over usage of the cpu which is a legitimate problem and we do understand that. We have expressed a willning ness to work with the host to no avail. They have given us 24 hours which likeley means they will be shutting the forums and or enitre site. This despite the fact that we are prepaid for up to a year in advance. We have been with them for over 6 years with no other problems. You would think they would offer the next level of service to us but so far have not done so. I consider this discriminatory.

Any closing here will be temporary as we are already working on alternatives. We hope to be back by the middle of next week should our host discrimante and close us down. Anyone having suicidal issues should call 911 or 1-800-suicide . I do retain hope that we will work things out with our host. That of course is up to them.

Laura

Guest ChloëC

From a number of other sites I've seen and been on, this is not a particularly unique site, size, usage, etc., other than the content. Makes me wonder exactly what is going on.

It's too bad things have to come to this. Hopefully, a resolution can be achieved, either using the current host or finding a more friendly one.

If the site goes down, I will certainly miss it, and I also hope it won't be for too long. Laura, you and the team are providing a wonderful and very needed service (or services, actually). No matter what happens, you have done wonders for a large number of people, and should be proud of it.

If it doesn't go well, I'll be looking for you all on the other side, wherever it may be.

Hugs

Chloë

• Forum Moderator

Thank you so much for letting us know Laura.

I realize how difficult all of this has been and greatly appreciate the time and love you have put in for all of us.

We'll make it through-though I will be bereft and miss everyone for even a few days. I'll feel homeless for awhile.

But I will get started on the backlog of housework and workthat as been piling up since I found Laura's. Not really a silver lining-sort of a tarnished brass one at best.

When it happens please everybody stay in touch on Face Book. I'm under

Jj Ravenwood

One uppercase and one lower case J was the only way to get JJ. Rules. I get so tired of all the senseless ones-Not here of course. ere tey are all sensible and necessary.

Oh I'm missing Laura's already and it asn't even happened yet!

Love Ya'll

JJ

Guest Melanie Dawn

A few days down, if at all, Chelsey!

Boo Hoo....

Donna Jean

be real DJ, you will cry... you did so on FB when the boards were down for a day :P

Love you

Melanie Dawn

Guest Donna Jean

be real DJ, you will cry... you did so on FB when the boards were down for a day :P

Love you

Melanie Dawn

Busted!

Mel....this has been my home for 2 years...

Of course I'll cry, even if we're only down one day...

Love

Donna Jean

• Forum Moderator

Just occurred to me to pray and do positive thinking about this.

We've got 24 hours. There are many of us.

Let's try!!

Hopefully!

JJ

Guest Melanie Dawn

Busted!

Mel....this has been my home for 2 years...

Of course I'll cry, even if we're only down one day...

Love

Donna Jean

I know... i don't know how long i have been here, but i feel "off" if i don't at least troll the forums and read the new posts.

Melanie Dawn

• Forum Moderator

People here keep reminding me of the power of positive thought

As the dread and near panic wash over me I realize that positive thought and prayer are all we can do.

And there are a lot of us.

I'm visualizing being on the forum day after tomorrow and for weeks and months to come and praying hard that i am too

It can't hurt and just maybe.......

Love

JJ

Do realize that we are still trying to resolve things with the host. Last time we were'nt warned. i am resolving that here. We'll be back no matter what.

Laura

I know how hard this will hit everyone because I am here a lot, I have lived here for nearly 2 years myself.

I only exist in the real world but here I am alive, I love and I am loved - not a marginal person but a real person - I struggle without the forums too.

We all have to hope that things can be worked out - I know that Laura will do everything that she can.

Love ya,

Sally

Do realize that we are still trying to resolve things with the host. Last time we were'nt warned. i am resolving that here. We'll be back no matter what.

Laura

YEA!!!!

And that is straight from the Boss!

Love ya,

Sally

• Forum Moderator

I have faith in you Laura. You've wrought miracles here already. I know you'll work it out-even if we miss a few days.

But I guess we are feeling a little insecure with the possibility and you have created a place for us to vent our fears and emotions and turn to one another for support so I think that's what we're doing. Reaching out . Trying to be prepared.

Because you give us a home and a voice.

Love

JJ

Guest sarah f

I hope and pray the site does not go down but if it does I have faith in Laura to get it back up. In the meantime I will talk to everyone on facebook if necessary.

Guest Zolrek

I'm sure you will be able to resolve this, Laura.

However if not...I've seen way bigger forums/websites then Laura's and I belong to them. I'm guessing the host must be a puny little host if their having problems keeping Laura's. If Laura's gets shut down I have no problem pointing it out as blunt discrimination. :mellow:

• Admin

Laura, I have confidence that you and ME and PJ can resolve this without going down, or at the very least with just a minimal down time.

I know you're doing your best, and I'm so grateful for every day that Laura's Playground is up and running.

This is my second home, and I know it is for most of us. We won't let our home be taken away.

Failure is not an option. :)

Love

Carolyn Marie

Laura,

I was out of town the first time Laura's was down, dee Jay texted me and i wondered what happened, then i saw the new board and thought we just upgraded but in reality it was something much deeper.

I know everyone involved is doing their best to find a solution, hopefully very soon so the site does not go down and people that need the suicide rooms can get the help they need.

Paula

Guest RachaelAnn

I hope nothing happens. I feel like I have found a great family here.

Laura if you need I can give you the link to my host. They are really awesome and don't get personally involved with what kind of site is up. As long as your bill is paid they are happy. Let me know if you need it.

Rachael

Guest i is Sam :-)

So how much would a dedicated server cost?

Also are you using content caching? http://www.ipb-webmaster.com/topic/23-php-caching-within-ipboard/ if not, then that can seriously reduce the CPU load.

If you're thinking of switching hosts then you might want to look at nearlyfreespeach.net

and umm, if you need a very quick measure to reduce load to try and keep the site going, then maybe shut off the galery, I'm sure we can cope. And if the chat is hosted on the same server, then perhaps you can offload that to another host and repoint the DNS, at least just for now, it'll reduce load, and keep it safe if the main server goes down.

Guest Chrysee

As most know our server host last week blocked forum service to our members and staff. It was not helpful to our suicide prevention staff which depends on forum back channels to solve suicidal crisis's. We were not warned we would be shuttered. We have followed every suggestion they have given us including upgrading our software. The issue is over usage of the cpu which is a legitimate problem and we do understand that. We have expressed a willning ness to work with the host to no avail. They have given us 24 hours which likeley means they will be shutting the forums and or enitre site. This despite the fact that we are prepaid for up to a year in advance. We have been with them for over 6 years with no other problems. You would think they would offer the next level of service to us but so far have not done so. I consider this discriminatory.

Any closing here will be temporary as we are already working on alternatives. We hope to be back by the middle of next week should our host discrimante and close us down. Anyone having suicidal issues should call 911 or 1-800-suicide . I do retain hope that we will work things out with our host. That of course is up to them.

Laura

Dear God, no! I just came out and I just found this wonderful place and you people. Now if this does happen, it could be back, elsewhere, in no time? I read something about a Facebook group. I was seriously stalked by an old college acquaintance on Facebook. This got ugly and resulted in my partner receiving threats and even in one of her sons receiving 'mysterious' hate posts to his Facebook page. I can't go back there. Even if I decided what the hell and did, my partner would go nuclear. And talking to her about it would not help, believe me.

I hope you either stay or come back oh-so-soon. And I shall immediately pray for those who will be without the suicide prevention that you offer.

Sob!

• Forum Moderator

Dear God, no! I just came out and I just found this wonderful place and you people. Now if this does happen, it could be back, elsewhere, in no time? I read something about a Facebook group. I was seriously stalked by an old college acquaintance on Facebook. This got ugly and resulted in my partner receiving threats and even in one of her sons receiving 'mysterious' hate posts to his Facebook page. I can't go back there. Even if I decided what the hell and did, my partner would go nuclear. And talking to her about it would not help, believe me.

I hope you either stay or come back oh-so-soon. And I shall immediately pray for those who will be without the suicide prevention that you offer.

Sob!

Chrysee

There are ways to create alternate Face Book pages that are safe, secure and easy-just PM me and I'll be happy to help. No one you don't want will be able to find you and you can still be in touch with all of us

Hugs

JJ

Guest i is Sam :-)

Oh banning the search engine robots might take a little bit of the strain off too, for a little while. (or if you are caching posts then making sure you limit their scope to only the cached content)