• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Thoughts On Top Surgery

Guest Just_Call_Me_Nick

Guest Just_Call_Me_Nick

There has been alot of talk lately about top surgeries...and some with great endings and not so great endings. The last post Huff made....made me really serously think about going forward with it...however I am hesitate only for one reason...the size of my breasts...my size is size D....which is large...at least to me...so I am worried a bit...curious more then anything if because of my size would it be more difficult to remove...and with more complications.

And also forgive my ignorance on this one...but would it cost more because of the size of my breasts...as you know a bra goes up in money the larger you go...so I was just wondering...

Wow...first time I actually became embarrassed to ask a question.... :blush:

Oh well as they have always told me...and what I have always passed on..."no question is a stupid question" I hope that applies to this one.... B)

Nick~

Guest Wolfgang E. Beilschmidt

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I've talked to Dr. Brownstein and sent him pictures of my massive F cup tumors. The price he quoted me was $8500, which includes hospital fee and anesthesia. From what I've heard, that's about the same amount he charges everyone who's getting double incision.

Guest Just_Call_Me_Nick
I haven't had my surgery yet, but I've talked to Dr. Brownstein and sent him pictures of my massive F cup tumors. The price he quoted me was $8500, which includes hospital fee and anesthesia. From what I've heard, that's about the same amount he charges everyone who's getting double incision.

Well certainly is good news to hear...thanks for the reply....

Nick~

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Solomon

Hello, unfortunately to my knowledge the costs of chest surgery does tend to go up in price somewhat for larger breasts versus small breasts (but this varies from doctor to doctor and is not set in stone). Sometimes cost to the patient will be increased depending on what surgical technique the doctor uses for a particular chest. You will probably want to look for a doctor who has a set rate for bilateral mastectomy (which is one of the more commonly used techniques on moderate to larger breast sizes). From what I know larger sizes do not mean more complications, unless the patient is drastically overweight or has other noted health issues. Sometimes if a patient is minorly overweight or has a lot of excess skin tissues around the breasts or underarm area the chance of needing a small revision surgery will go up somewhat. Many doctors will not perform the surgery if you are over a certain weight for your height/size, but otherwise you should be fine and see good results.

Scarring will vary because of your genetics, health, and body frame as well as other factors but you should not think of a D size chest as a hinderance to prevent you from getting chest surgery. Ds are definately not that far off the norm for the average patient's size. Dr Brownstein's website has a decent overview of his preferred surgical techniques and some examples of his work. I'm definately going to get chest surgery (hopefully within the next year or so) and I am considering Brownstein as my first or second choice for the surgeon, but may go with someone closer to where I live.

Dr. Brownstein's Top Surgery Overview

Here's some examples of chest surgery from Dr. Brownstein (various sizes)

Wishing you luck,

Solomon

Guest Just_Call_Me_Nick
Hello, unfortunately to my knowledge the costs of chest surgery does tend to go up in price somewhat for larger breasts versus small breasts (but this varies from doctor to doctor and is not set in stone). Sometimes cost to the patient will be increased depending on what surgical technique the doctor uses for a particular chest. You will probably want to look for a doctor who has a set rate for bilateral mastectomy (which is one of the more commonly used techniques on moderate to larger breast sizes). From what I know larger sizes do not mean more complications, unless the patient is drastically overweight or has other noted health issues. Sometimes if a patient is minorly overweight or has a lot of excess skin tissues around the breasts or underarm area the chance of needing a small revision surgery will go up somewhat. Many doctors will not perform the surgery if you are over a certain weight for your height/size, but otherwise you should be fine and see good results.

Scarring will vary because of your genetics, health, and body frame as well as other factors but you should not think of a D size chest as a hinderance to prevent you from getting chest surgery. Ds are definately not that far off the norm for the average patient's size. Dr Brownstein's website has a decent overview of his preferred surgical techniques and some examples of his work. I'm definately going to get chest surgery (hopefully within the next year or so) and I am considering Brownstein as my first or second choice for the surgeon, but may go with someone closer to where I live.

Dr. Brownstein's Top Surgery Overview

Here's some examples of chest surgery from Dr. Brownstein (various sizes)

Wishing you luck,

Solomon

Thanks Solomon...just the information I been looking for....thanks again!

Nick~

Guest Mr. Fox

Don't really know much, but to a certain point price must go up a bit with size. Those lucky dogs with A-cups can just get peri-areolar, while more buxom men have to get a bilateral mastectomy. Well, heck, this is a pointless post. Well, bye.

Adrian

I need a doctor who'll do someone who is 16 and not to pricey, cuz I'll be paying for most of this myself when I get a job.

Any help?

a guy i know who's 17 is getting his done with Dr. Brownstein in san fransisco...although you need parental consent (you'd need it anywhere) and i'm not sure about the price.

Guest StrandedOutThere

In addition to cost, I'd be curious about the results for those with large versus small breasts. Is recovery, pain, risk of complications about the same? It seems like it would be worse for those of us (sadly) in the D cup and up range because more tissue is taken out. Anyone have any experience there?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Tabe
I'm extremely obese but I have small breasts. What a conundrum! I could get a peri-areolar if I wasn't so fat.

Haha, same here. Motivation to lose weight if there was any, eh?

I've learned that saying to myself "those cookies will make you more female" does wonders, in that respect.

Guest Drew
I need a doctor who'll do someone who is 16 and not to pricey, cuz I'll be paying for most of this myself when I get a job.

Any help?

Dr. Brownstein in SF will do people as young as 13 or 14 as long as they have been on T for a pre-specified amount of time and have letters from a therapist and a social worker, as will Dr. Menard at GRS Montreal. Dr. Menard is cheaper and the price includes staying at the care facility for about a week, as opposed to Dr. Brownstein where you will just be sent back to your hotel. i had my surgery with Dr. Menard and would highly recommend him.

• 2 weeks later...
But Dr. Menard is in Canada, right?

yeah, he is. quebec actually (a province :rolleyes: ) for me, the language barrier was a little awkward (they speak mostly french) but i had a canadian friend there with me :P ...also, Dr. Menard is cheaper by about, and don't quote me on this, $2,000

• 1 month later...
Guest My_Genesis
Haha, same here. Motivation to lose weight if there was any, eh?

I've learned that saying to myself "those cookies will make you more female" does wonders, in that respect.

That reminds me of when I'm trying to do something like open a jar, or win a game online, or lift something heavy, and I say "I can do this, I'm a man"...works every time :lol:

Guest Evan_J

Whoa. Now THAT is motivation.

And yeah like a lot of transfolk (men esp it seems...) surgeries are my big reason for wanting to drop pounds. As far as top surgery the most consistent thing I hear is that while the surgeon may do it at "x" weight you'll probably have "dog ears" (excess skin and tissue under the arms) afterwards and they'll have to be removed later.

Also, for $ near where I live -the midwest- most of the quotes I've been hearing are in the $8500 range as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest My_Genesis

I have a question relating to this topic..try to go into as little detail as possible :huh: ..I'm an A-cup, maybe not even, b/c technically an A-cup is a 1-inch difference between the 2 measurements you take, and my measurements are 34-34, I've done it over and over..and over..lol

anyway, i remember reading something about if you have like a larger areola it makes the surgery more difficult to do and can affect the results...well i have that (that's probably half of it right there lol -_-) so i was wondering if this was true, like if i were to get keyhole, would it not be as effective, more complications, not as realistic or whatever because of that? Because I looked at pictures on transster and ppl who got keyhole also were A-cups (some even looked smaller :huh:) but none of them seemed to have this "issue"..so yeah anyways i was wondering.. :blush: