• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Head Phones Not Working

Guest HashBrown

Guest Lee-Asher Geo-James

The head phones work fine. I put them in my MP3 player and they work but they won't work in my computer. The speakers work fine though. I did a lot of looking up and can't figuring out what's wrong with it. Can any one help me out? I have a vista and it's a Dell Inspiron. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Idk about yours but if it's like mine, I swapped out the speaker cord and mic/headphone thing so much it damaged the port. Could be that. Iunno to be honest.

Guest Donna Jean

Geo....

How are they hooked up?

USB....or in the red-green-blue places that are usually on the back?

Also...on the task bar on the bottom right is there a little speaker there? If so, double click and that should bring up the sound console ...make sure the headphone outlet isn't turned off there...

Donna Jean

Guest April63

I know it's a dumb question, but did you make sure you plugged them in to the headphone port not the microphone?

Also, you could have the headphones muted or disabled. To fix that you would go somewhere in sound options or control panel. Sorry I'm not too familiar with Vista, but I'll go check my other machine if you're still having the problem.

Idk about yours but if it's like mine, I swapped out the speaker cord and mic/headphone thing so much it damaged the port. Could be that. Iunno to be honest.

I don't think that they are damaged. It was working fine this morning before I left. I tried to use it when I got back and it's not. :huh:

Geo....

How are they hooked up?

USB....or in the red-green-blue places that are usually on the back?

Also...on the task bar on the bottom right is there a little speaker there? If so, double click and that should bring up the sound console ...make sure the headphone outlet isn't turned off there...

Donna Jean

It's a laptop. Only one head phone jack in this one (the temp I was using had two this is why I mention this). It's in the front next to the mic jack.

I checked that and nothing is muted. The headphone/speaker thing is up all the way so I don't get why it's doing that. :(

I don't know what else to check.

I checked the sound thing too.

Stu helped with it but everything I tried didn't work :(

I know it's a dumb question, but did you make sure you plugged them in to the headphone port not the microphone?

Also, you could have the headphones muted or disabled. To fix that you would go somewhere in sound options or control panel. Sorry I'm not too familiar with Vista, but I'll go check my other machine if you're still having the problem.

I did check that :lol: I was like mmm maybe I messed up so I checked. Nope it was the right one. Then I thought that maybe I some how messed them up and they got switched :huh: So that the head phone jack was the mic jack and vis versa :huh: But nope that didn't work either :lol:

Yea I checked that too but it didn't work. I tried all that and it still didn't work :(

This is why I would rather have a Mac... My friend has one and doesn't have these kinda issues <_<

Guest Zolrek

Go to the control panel, then hardware and sound then manage audio devices. Plug in your headphones and see if they show up in the list of icons. If they do, click on them and choose to set it as a default or test them. I'm giving you the windows 7 work through but vista shouldn't be too different of a set up.

If they don't show up in your audio devices, then either your diver for your headphones has failed, gone missing, out of date or the jack has failed.

When it comes to your driver, you can google search for free driver updaters to scan and fix your missing or broken headphone driver. There may be a few scanners that want you to pay but there are free ones. If your jack itself is messed up then you can bring it in to be fixed...maybe...depends on if it's just loose or can be replaced. If I was there I'd take a look for you...

Go to the control panel, then hardware and sound then manage audio devices. Plug in your headphones and see if they show up in the list of icons. If they do, click on them and choose to set it as a default or test them. I'm giving you the windows 7 work through but vista shouldn't be too different of a set up.

If they don't show up in your audio devices, then either your diver for your headphones has failed, gone missing, out of date or the jack has failed.

When it comes to your driver, you can google search for free driver updaters to scan and fix your missing or broken headphone driver. There may be a few scanners that want you to pay but there are free ones. If your jack itself is messed up then you can bring it in to be fixed...maybe...depends on if it's just loose or can be replaced. If I was there I'd take a look for you...

Before I plug the headphones in there are two options that show up: Speakers/Headphones AND Independent (R.T.C) Headphones. I tried to set both of those as default and the headphones still didn't work out for me. <_< There's no way to test the second option either :(

How do you determine the best one to get? Which ones won't mess up my computer? This computer has been through so much in the past couple of months <_< It has had to go in twice to be fixed <_< Once my mum slammed it shut and it wouldn't turn on. Had to go back to the company <_< Then when I got it back they had put Windows 7 on it (was originally Vista) and had to go back to get fixed into a vista again <_< If I have to send it back for them to fix it, am I going to lose everything that's on here (again)?

I'm sure you would :)

Guest Zolrek

Before I plug the headphones in there are two options that show up: Speakers/Headphones AND Independent (R.T.C) Headphones. I tried to set both of those as default and the headphones still didn't work out for me. <_< There's no way to test the second option either :(

How do you determine the best one to get? Which ones won't mess up my computer? This computer has been through so much in the past couple of months <_< It has had to go in twice to be fixed <_< Once my mum slammed it shut and it wouldn't turn on. Had to go back to the company <_< Then when I got it back they had put Windows 7 on it (was originally Vista) and had to go back to get fixed into a vista again <_< If I have to send it back for them to fix it, am I going to lose everything that's on here (again)?

I'm sure you would :)

If it's really been through so much beating I wouldn't be shocked if the jack has been damaged(it's possible for it to pick up your headphones but drop it and pick it up over and over because its loose). However, when you go to have your drivers scanned and replaced the program that does it will decide which is best. You don't need to worry about anything. I'd just relax and let the program do it's thing. I could try to point you towards a driver scanner, but it's been along time since I've used a free one that I'm not sure which ones want you to pay in the end. You'd have to just try it out...if it ends up being 100% free, though, then I'd like to know so I have something to point people towards.

If it's really been through so much beating I wouldn't be shocked if the jack has been damaged.(it's possible for it to pick up your headphones but drop it and pick it up over and over because its loose) However, when you go to have your drivers scanned and replaced the program that does it will decide which is best. You don't need to worry about anything. I'd just relax and let the program do it's thing. I could try to point you towards a driver scanner, but it's been along time since I've used a free one that I'm not sure which ones want you to pay in the end. You'd have to just try it out...if it ends up being 100% free, though, then I'd like to know so I have something to point people towards.

It had only that one time and it worked fine after that. Before April though I don't know if it's had any beatings or anything because it was my mum's back then and I don't know what she did with it :unsure:

I will Google some and see what ones are free (or ends up being free) and I will totally let you know.

Is there any chance that something bad could happen though? I am a tad wee paranoid when it comes to this stuff :P

Guest Zolrek

It had only that one time and it worked fine after that. Before April though I don't know if it's had any beatings or anything because it was my mum's back then and I don't know what she did with it :unsure:

I will Google some and see what ones are free (or ends up being free) and I will totally let you know.

Is there any chance that something bad could happen though? I am a tad wee paranoid when it comes to this stuff :P

By the way..on a none techie note..are you sure your pushing your headphones in all the way? :lol:

If you stay on safe websites there shouldn't be a issue. Most driver updaters that give you free scans and updates will have "extra features" that aren't included unless you pay...which who really cares about when its the drivers you're solely after?

I'm pretty sure this is the driver I used for free, a long time ago with my computer: http://driverrobot.com/

I had the same issue with my desktop except it was the dvd drive that wasn't working.

By the way..on a none techie note..are you sure your pushing your headphones in all the way? :lol:

If you stay on safe websites there shouldn't be a issue. Most driver updaters that give you free scans and updates will have "extra features" that aren't included unless you pay...which who really cares about when its the drivers you're solely after?

I'm pretty sure this is the driver I used for free, a long time ago with my computer: http://driverrobot.com/

I had the same issue with my desktop except it was the dvd drive that wasn't working.

Oh, I just read more into it's pages. Look like it may only have the scan for free now...

Um... I can check on that :P

*checks to see if that's what it is*

That's not the issue :mellow:

How will I know if they are safe or not? :huh:

Just got an email notification... Stopping here :P

Guest Zolrek

Okies Ta :D I will give it a go :)

You didn't even give me a chance to look yet :P

Well, I downloaded the program, gave it a scan then tried it out to see if it would give me the option to update the drivers or if it would say "thanks for scanning, now buy our product and then you can update your drivers!". It was actually going to let me update so I was thrilled. I didn't update, though, as I see no need for it on my laptop. I'm putting faith in it not tricking me into thinking it's free and ending up being not even past that point.

I also looked on another website for a review on it before I downloaded it. They all say its safe and works...but they suggest that you manually choose what you want updated to make the process faster - rather then letting it just update whatever it wants. However, I guess that's a personal choice rather then a vital choice.

By the way I didn't fully explain myself in your last posts. When you said you saw there are options for your headphones but it still wasn't working, I still would assume that there are driver problems.

Well, I downloaded the program, gave it a scan then tried it out to see if it would give me the option to update the drivers or if it would say "thanks for scanning, now buy our product and then you can update your drivers!". It was actually going to let me update so I was thrilled. I didn't update, though, as I see no need for it on my laptop.

I also looked on another website for a review on it before I downloaded it. They all safe its safe and works...but they suggest that you manually choose what you want updated to make the process faster - rather then letting it just update whatever it wants. However, I guess that's a personal choice rather then a vital choice.

By the way I didn't fully explain myself in your last posts. When you said you saw there are options for your headphones but it still wasn't working, I still would assume that there are driver problems.

As I said before this showed up :P I hear static now but nothing else. No music will play for me <_<

It kept saying that I had to pay for it :huh: So I am very very confused and it's hard to concentrate at the moment >.< So bear with me :P

I wouldn't know what to pick though >.< I don't know enough about computers to get that stuff... I can do all the basics and what not but that's pretty much it. :lol:

I'll take your word for it :P

Guest Zolrek

As I said before this showed up :P I hear static now but nothing else. No music will play for me <_<

It kept saying that I had to pay for it :huh: So I am very very confused and it's hard to concentrate at the moment >.< So bear with me :P

I wouldn't know what to pick though >.< I don't know enough about computers to get that stuff... I can do all the basics and what not but that's pretty much it. :lol:

I'll take your word for it :P

Which scanner said you had to pay? The one I just posted - or the one I posted before?

Which scanner said you had to pay? The one I just posted - or the one I posted before?

The driver one... I think it was the second one >.< Maybe I read it wrong? It said register... Same thing right? :huh:

Guest Zolrek

I now have the sound of static but nothing else... No music will play :mellow:

Sometimes that's a sign you put it in the wrong jack.

You need to make sure you put it in the right hole. ;)

Must...not...laugh.

Sometimes that's a sign you put it in the wrong jack.

You need to make sure you put it in the right hole. ;)

Must...not...laugh.

O

M

G

!!!!

You are the second person to say that and of course... My mind wonders :rolleyes: *laughs*

Um... It's the right hole :P

Guest Zolrek

The driver one... I think it was the second one >.< Maybe I read it wrong? It said register... Same thing right? :huh:

http://www.drivershq.com/

This one?

If it asks you to pay in order to register then its not free. If it just wants to send you advertisements through email it might actually still be free. I would just give it a email I don't use often. Although, its up to you. It may be harder then I thought to find a free one. I just pay for mine now.

http://www.drivershq.com/

This one?

If it asks you to pay in order to register then its not free. If it just wants to send you advertisements through email it might actually still be free. I would just give it a email I don't use often. Although, its up to you. It may be harder then I thought to find a free one. I just pay for mine now.

Yes that one. It brought me to this page with all the prices of it and said to register to get the full thing...

Or I read it wrong...

I have a spam email but I think that it wanted me to pay...

I don't have money to pay for it so... Kinda um... Not good (trying to refrain from getting mad and swearing because that never comes out right on a censored site :rolleyes: )

*sigh*

Guest Zolrek

Yes that one. It brought me to this page with all the prices of it and said to register to get the full thing...

Or I read it wrong...

I have a spam email but I think that it wanted me to pay...

I don't have money to pay for it so... Kinda um... Not good (trying to refrain from getting mad and swearing because that never comes out right on a censored site :rolleyes: )

*sigh*

Hmm strange I didn't come across that..but I didn't run the updater like I said...

It's alright. I know it's annoying. I could give you a more technical run through how to manually fix it without a scanner. We can find out what exact driver is going array and attempt to seek it out online but I'm not sure how well I could explain it to you.

On second thought, seeing as you're using vista, does your computer use a realtek card? It's possible the setup has gone screwy and you don't need to fix the driver or the jack. I could try to explain to you how to deal with the realtek setup.