• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Mental Changes After Hormones

Guest AndreaSC

Guest Donna Jean

How long after starting to take hormones do the mental effects become noticeable?

Most people report feeling euphoric after taking the very first pill...

Of course that's all psycological..

The true effects of HRT (mood swings...etc....) take a month or two to become evident...

Of course, the timeline is different for everyone!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K

10 seconds after the first pill - REALLY - you are on your way! heady stuff.

First week - psychosymatic of course, but very real. You KNOW and that changes everything.

First nudges about a month to two months - you brain starts noticing "HEY, I HAVE ESTROGEN, FINALLY! I CAN WORK LIKE I'M SUPPOSED TO!

Six months - HONEY, you are 'a gone pecan!' Suddenly you realize you just THOUGHT you knew what it was to be a woman - now the real emotions and feelings kick in! Not what you thought it was at all - better!

A year - that anniversary? It makes you wonder if you were really ever a man. Of COURSE NOT - you were never male, that is just wrong. You were born female - and are now, will always be female. You definately accept that - it is so clear.

Post one year - I am 19 months HRT - I now can be less concerned of where I am going. I have pretty well survived the roller coaster ride so far. Now it is simpler, yet more complicated. I have to grow up as a woman. I have to put my true emotions together and be myself. That's all I need - and to learn how to defend myself as a woman... all we women have really is words. It's a different world for us.

I hope this helps.

Lizzy

Guest sarah f

I started to notice things about a month in. I started to notice my breasts hurting within one week. It varies from person to person though.

Guest KirstenR

I started to notice things about a month in. I started to notice my breasts hurting within one week. It varies from person to person though.

How much of the mental changes did you feel were due to the hormones themselves vs the psychosomatic effects because you were on hormones. I gave read that after 6-9 months on hormones your mind permanently shifts to female thought patterns. Not sure what the means if I have always had female thought patterns. Does that mean sexual orientation?

Guest Donna Jean

How much of the mental changes did you feel were due to the hormones themselves vs the psychosomatic effects because you were on hormones. I gave read that after 6-9 months on hormones your mind permanently shifts to female thought patterns. Not sure what the means if I have always had female thought patterns. Does that mean sexual orientation?

No, Hon....not sexual orientation....That is not really an effect of hormones...that is something that you have within you...

The effects of the hormones themselves?

Well, you find it easier to cry and most report that they do it quite readily...

Your mood can be all over the place (mood swings) laughing at one moment and crying the next...

The highs seem higher and the lows lower...

Feelings of things just being "right"....

Remember...your brain will be running on the right fuel (Estrogen) now and you'll feel that...

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest sarah f

Kirsten I can tell you from experience that I cried all the way home from work one day because of things going on. I never did that before starting hormones. I am different in the way I act toward people to. I am nicer than before because I have calmed down and I am not in such a rush anymore. When I get there I get there. It is hard to explain but you just know that you are different mentally. I hope this helped.

Guest AshleySummers

After 3 months, I cry easily, especially at something sad or hurtful. I'm generally in a very peppy mood, and overall feel emotionally well, almost like I'm taking an anti-depressant, however I can have wicked mood swings.

Guest N. Jane
Of course that's all psycological..

Oh I wouldn't say THAT! The effects can come quite quickly when your hormones suddenly shift.

I was about 14 when I first got my hands on estrogen (The Pill) back in 1963. The dosages then were more than 15x higher than today and within 24 hours I was experiencing Morning Sickness.

Now everybody knew I was "different" but my parents (of all people) were pretty sure I was physically male but I was quite girlie and spent a LOT of time with a particular boy.

Morning sickness is NOT very pleasant but it was almost worth it for the effect at the breakfast table. My Mum (who was a master at ignoring the problem) pretended not to notice, My younger sister could hardly contain her giggles, and my Dad just looked gravely concerned and VERY puzzled :unsure:

My response (remember, I was 14!) was "Oh shut up!"

Guest Donna Jean

Oh I wouldn't say THAT! The effects can come quite quickly when your hormones suddenly shift.

LOL........

N.J. I meant within the first minutes......

So...at 14, eh?

Oh my, you were really going places, weren't you?....lol

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest Emily Ray

Kirsten

I can say that at five months I am fully thinking like a woman and even an occasional guy will catch my attention. But, really so far it has been Drummers and Tall, Dark and Dangerous men.

Huggs,

Emily

Guest KirstenR

Kirsten

I can say that at five months I am fully thinking like a woman and even an occasional guy will catch my attention. But, really so far it has been Drummers and Tall, Dark and Dangerous men.

Huggs,

Emily

Emily,

I have to say that is exciting and scary, I don't think I have any attraction towards men but I am willing to take the road where ever it leads. Was that something that caught you off guard and hit you like a surprise? It's all so amazing