• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Disowned?

Guest MarkG

Guest MarkG

So it took a little while (about a month) but it's become increasingly apparent that my "dad" will never come around on this (or on the fact I'm bi, or anything else) and is increasingly getting worse. He hasn't technically disowned me yet, at least not in so many words. Probably because it would look bad, and he's rather proud of his behavior at the moment. But he ignores me, mocks and degrades and makes fun of the changes I'm making and me personally, and makes it very clear that he would go back to loving me if i would just go back to acting like his daughter again. He even goes so far as to rarely speak to me directly and often single out other people around me to talk to instead. It's rude, disrespectful, hurtful, but not unexpected. Just disappointing. I thought he'd come around but after pure silence and avoiding me, he's only changed to acting like this. I hope it doesn't get worse, but for all practical and emotional purposes, it's like I've been disowned. I really didn't think he'd go this far. Anyways, I don't mean to complain, I was mainly wondering if anyone had any advice? Has anyone else been through this, and does it get better? Is this what disowning is, or am I overreacting? I'd love to hear some support on this, cuz it kinda hurts, especially since as an FTM a dad kinda means alot, you know? But I guess we don't all get that luxury. Any thoughts?

Just in the interest of more information, my mom is becoming my biggest support and so are most of my siblings. I live at home still, because before I was so depressed I didn't care, and now I'd like to minimize making records I'm only going to resent later (wrong name, wrong gender) as much as I can until I'm a little further transitioned. I was raised strongly conservative and christian. My mom has become a rather liberal christian, and with my coming out she has managed to see god in it. My "dad"....I have no idea what he believes but I'm sure he thinks I am "morally wrong" and that he's some kind of religious martyr to still be in my presence or consent to talk to me as little as he barely does. I'm still looking for a psychiatrist who's local, so I apologize if I sound like I'm emotionally spilling over. I know I am, but I try not to dump too much. I'm hanging in there. Any advice or thoughts?

Guest Mr. Fox

No real advice, as I have not had that problem with my dad. I have heard of people whose parents eventually came around after years, so never give up all hope.

Guest Ryles_D

I got lucky. Dad's pretty good at observing, and before coming out I'd spent a few months trying to pass (including getting a binder) and a lifetime not really fitting in, so he had a bit of a warning and was pretty good about it.

Mom isn't as accepting (no, really, she thinks I'm confused), and since she has custody she's the one that could cause real problems. :/ [is it bad to have a little of you want to be disowned so the supportive parent will have more freedom to help?]

Good luck with it, though. If you don't yet, get a job. If he does disown you, that way you'll have some money saved up, an income, and you won't be completely screwed even if he kicks you out and cuts you off. And if he doesn't, you'll have that much more money to put towards transitioning once you're out of the house since it doesn't sound like he'll be happy to put his money into it.

• 7 months later...
Guest sara w.

i havn't been through this, i havn't even come out yet, hopefully he realizes he needs to learn that this is the way things are and he can't really do anything about it and as far as ridiculing you thats sad and immature, hope things get better

-sara w

Guest Sarinah

My parents are similar to yours and I just came out to them 2 weeks ago. My father is very conservative religious as well but I was able to persuade him a bit by agreeing to see a christian therapist that we both agree on. I havent made any attempts to start trying to transition publicly, which may be helping my relationship with my parents giving them more time to ease into it. I cant transition publicly because my boss would make my life miserable and eventually force me into quitting if he found out and I need to keep this job till august of next year.

As far as will your father ever come around, with time perhaps. I use to be a conservative christian and it took me nearly 15 years to stop condemning how I felt. Maybe you should do some religious research, consult with your mom, then sit down and force dad into a nice long talk about all the things you/he disagree on in regards to your gender identity, be sure to point out how his behavior is makeing you feel.

Mark,

Hey Bro, you're not the only one to not have that luxury, in fact a good many FtMs don't have it. The thing is, a lot of em didn't have it before transitioning or anything else. Of those who had one to begin with, when this happens its usually attached to extremist religious views. The almost volitile part that you're getting off him is likely directly attached to him being male and having "set in stone" ideas about what men are and women are. These are the more traditionally-valued males of the world. And you basically are screwing around with their turf. Its very threatening then if you want to keep all of the people in what you think is their "place". These are the guys who whether they've ever said it in these words do believe in "male superiority". Its easy to camoflauge that and make it paletable inside "this is dictated by the bible" or "I value the "tradional family". And I say that copping to a lot.... Do "watch your back" though, ( I hate saying that) but you wouldn't be the first to have to streetfight his old man. How hostile he gets in to you will be directly proportionate to how close he feels you actually are getting to what he's cordoned off in his mind as "his level".And if it comes to it "all bets are off". You fight to protect yourself.

On the living arrangement, I understand how it can happen -the living home because GID depression (or any depression) knocked ya down for a minute and then once it was over you didn't want to keep makin those "wrong records". What about being roommates with someone who already has a apartment? Someone who might not necessitate formaly putting you on paperwork. Maybe someone who rents from a private landlord? Or even owns their own home and is looking to take a border? You could then have your own space, pay rent or whatever, and not create a new record. I even know two folks -one who did it since they needed a place to stay while in college, another who needed a place to stay because of moving into a new state- who took jobs advertised by senior citizens looking for someone to help them at home in exchange for room and board. You wouldn't have to come out to them or anything, most seniors I know think young folks look all kinds of crazy ways anyhow

And as for the "emotionally spilling over" part, that's what this forum is here for in a way isn't it? When any of us need to spill over? In good times and bad kind of thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't help yu on the Daddy part, I'm afraid. My father and I havn't spoken to one another since 2000. But Momma and I are only gettin closer as time goes on since I came out to her. We just recently had another heart to heart like daughter/mother conversation and it feels great to hear (and know it in her voice) her say either direclty or something to the effect that this is the way we should have spoken to each other all along. My father lives in the deep south and has for years now. It was just brought to my attention about a month ago that he has cancer in his kidneys and may not be around much longer. If I'm to weep when he passes, I'll likely from my heart do so over what was never there rather than the always intoxicated imposter that was. I tell you this because you mention you Daddy's still in your presence and may (or so I hope for you) come around when he sees your Momma and yourself becoming progressively closer. My father's very alpha-male like and when I read your thread I couldn't help but to think that would be my only chance he'd capitulate and accept me. Maybe here shortly as your father notices your Momma and sibs. becoming closer he'll realize how unreasonable he's been and make efforts to be more understanding. As it turns out, I'm hopin' I lied to yu in my first sentence. But this is something only time will tell, I guess. Hang in there, Dear. I hope this all developes in your favor.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 64 Guests (See full list)

• Abigail Genevieve
    • AllieJ
    • KathyLauren
    • Susie
    • KymmieL
    • VickySGV
    • MirandaB
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

BUGFIEND
    Newest Member
    BUGFIEND

1. Bobbijean
      Bobbijean
    2. Bryan
      Bryan
      (61 years old)
    3. jlw5ju
      jlw5ju
      (27 years old)
    4. ladykirabellum
      ladykirabellum
      (47 years old)
    5. Lizzie17
      Lizzie17
    • KymmieL
      I have a fantastic therapist. She is so caring she has helped me open up so much. Unfortunately, She is ending her internship. Do to a hiring freeze at the VA she isn't going just go right into a position there.  My Endo is out of the Denver VA hospital. I haven't talked with her in probably 2 yrs. I am  looking to transfer providers and get back to seeing a GYN at the Cheyenne VA. 
    • Ladypcnj
      Trump thinks he's the chosen one.. chosen to do what?   
    • Ladypcnj
    • Birdie
      Shopping at the mall today and helping out at Torrid I excused myself to the restroom. The manager told me the restroom at JC Penny was much closer (I normally use the family restroom in the food court).   Upon arrival I discovered that JC Penny doesn't have a family restroom, it's either or.   The men's room was occupied with customers, and me going in with large breasts, long hair, and makeup was going to cause a stir, so I opted for the woman's room instead. I was the only one in the woman's room.    Texas state law does state that your must use the restroom that matches your chromosomes, and it's a misdemeanor to not do so, but it seemed to be the best choice (I really needed to go!)  
    • Ashley0616
    • ClaireBloom
      My avatar is from a T-shirt that I am just dying to buy.  Maybe soon....
    • Lydia_R
      I had some guy grab my butt on the ship.  I don't know how "real" it was, but I did not enjoy that at all.  Also did not enjoy the hazing I saw other people going through.  One person can only do so much to stop that when there are 10 people doing it.
    • Lydia_R
      Here is a legible copy (hopefully):    
    • Lydia_R
      I pulled this out of a stack of old military mementos yesterday.  I guess I didn't realize how cool this one was because I did so much of this kind of thing back then.    
    • Lydia_R
      This internet video thing is pretty amazing.  I'd call it Zoom, but there are other platforms out there.  I prefer Zoom over Teams because Zoom puts me and everyone else in the same picture.  I like seeing the whole group in one shot.  Teams of course is about having so many people that you can't get them in the shot, or is it?   Just saying that I have never met any of my counselors in person.  Doctors, of course I have and I am lucky there.  They are 3.5 miles from my house as is the main transgender surgery place in town.  I've been doing virtual visits with the medical doctors lately though.  It feels like once I became steady state, they don't need to interact with me physically that much.  I have enjoyed going into their office in my nice clothing.
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      I guess a lot depends on where you start and where you wanna end up.  For me, doing the "boy form" thing has come with disadvantages.  Smaller skeleton, thinner bones, and skinny/tiny everything.  I'll never be taken seriously.  I guess the advantage is that my way of blending in is just kind of confusing.  "Mommy, is that a boy or a girl?"    One of the biggest arguments for starting transition early in life is I think it gives a person a greater ability to pass.  My two MtF friends started early, and pass really well.  They never got to the larger bone structure, beard, deep voice stuff.  Me being intersex (which is more complicated) and not getting around to "boy form" until my 30's, my body size and features were pretty much set in stone.      You're lucky.  Some folks pay all that and more, even AFTER insurance.  One of my friends faced the choice last year - pay for her final year of college or pay for her meds.  She's taken a year off from college to work and save up money to finish.    My medical expenses have been more injury-related than therapy or medication   The state covered some of it with a fund for crime victims, insurance covered a lot, but there's ended up being a few thousand dollars spent out-of-pocket since 2022 to put me back together again.  I've never found a decent therapist, but my husband has a psych degree among other things, so I figure talking with him is almost as good.  I do have a good doctor, although I have to drive a long way to a big city to see her.  Mostly she takes a basic look at me, and writes another year's prescription.  Since I'm non-op and only using testosterone cream for a localized effect, its pretty simple stuff. 
    • Lydia_R
      I'm a tracker and I've paid for 100% of my transition costs out of pocket.  Counseling was a huge, huge part of my transition and well worth my money.  Not to be uppity about all of this.  I'm just sharing information I have because I have it and it may be useful for others.  Here is my analysis of my spending on transition over the last 2.5 years:   Medical Doctors and Blood Draws: $2,397 Counseling: $3,800 Medications (brand name): $2,702.85 Medications (generic): $485.39 Total: $9,385.24   I picked up on the internet early in transition that transition is a consumer activity.  I tend to agree with that.   This year (Jan - May 18th, 2024), I've spent: Medical Doctors: $102 Medications: $241.52 Total: $343.52   So I'm on a much more sustainable path with it.  I'm pretty happy with where I am with it, although I do still desire surgery and am nervous about how that will all unfold.  But my doctors have me on this steady state thing.  I could seek out other medications, but what I'm doing is good enough.  Oh, I'm missing something....  I did a bunch of electrolysis that didn't appear to have any effect.  I've always enjoyed shaving and I use pink shaving cream now (I've got some lipstick blond in me).  It's good enough.  Not sure if I'll do electro or laser in the future.  The need to shave my body has become less and less.  Before HRT, I was shaving my body weekly or even every 5 days.  Now it is more like 2-3 weeks.  Everyone's body hair is different.  My beard is very coarse and stiff while my body hair has been somewhat minimal and light.  It's nice to have smooth legs and not have to shave as much.   Counseling was $200/session.  I tried one or two counselors before I found one who resonated with where I really was.  When I was prescribed HRT, I didn't fill the prescription until 4 months later.  I had to take some time to decide that I really wanted to take on that lifetime financial commitment.  And of course the possibly negative health consequences too, but I think I was actually thinking more about the finances of it all.  Maybe 51%.   I did a lot of work to revitalize my career before jumping into medical transition.  I started counseling 3 months before I got the best paying job of my life.  The pressure of wanting to transition was so great that I couldn't wait any longer.  She was coming out.  Even though I had very little money, I splurged on some nice dresses and a full length mirror and then started counseling.  Sometimes you just have to move forward and hope for the best.  Other times it is better to wait and do some hard work.  The grace of it all..
    • Ivy
      And when the pressure is released it sucks in heat.  I had a regulator leaking and it was covered with ice.  It's how a heat pump works as well.   Why do they always pick names like this?  It's like the exact opposite of what it really is. I hate politics so much.  But I still have to follow it.
    • Lydia_R
      Wonderful!  This reminds me of a discussion I had with my brother a decade ago.  I said that things expand when they get hotter.  He said, no, they expand when they get colder.  And I had to think about that for a while.  The weird thing is that H20 is special in that when it reaches freezing, it expands.   The pressure makes the cold and then we see the condensation.
    • KatieSC
      I used to have a really good therapist, however, she does not accept health insurance reimbursement fees as they are too low. I had to pay 130 per session. When she decided to jack the rates to 185 per hour, I cut bait. Without a doubt, counseling is very helpful. What concerns me greatly is that we are a vulnerable population. Unfortunately, we can easily be targeted for some pretty high fees. How many of us have been in the situation where our healthcare provider, surgeons, or counselors, have required cash payments? We get jammed as well by the health insurance companies as they often will not pay for items that could be essential to our well-being. It is my contention that our chances of being targeted for violence, death, or harassment, go up when we cannot easily blend in with the female population.    For those of us that are MTF, some of us are blessed with more feminine features, and many of us are not. We get the whammy of a larger skeleton, bigger hands, bigger feet, a beard, a deep voice, and masculine face. It takes a lot for some of us to be able to blend in. My belief is that the better we blend in, the better chance we have of not being targeted. In this, electrolysis, facial feminizing/gender affirming facial surgery, voice/speech therapy with voice feminization/gender affirming voice surgery, and body contouring are all potentially lifesaving. Unfortunately, many of the insurance companies deem the procedures as cosmetic, and yet there is no cosmetic that fixes all of these issues.    If you pay your money, you can get anything you want in this world. The sad reality is that for us, many of these procedures would enhance our lives tremendously, yet we face ongoing battles with our very existence. Yeah, an empathetic therapist helps, but is it just the concept of reasonable empathy at a reasonable cost? When my therapist jacked her rates to 185 per hour, I said enough is enough. Your mileage may vary.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.