• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Coming Out In The Twitter Age

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

As many of you know, I have a teenage son who I am not out to yet. In discussing the "how best to" approach with my G.T., I realized something I hadn't fully thought through, and I need some guidance with anyone who has gone through this.

I am not planning to come out to the world for anywhere from 6 to 9 months from now. But I was planning to tell my son early this summer, for a variety of reasons. What I just realized is that, in this age of Twitter and Facebook, whatever I tell my son is likely to be spread among his friends, and to their parents, within hours or days. It won't be long before I'm the talk of my town. Frankly, I'm not ready for that.

I can ask or demand that he not tell anyone, but how realistic is that?

So, has anyone gone through that with a teenager, and how did it work out? How bad is the Twitter landscape?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Elizabeth K

Explain to him the danger of saying anything to anyone. It WILL directly affect him if you loose your position and salery. I think he is old enough to understand that. a 14 year old? No - that teen wouldn't.

Hope this helps

Lizzy

Dear Carolyn,

You can ASK him not to tell anyone because of the dangers and possibility of losing your job if the timing is wrong.

He wants to go to college so you need the job.

The only worry would be if he was to be angry with you for this - then logic plays no part but having your lovely wife's support should help there also.

I think that you should be able to come out to him without any trouble as you seem to have a fairly healthy relationship.

Love ya,

Sally

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Steven22

Not that I have kids, but I can tell you its probably solely dependent on your son. For instance my brother and his wife got divorced and none of it ended up on facebook or twitter, subsequently hardly anyone knew. In my case none of it has hit facebook or twitter, I am 23 I have friends as young and 19 and as old as 60 that know I am trans and almost all of them have FB/Twitter. But that's just my experience with coming out and being in the twitter age. I am unsure as to why, I hadn't ever thought it would be a problem though in retrospect it seems very likely, out of some inadequately explored reason it never made it to a fb status or twitter update that I know of. Good luck.

Guest AlexandraHarper

Dear Carolyn,

I agree with everyone else, that when you tell your son, that you explain what would happen if he tells gets out you might lose your job, and possibly have problems in your community in general. Which would then affect him as well. By inferring what the might happen it if gets out probably is the best strategy in my opinion. Also am I the only who doesn't get the point of twitter, just wondering.

Hoping it turns out well for you!

Alexandra Harper

• Admin

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I found them very, very reassuring, and it really helped. :)

Carolyn Marie

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 71 Guests (See full list)

• April Marie
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • Carolyn Marie
    • Ashley0616
    • Nonexistent
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

MossycupMolly
    Newest Member
    MossycupMolly

1. Carli05
      Carli05
    2. CharlotteD89
      CharlotteD89
      (35 years old)
    3. JamieL
      JamieL
    4. Jenny
      Jenny
      (71 years old)
    5. Katek
      Katek
    • Mirrabooka
      Hmm. Must have been that pesky 'International' word which made me assume that it was well known! I only became aware of it myself last year.   Brief history: May 17th is the day IDAHOBIT is acknowledged as it is the anniversary of when in 1990 the World Health Organization declassified homosexuality as a mental disorder. It was conceived in 2004 and first celebrated in 2005. It has gone on to include trans folk in 2009 and bi folk in 2015.   International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia - Wikipedia    
    • Maddee
    • Cheyenne skye
      A year and a half post op. I've noticed that once the urge to pee hits, I can only hold it for about 15 minutes or so until it gets to the point where I feel like I'm going to piss myself. I used to be able to hold it a lot longer (as I  remember it).  I know my urethra is a bit shorter now, but I don't think it is enough to account for this. Am I imagining it?
    • Roach
      What a great moment @Vidanjali! It's always so cool knowing people are reading you in a way you want to be seen.
    • Abigail Genevieve
      It's also networking.  Sometimes jobs come along because someone knows someone else - these older people might know someone.  "Hey, Ashley," someone might say,"My nephew is looking for love. He likes tall women. Whatcha think? Can he call you?"   Don't discount their ability to match make.  It is about networking.
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
      He is simply doing to get more votes. He held a Trump for trans during his first run and found out the majority of his voters were against us so he simply followed the crowd. 
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
      The sad part is I'm the third oldest member. One is in their 60's and the other is past 70's. I'm even older than the president lol. It's a younger crowd that's for sure. I like to come here to feel young again lol. 
    • Sally Stone
      Ashley, I think searching for relationships are a lot like searching for jobs, they tend to come along when you aren't actually looking.  Perhaps you could step back from actively searching, at least for a little while, and instead, concentrate on just being out and about as yourself.  Like Mae and Abby have already mentioned, just keep up your volunteering, but don't focus on a need to find someone.  Maybe, just maybe, changing your tactics will result in someone finding you.    I do wish only the best for you, and I hope someone comes along who connects with you.
    • MaeBe
    • MaeBe
      First off, you can't regret being honest. You may not be changing the relationship, but it sounds like it still exists!   As for meeting people, what about through the volunteering you're doing? Maybe you can do more of that and meet people. Let some relationships grow and if they blossom into something more than friendship, great! If not, you've got more friends!
    • LittleSam
      Hi Giz, welcome. There's so many different ways to be trans and you're so welcome here. I wish you luck in achieving your goal of being more androgynous. There's forums in here that might suit you and your goals. I look forward to hearing more from you. I go by he/they pronouns at the mo.
    • Lydia_R
      Hello @JenniferB!  Was kind of in the same boat with this.  I spent massive amounts of energy over several decades to try to control my drinking and drug use.  Because I'm highly disciplined, I was ultimately successful.  I felt I could have gone on with controlled drinking for the rest of my life without problems, but it got to the point where I realized that it wasn't worth all the energy I was putting into it.  At that point I found surrender.  I got a sponsor, attended almost daily meetings for a year, worked the steps to the best of my ability, tried my best to socialize with people even though I am an introvert, I made a mess for myself at the meetings and felt a little rejected.  And then I continued on doing a little service work.   After a few months away from it, I'm in a good spot.  I accidentally ate one of my roommates edibles a couple months ago.  I have only smoked a half ounce of weed in the last 20 years.  After it kicked in, I realized that it was a marijuana high.  Then I noticed something miraculous.  I just told myself that there is nothing I can do about it and then got on with the business of the evening like I normally would.  It was like the high just ended right then and there.   Controlled drinking like I was doing was just very risky behavior and not worth the effort for me.  In any case, I'm very happy that I spent my life fighting it all instead of just giving into it.  I think that whatever you put into something, you eventually get back out.   Meetings are cool.  People generally get equal time to share.  Seeing people who are struggling reminds me of the way I was and why I want to remain sober.  And by being there, I have the potential of helping someone else.  The stuff I don't identify with I just do my best to not let bother me.  And if it gets bad there, I don't have to go back.  I can find another meeting or even just read the literature.  The literature helped me a lot.
    • Ladypcnj
      Happiness to me is when I reached a turning point in my life, that I stop worrying what others think about me, and start living my life. 
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.