• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Phobias And Fears >.<

Guest HashBrown

Guest Lee-Asher Geo-James

I was only there for a few weeks as far as I know. My grandmother came and got me. I don't worry about them "coming back" but after living through lots of nights of fear I think its just some weird built in mechanism for me that I can't help.

Its no problem.

That's true, s/he shouldn't but Lee has said he'd be unable to even bring up the words to his therapist to ask about it out of fear/emotion. So best put all his fears about this down and have the therapist confirm that s/he will be careful with Lee for Lee's own sake of confirmation.

Habits are hard to break. Coping mechanisms are hard to break. Trying to change something that you have always done is hard to change. You may never *not* be able to stop that, but who knows. :) *hugs*

Remember even though I am young (and annoying at times :lol: ) you can always PM me if you need to talk :)

I still like to say thank you. :) Even if it is ""no problem"". I really appreciate it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JJ

Guest Zolrek

Habits are hard to break. Coping mechanisms are hard to break. Trying to change something that you have always done is hard to change. You may never *not* be able to stop that, but who knows. :) *hugs*

Remember even though I am young (and annoying at times :lol: ) you can always PM me if you need to talk :)

I still like to say thank you. :) Even if it is ""no problem"". I really appreciate it.

Ah, you're only three years younger then me. I have one friend who use to follow me around and claimed to be my best friend that is 16. She's the younger sister of my roommate. Although, I mostly have older friends I do have a few younger ones.

I'd expect if I ever was able to break this habit it would take a very long time because my sleeping issues just worsen the paranoia.

Anyway, well thanks for the thank you. Feel free to contact me anytime if you need further help with letters. I do enjoy helping when I am able too.

Ah, you're only three years younger then me. I have one friend who use to follow me around and claimed to be my best friend that is 16. She's the younger sister of my roommate. Although, I mostly have older friends I do have a few younger ones.

I'd expect if I ever was able to break this habit it would take a very long time because my sleeping issues just worsen the paranoia.

Anyway, well thanks for the thank you. Feel free to contact me anytime if you need further help with letters. I do enjoy helping when I am able too.

That's funny :lol:

I hope that one day you can :) I am sure that you'll feel better once you have done so :) It'll take time but you can do it :)

Will do ^_^ Helping people give you a great feeling too? :unsure:

Guest My_Genesis

I would have to do it in writing or I would just choke up and not be able to say it, because that's just the way I am. :( I can't advocate for myself yet >.<

I don't see her until July 2nd, maybe you could give me some pointers on how to word it?

Do you know why you do that? Or why it's an issue for you? :(

That sounds a tad wee bit scary :( Especially with what I am dealing with... How would they even do that without me like getting up and walking out? I would probably be in a bad place if they showed pictures and what not :(

Is that the only way that it can be done?? How else does it work? Can any therapist do it or only certain ones??

I know I already answered some of this but as for how they would do it... they might have you look at pictures of what specifically you are afraid of (think anatomically correct pictures...) and then with fear of someone breaking into your house - they may just have you think about certain scenarios that'll freak you out at first until the thoughts don't bug you anymore...

i dunno i'm not a therapist lol. but there are ways to do it without putting you or anyone else in any actual danger.

I can kinda relate with the breaking into the house thing. I used to be afraid someone would climb a ladder up to my room and break through the window (break the window itself if it was locked) and then attack me or steal my stuff or shoot me. Eventually I got over it but for awhile I was really afraid of that. And I don't really know where it came from.

I also still have a fear of getting shot if I am walking alone at night, even though I live in a big city... who knows in quiet areas people can get away with things... I dunno why getting shot specifically but that's what I'm afraid of.

I know I already answered some of this but as for how they would do it... they might have you look at pictures of what specifically you are afraid of (think anatomically correct pictures...) and then with fear of someone breaking into your house - they may just have you think about certain scenarios that'll freak you out at first until the thoughts don't bug you anymore...

i dunno i'm not a therapist lol. but there are ways to do it without putting you or anyone else in any actual danger.

I can kinda relate with the breaking into the house thing. I used to be afraid someone would climb a ladder up to my room and break through the window (break the window itself if it was locked) and then attack me or steal my stuff or shoot me. Eventually I got over it but for awhile I was really afraid of that. And I don't really know where it came from.

I also still have a fear of getting shot if I am walking alone at night, even though I live in a big city... who knows in quiet areas people can get away with things... I dunno why getting shot specifically but that's what I'm afraid of.

That would be very scary... And I do have to say... Seeing pictures versus the real thing... I don't know just seems more scary to me...

If that makes any sense.

Well you should become a therapists :P

Do you still have that fear or did it go away on it's own?

Aw!! I wonder if it has anything to do with *where* you live... Do you have that fear everywhere you go?

Guest Micha

I'm an acrophobe. Everyone tells me to face my fear and conquer it, and I tell them to kiss my fuzzy white :excl: But then, they're idea of conquering it is to jump right into (or off of) it, instead of taking things slowly, step by step. Shock tactics don't work so well. . .

I'm an acrophobe. Everyone tells me to face my fear and conquer it, and I tell them to kiss my fuzzy white :excl: But then, they're idea of conquering it is to jump right into (or off of) it, instead of taking things slowly, step by step. Shock tactics don't work so well. . .

Yeah I don't think that they work either.

How bad is your acrophobia?

Guest Micha

I can do airplanes, so long as I stay in the thing. I can do some roller coasters, but I don't have fun at all. I get all shaky looking up while swinging or standing in the bleachers (at a ball game or somat) and I can't stand at the edge of anything higher than say 10 feet maybe? Yeah, amusement parks are out of the question, much to my wife's irritation.

I can do airplanes, so long as I stay in the thing. I can do some roller coasters, but I don't have fun at all. I get all shaky looking up while swinging or standing in the bleachers (at a ball game or somat) and I can't stand at the edge of anything higher than say 10 feet maybe? Yeah, amusement parks are out of the question, much to my wife's irritation.

Aw!!!!! *hugs* :(

Guest Hoslers_wife

You could just try talking to a friend. Sometimes friends are the best therapists :-) I'm terrified of t.v.'s in a dark room (wierd huh) so my friend got me motion censor nightlights for every room in my house.

Guest Donna Jean

Claustrophobia....

I didn't realize I had it until I was in survival school in the Air Force..

We had to do a simulated capture and were put in a box about the size of a dorm fridge..

I was squatting with my knees in my chin for an hour...

If we flipped out we washed out of the program and I wanted to fly more than anything...

I had to make my mind go somewhere else...It was awful...I wanted to scream...

And I've had to be in one of those big, enclosed MRI machines over the years...I can't stand it....Closed in....

I can't stand being restricted in any way.....

Donna Jean

You could just try talking to a friend. Sometimes friends are the best therapists :-) I'm terrified of t.v.'s in a dark room (wierd huh) so my friend got me motion censor nightlights for every room in my house.

Did that help you?

I am kinda talking to a friend about it but it's hard to with the subject of the phobia.

*Hugs* ^_^

S'not really a big deal, as long as my feet remain planted to something stable. :P

*hugs*

Claustrophobia....

I didn't realize I had it until I was in survival school in the Air Force..

We had to do a simulated capture and were put in a box about the size of a dorm fridge..

I was squatting with my knees in my chin for an hour...

If we flipped out we washed out of the program and I wanted to fly more than anything...

I had to make my mind go somewhere else...It was awful...I wanted to scream...

And I've had to be in one of those big, enclosed MRI machines over the years...I can't stand it....Closed in....

I can't stand being restricted in any way.....

Donna Jean

*hugs* I'm sorry. Are you ever in a bad situation like that?

Guest My_Genesis

That would be very scary... And I do have to say... Seeing pictures versus the real thing... I don't know just seems more scary to me...

If that makes any sense.

Well you should become a therapists :P

Do you still have that fear or did it go away on it's own?

Aw!! I wonder if it has anything to do with *where* you live... Do you have that fear everywhere you go?

I still have the fear of being shot but it's not that bad. I wouldn't even go as far as to say it's a phobia. I told you about the other phobia I have - that one's always been pretty bad... except like I said the last few times it wasn't as bad.

I don't think it has to do with where I live, cuz when I was in Colorado I had the same fear. Like someone will shoot me from ambush. I dunno, it's funny consdering our situation and things happening like what happened to Brandon Teena that I am worried about getting shot and not other things... :huh:

Not sure why pictures would scare you more. I don't think I'd make a good therapist cuz I'm not a people person :P I wanna do research though.

I have a terrible fear of unenclosed heights. Enclosed heights are fine - I love airplanes. I can do rollercoasters (though they're not really my thing; I prefer water rides :)). Ferris wheels however are the scariest amusement park ride ever invented :P And things like ski lifts - really afraid of those. Hot air balloons would probably make me pass out.

I still have the fear of being shot but it's not that bad. I wouldn't even go as far as to say it's a phobia. I told you about the other phobia I have - that one's always been pretty bad... except like I said the last few times it wasn't as bad.

I don't think it has to do with where I live, cuz when I was in Colorado I had the same fear. Like someone will shoot me from ambush. I dunno, it's funny consdering our situation and things happening like what happened to Brandon Teena that I am worried about getting shot and not other things... :huh:

Not sure why pictures would scare you more. I don't think I'd make a good therapist cuz I'm not a people person :P I wanna do research though.

I have a terrible fear of unenclosed heights. Enclosed heights are fine - I love airplanes. I can do rollercoasters (though they're not really my thing; I prefer water rides :)). Ferris wheels however are the scariest amusement park ride ever invented :P And things like ski lifts - really afraid of those. Hot air balloons would probably make me pass out.

No no. I mean like looking at the pictures is not a big deal to me :huh: Does that make any sense? I know that I don't make sense a lot of the time.

You would make a great therapist even if you aren't a """"people person"""". :D

OMG!!! I can't go on those things!!! Like I can do roller coasters because they are moving fast but I can't do the Ferris Wheel :( It goes to slow and sometimes stops when you are at the top! No thanks!!!!!!!!!

Guest My_Genesis

No no. I mean like looking at the pictures is not a big deal to me :huh: Does that make any sense? I know that I don't make sense a lot of the time.

You would make a great therapist even if you aren't a """"people person"""". :D

OMG!!! I can't go on those things!!! Like I can do roller coasters because they are moving fast but I can't do the Ferris Wheel :( It goes to slow and sometimes stops when you are at the top! No thanks!!!!!!!!!

Oh okay... LOL wow that makes SO MUCH more sense. :P That's how they would do it though - something that doesn't bug you too much and gradually build up to things that DO freak you out.

Yeah when you're just dangling on the top there... I start shaking. NOT FUN!! Should not be for little kids... lol...

Oh okay... LOL wow that makes SO MUCH more sense. :P That's how they would do it though - something that doesn't bug you too much and gradually build up to things that DO freak you out.

Yeah when you're just dangling on the top there... I start shaking. NOT FUN!! Should not be for little kids... lol...

*Wonders how they would do that...* :blink:

I hope that you don't go on those things anymore!!! I went to Six Flags or to the Great Escape (I have been to both but don't remember which one it was that I went to) and we on this ski lift kinda thing (it was so that you could see the whole park) and I was ready to jump out of the thing... I was sooooooo scared... The person I was with was like you'll be okay xD I was like NO I WON'T!!

Guest Micha

That's a crazy gray area for me. Once I was on a ferris wheel that was fairly well enclosed and I was fine (shocked the sense outta me too), but then another one that wasn't too much different gave me an anxiety attack. The ski-lift type ride didn't bug me as much though. I mean, elevated my heart rate and made me nervous, but not as intolerabley so as most things that set this phobia off. I never understood that.

My wife is determined to get me on the tower of terror. <_<

Guest My_Genesis

That's a crazy gray area for me. Once I was on a ferris wheel that was fairly well enclosed and I was fine (shocked the sense outta me too), but then another one that wasn't too much different gave me an anxiety attack. The ski-lift type ride didn't bug me as much though. I mean, elevated my heart rate and made me nervous, but not as intolerabley so as most things that set this phobia off. I never understood that.

That actually does kinda make sense... at least to me lol cuz like I said my fear is mainly unenclosed heights. I was in a gondola as opposed to a ski lift (actually never been on a ski lift) and that wasn't scary.

AHHH! I would not go on that thing unless I was heavily sedated!!! lmao

Aw!!!!!!! You need a *HUGS* Tell her no way!!

Er... What is the Tower of Terror anyways...? :unsure:

That actually does kinda make sense... at least to me lol cuz like I said my fear is mainly unenclosed heights. I was in a gondola as opposed to a ski lift (actually never been on a ski lift) and that wasn't scary.

AHHH! I would not go on that thing unless I was heavily sedated!!! lmao

Wow you are full of talk about being sedated ;)

What is a gondola?

Guest My_Genesis

Aw!!!!!!! You need a *HUGS* Tell her no way!!

Er... What is the Tower of Terror anyways...? :unsure:

Wow you are full of talk about being sedated ;)

What is a gondola?

a gondola lift.. like a cable car:

Telecabina_Panticosa.jpg

a gondola lift.. like a cable car:

Telecabina_Panticosa.jpg

That's kinda like the thing I went on!! EXCEPT!! It wasn't over snow AND it wasn't completely enclosed :(

Guest My_Genesis

That's kinda like the thing I went on!! EXCEPT!! It wasn't over snow AND it wasn't completely enclosed :(

what's the thing you went on? lol

what's the thing you went on? lol

I looked it up!!! It was the Sky Ride!!! OMG that was scary xD

Get lifted into the air on this exciting gondola ride. No height min. w/ adult. 48" min. to ride alone. No infants.

OMG I hate that thing!! I can't find a picture though :(