• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Finally Getting Laser Hair Removal.

Guest Sable Dove

Guest Sable Dove

I finally got off my butt and set up an appointment for LHR. I got a test patch on Thursday, and it seems to have gone well; the redness was gone by the evening, and there wasn't any lasting pain. I found the procedure itself far less painful than waxing, though the smell of singed hair kinda bugged me.

My first appointment is this Friday, and as far as I can tell, I got a pretty sweet deal (After taxes, it'll come to just under 3000$ (that's Canadian, FYI) for everything, spread over 8 months, which I'd say is pretty good, since the only places that aren't hairy are my upper back and shoulders). But I'm not particularly versed in the typical prices, so I don't know if I got a great deal or if I got hosed.

Sorry I'm not around much. Wish me luck?

Guest ~Brenda~

Hi Sable Dove :)

Welcome back hon.

OK, I found some links that can help you evaluate the average costs of laser hair removal.

The price that you were quoted sounds like a package deal. I am assuming that you are getting multiple parts of your body treated.

Anyway, here are the links :)

http://www.hairremovaljournal.org/removalcosts.aspx

http://www.docshop.com/education/dermatology/laser-hair-removal/cost/

http://www.laserhairremoval.com/typical-cost-laser-hair-removal.htm

Hope this helps hon

Love

Brenda

• Admin

Sounds reasonable, Sable Dove, especially if its more than just the face.

Be sure and use the lotion they recommend, which should be formulated just for LHR. It does help if you are prone to foliculitis, like I am. Not pleasant, that, and danged embarrassing to show up at work with a face full of pimples. But they fade fast. <_<

Good luck, and have loads of fun!

Carolyn Marie

Guest Sable Dove

Thank you both. :3

It is for more than my face. It's actually an unlimited package, so I'm getting everything done; face, arms, legs, front, (lower) back, bum, etc. I had a test patch done on my face too (my jaw, actually) and it wasn't any worse than my arm. Redness was gone by the end of the day, and no pimples or anything.

Honestly the worst part about LHR for me is having to be shaved, since my hair grows really fast and gets itchy. Usually in less than a day. Plus it takes a long time to go from not-at-all shaved to shaved. It's taken me four days (about 40 minutes a day) to shave my arms, most of my legs, and my chest, and it'll probably take at least another two or three to shave the rest. I can't wait to be done with shaving. :3

Guest Donna Jean

Oh my goodness!

That's a LOT of hair removal....

Let me ask you something, Hon...

Are you on HRT?

I used to be hairy enough, but after a while on HRT everything slowed down to almost nothing.

When I shaved everything ...very little grew back...

What I have now, I shave ever two weeks or so in the shower takes a couple of minutes...

You'll find many of the girls here having the very same experience...

What does grow back (like on the arms) is no more than peach fuzz...

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest Sable Dove

No, I'm not on HRT yet. My plan is to start once I'm done with school, which is almost another two years. And given that regardless of the thickness of hair, the LHR would cost the same, I figure it's probably best to start now anyways.

That, and I'm uncomfortable in short sleeves with hairy arms, so if I don't get started, I'll be cooking myself in a couple months with long sleeves and long pants.

Guest Sable Dove

Alright. Sorry for the double post.

Just got back from my first appointment. Ouch. It hurt a little more than I expected in some areas, but it wasn't much worse than waxing. I still need another session next week to get my arms, since we ran out of time. (I left my arms for last because my arms don't really bother me much when I shave them, whereas everything else itches and scratches when the hair starts growing in.)

Also, I smell like singed hair. Eww.

Guest sarah f

Sable you got a really good deal. I paid almost 2000 just for my face. If you get all those areas for 8 months than you did good Hun. Be ready for the pain to increase as they make the laser stronger each session. I hope you get really good results in that amount of time.

Guest Donna Jean

Sable, Hon.....

Well, good on you for getting it started.

Oh my goodness, the pain we suffer for beauty.....lol.

Too bad there is no permanant hair removal that is painless...they sure do make us work for it....don't they?

Glad that you have it happening now, GF!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Sable Dove

Sable you got a really good deal. I paid almost 2000 just for my face. If you get all those areas for 8 months than you did good Hun. Be ready for the pain to increase as they make the laser stronger each session. I hope you get really good results in that amount of time.

I hope it doesn't get too painful, but by far, the worst part is the few days after when I can't sit without being uncomfortable, since the hair itches and scratches when it starts growing (or extruding, I guess they call it).

Sable, Hon.....Well, good on you for getting it started.Oh my goodness, the pain we suffer for beauty.....lol.Too bad there is no permanant hair removal that is painless...they sure do make us work for it....don't they?Glad that you have it happening now, GF!HuggsDonna Jean

Thanks. :3 My idea was to put a magnifying glass on the laser so it can cover the whole body and give a couple blasts for the whole body. Impractical, maybe, but very convenient and efficient. I'm just waiting for cybernetic to roll around so I can just swap out my body for one that is much more awesome.

I'll keep you updated, but I'll probably be sparse until my next appointment.

Guest Arielle

That's a really good deal for LHR. I paid $1,600 for just the face, but even though expensive (not nearly as much as the price was discounted from) it will be so worth it to not have to shave, EVER AGAIN! I started shaving when I was 13 and never fancied the idea of it. Especially because my dad wanted me to use the cheap razors as he was too cheap to buy me one of the nicer multiblade ones (yes he was cheap as). So I grew up learning how to cut myself multiple times, put alcohol on my skin afterwards that dried it out, and how to use bar soap on every part of me, which again dried everything out. Lovely miserable time for my intro into puberty aye?

I think over time if HRT doesn't solve my harriness, I'll probably have more of my body done than just the face, but for now clothes cover what I don't want seen for the most part. My legs don't look bad after shaving.

Guest DawnK

I hope it doesn't get too painful, but by far, the worst part is the few days after when I can't sit without being uncomfortable, since the hair itches and scratches when it starts growing (or extruding, I guess they call it).

Thanks. :3 My idea was to put a magnifying glass on the laser so it can cover the whole body and give a couple blasts for the whole body. Impractical, maybe, but very convenient and efficient. I'm just waiting for cybernetic to roll around so I can just swap out my body for one that is much more awesome.

I'll keep you updated, but I'll probably be sparse until my next appointment.

Having worked on Air Force Laser system for nearly 20 years, I can tell you that the magnifying glass wouldn't work because it would expand the light and the light needs to remain focused. now maybe if there were multiple focusing lenses, maybe that would work... but probably not.

But for those who've begun HRT and used Laser Hair Removal, my questions are, 1. Does the HRT affect your body before or after it affects the hair follicles, in other words, would/does breast growth start quickly. and 2. for heavy facial hair take multiple treatments to get rid of?

• 2 months later...
Guest Sable Dove

Well, I've found my way back; sorry for being so sparse all the time. I'm not sure why I am; I just seem to get distracted and forget to come visit.

Anywho, I've now had three sessions, and I'm really noticing that my body hair is thinner, and growing more slowly. Unfortunately, it seems to be... patchy? If I look at my arm or leg, I can see some areas where growth is very slow (if it's growing at all), surrounded by areas where the hair is growing much faster.

My face is a somewhat different story; much of my facial hair is more red than black, so the laser doesn't do as well against it, though I have noticed that it seems to be growing slightly slower, and some hairs are affected by the laser, just not most of them. This leads me to a question for anyone who's ever used one of those "home electrolysis" kits or tools.

Are they effective, and permanent? I'm certain I will need electrolysis, but there really aren't any electrolysists(?) near me, which leaves the option of home electrolysis. I've read that it's a lot less efficient, and maybe more painful than if it's done professionally, but pain is not a concern of mine. So if anyone has had success with home electrolysis, I would really appreciate any advice you could give me for the future. :3

But for those who've begun HRT and used Laser Hair Removal, my questions are, 1. Does the HRT affect your body before or after it affects the hair follicles, in other words, would/does breast growth start quickly. and 2. for heavy facial hair take multiple treatments to get rid of?

My understanding is that hair reduction begins well before the changes in your body from hormones, and all hair will require multiple treatments to get rid of, and even then, you may require electrolysis to finish the job anyways.

Thanks for putting up with my long absences; I won't make any promises I can't keep, but I'll try to come here more often. <3