• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Am Now One Of The Secretaries For The Mhac At The Va San Diego

Guest Emily Ray

Hey Vets

The councils go by many names in different VA facilities across the country. But, It is strongly encouraged that every Medical Center or large facility that offers mental health care to have one by D.C. They are all veteran run and independent of the VA itself kind of like the Inspector General. In San diego the council lost all but two of it original members because of moves or other commitments, so they are basicly starting from scratch. Our liason is a very energetic young female psychologist. It looks like her and I are the only females on the panel though she is non voting. this panel appears designed to be as powerful as the members decide to make it. I brought up the issue of disparet levels of care in the meeting and she was all over that. another Vet brought up vet run group therapy sessions and she loved that idea as well. After the meeting I had a chance to discuss some of the interesting things about us and our larger the normal veteran population. She had no idea it was that high, but after I explained why she was like "that makes total sense." She also was recently in Thailand and found the transgendered population there facinating.

The bottom line. If you want a say in the services offered by your local VA there is a commitee waiting with a seat. Find it and make the changes yourself. If your facility doesn't have one find out why and make them form one.

Huggs

Emily

• Admin

Thanks for posting this, Emily.

I hate to sound ignorant, but would you mind explaining what the acronym stands for, for us non-military types? I figured it was Mental Health Advisory Council, but wasn't sure. Thanks

Carolyn Marie

Guest Emily Ray

Sure, The acronym stands for Mental Health Advocacy Council. It is a way vets can influence their care at a broader level. The VA has been embraceing The Recovery model of mental health and every hospital has a Recovery Coordinator to implement that vision. Find this person and they can get you involved in the decision making process at your facility, don't just complain about it here is a way for you to improve it. some facilities have an LGBT advocate, if you are not being treated properly find out if yours does and speek with them. Mine doesn't, but I don't think it is necessary either, but the presence of someone LGBT on the MHAC is a definite need i think. I look forward to the next year as I work to influence the care I and thousands of other vets are offerd here in Sandiego.

huggs,

Emily