• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Feminine Waist Surgery Question...

Guest Emily_MI

Guest Emily_MI

Does anyone know the procedure to have your ribs cracked and pushed inwards to give more of a feminine waste? and also know a doctor that does provide this surgery?

Guest Donna Jean

I have to say that I don't know, but, I do seem to remember something about it some time ago....

I think that you can have the lower rib or two removed...

I'd be interested in hearing an answer to this, too...

Donna Jean

Guest sarah f

I have not heard of this before but I am interested in it. I had my doctor tell me because I was diagnosed with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome that one of the cures is to cut out my bottom rib. At the time I said I will just deal with the pain but after reading your post about it could help your figure and look more feminine than maybe it is an option for me. At least it will be paid for by insurance.

Yes I have heard of it, but haven't heard it mentioned for over 10 years. Dr. Sheila Kirk had included references to this in her hormone literature saying rib removal surgery as the only way to really get a feminine waist. That hormones won't do it. Its been a long time so that is a pretty sloppy paraphrase but that was the gist I got from it.

Rib removal and its variants (such as having cracked and pushed in) never seemed to garner much favor. I find it interesting that Sheila Kirk's literature on hormones mentioned this surgery as it just happens that either Shiela Kirk and/or one of her close associates performed this surgery.

Sheila Kirk retired back in 2000 which perhaps explains why I hadn't heard of it since. For a bit of trivia, Sheila Kirk had added SRS surgery to her practice in 1999 or 2000. It wasn't long before she retired. I recalled some issues due to her requesting and then viewing Menard perform his SRS techniques without telling him of her intent to open a practice. I think Sheila Kirk's biggest contribution to the community was her book on hormone treatment which was as I recall one of the most comprehensive pieces of literature on transgender hormone treatment at the time.

In my opinin, one is better off focusing on not being overweight so what natural waist they do have can show. Then make good clothing clothing choices and wearing the clothing correctly to show off the natural waist. Women all the time select clothing that helps show off their positives and hide the negatives.

All too often I have observed trans women squeezing into the smallest possible size that will fit around their hips. Often talking becomes a bragging point how small a size they can fit in. At such a small size they have to wear it low on their hips, well below their natural waist. This may be the typical fashion these days with low cut jeans, but the result is that they compress their hips making their already relitivly narrow hips for a woman look even more narrow. Then then have nothing to push in their natural waist so it looks larger. In the worst cases, to get the small size to fit they wear it so low that their (for lack of better term) beer gut hangs over. Great image eh?

In my opinion, one is better served by getting a size or two larger and wear it up on ones natural waist. Perhaps use a belt even. This will press in the waist and if the garment isn't so tight it will hang wider over hips allowing the natural waist to show.

Guest Emily_MI

A girlfriend of mine knows another girl who had this done awhile ago, unfortunately she does not know what the procedure is called but does know that the Doctor was Dr Ramirez in Guadalajara, Mexico, of course there is no website for this Doctor so I will have to see if I can find out more from Google or something.

Guest perlitarose

sorry girls, do not WAIST YOU MONEY AND TIME. If you rmeove any of the floatin ribs, they just grow back. Floating tibs are composed of cartilage (mostly). Not physiciian in his /her right mind will remove a fix rib as the consequences could be pretty deadly.

For the good nes, ther is procedure by which the transverse mucles are tightened which together with a lipo does reuslt in a signifcant (several inches) reduction.

• 11 months later...
Guest CindyBeeMe

I met someone who had her floating ribs cracked and then she wore a really tight corset for 1O days. She did have a small waist. She also had tons of medical procedures including tons of silicone injections. I think she had it done in Mexico. She seemed happy. I am not advocating for it and in fact I agree with Drea about choosing figure flattering clothes. It's amazing what you can do.

Cindy

• Root Admin

I wouldn't recommend getting the silicone injections. The silicone can migrate to other parts of the body causing a whole lot of problems.

MaryEllen

Guest AlexForever

What about corsetting? It is a serious body-mod and you have to know what you're doing if you want to practice it, but it can give amazing results!

Guest AlyTheGreatAngel

Well I my waist is 28 inchs right now and I heard about this I would really want a 24inch waist but I would love a 23in. But saddly I dont have the money for any surgerys soooo. Push up bras for me, sit ups, and tucking :( Oh and make up magic lol..... *Runs to go exercise*

Guest Elizabeth K

We are our own worst critics. MTF anyway.

Ladies - look at natal women! Do a Walmart test for waistlines. Look at the appropriateness of a 'wasp waist' for your age. Consider that your ribs are there for a reason, to protect internal organs under them, including your liver and your heart. What would such work do to the proportions of your existing body shape?

Do you really need this kind of surgery?

I just feel queezy about all this - I mean it's a surgery that potentially has been considered for many years, yet we know little to nothing about it.

If it was easy, inexpensive... and it had the desired results... wouldn't we T-Girls be lined up outside the surgeons doors?

Just me

Lizzy

Guest Elizabeth K

We are our own worst critics. MTF anyway.

Ladies - look at natal women! Do a Walmart test for waistlines. Look at the appropriateness of a 'wasp waist' for your age. Consider that your ribs are there for a reason, to protect internal organs under them, including your liver and your heart. What would such work do to the proportions of your existing body shape?

Do you really need this kind of surgery?

I just feel queezy about all this - I mean it's a surgery that potentially has been considered for many years, yet we know little to nothing about it.

If it was easy, inexpensive... and it had the desired results... wouldn't we T-Girls be lined up outside the surgeons doors?

Just me

Lizzy

Google 'Rib Removal" and the fourth choice gives you a site run by a Dr. Stone. As there is some nudity, I include only this part:

Rib removal is used to create an hourglass figure as an adjunctive procedure to abdominoplasty which elevates, redrapes and tightens the abdomen and waist. The floating ribs (numbers 11 and 12) do not come all the way around to meet the breast bone in the front. Number 12 is only on the back and sides while 11 does come to the front of the body. Most of ribs 11 and 12 and occasionally 10 are removed to give patients a more feminine hourglass figure via an abdominoplasty incision. This operation should not be treated lightly. It is not reversible and should be done in the hospital with an overnight stay. The patient has to be a candidate for an abdominoplasty before rib removal is performed. The ribs do not grow back.

Wikipedia says Abdominoplasty or "tummy tuck" is a cosmetic surgery procedure used to make the abdomen more firm. The surgery involves the removal of excess skin and fat from the middle and lower abdomen in order to tighten the muscle and fascia of the abdominal wall. This type of surgery is usually sought by patients with loose tissues after pregnancy or individuals with sagging after major weight loss.

Wikipedia also says Rib Removal is a surgical operation, usually performed on the lowest ribs to make the waist thinner. This is considered 'extreme' and is rarely formally documented.[1] A more common activity, with documented results, is termed "rib resection" which is performed where ribs have been crushed, damaged or entry to the thoracic region is required on for other medical reasons.

In conjunction with abdominoplasty, rib removal gives patients an hourglass figure. In the past, this type of plastic surgery was popularized by certain celebrity dieters wishing to achieve an extra-lean body shape.

Rib removal per se does not reduce waist circumference. An improved waist size is accomplished only by the removal of surplus body fat. This is why rib removal is typically combined with abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), a surgical procedure designed to remove excess skin and fat tissue from the abdomen and to tighten the muscles of the abdominal wall. Abdominoplasty is sometimes combined with liposuction, depending on the degree of loose skin, excess fat, and abdominal muscle weakness in the patient.

That's what I found

Lizzy

Guest Hayley

Also Rib Resection will put you about $16,000 in the hole. I'm not sure if you have that kind of money, I certainly don't (unless I win the lotto or something :P )

Guest Hayley

I tried waist cinching for a while, but I would always wake up in the morning with my spine feeling like it had turned to jello and badly needing to flex! It got so painful that I gave it up. I've been thinking about double checking with my doctor about what could be causing it but I'm not expecting a very informative response.