• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Out To My Son, At Long Last

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

My only child is 17, and just finished his junior year. I've waited almost a year to tell him about me, not wanting to disrupt his studies by putting this complication on his already full plate. I've alternately relished it, and dreaded it, not knowing how it would end, but fearing the worst. Losing his love and respect would have been more than I could bear.

Well, we had our talk this morning, and while it was the most difficult thing I've ever done, it turned out just the way I had hoped it would these many months. He still loves me, still respects me, and said he always would. He admires my courage, thinks that what I do here at Laura's is fantastic, and said he will support me through whatever happens in the coming months.

OMG, we both cried a lot, and hugged a lot, and I told him how very proud I am of him (I'm crying as I write this) and that I would always be his dad, and would always be there for him.

He understands why I waited so long to tell him, and is sad that I had to keep Carolyn in a mental prison for 20 years before finding my true self. He understood how difficult it was to tell him, and tell my wife.

I guess I've done a pretty good job raising him, after all. I should have known it would turn out this way, but was afraid to let myself believe it. I am incredibly proud to have such a child. We have always been close. This will bring us closer still.

I love you, Jay.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Hildagard

Oh my, Carolyn you beautiful woman, you have a gorgeous son! I would love to meet him and shake his hand.

I want to give you such a big, huge, morbidly obese cuddle right now!

This sort of thing is so beyond beauty its just, wow -tears up-

He is such a beautiful kid!

Love, Hilda.

P.S Oh weep, oh cry! Oh how joyous!

I guess I've done a pretty good job raising him, after all. I should have known it would turn out this way, but was afraid to let myself believe it. I am incredibly proud to have such a child. We have always been close. This will bring us closer still.

I love you, Jay.

Carolyn Marie

Wonderful News Carolyn :)

I am so very happy for you.

You are right he is a wonderful child and will become a fantastic man.

You and you wife should be very proud of such a incredible individual you son is and will be.

(((((((HUGS)))))))

Congratulations Dear.

:wub:

Ree

• Forum Moderator

Carolyn

I'm so happy for you! My only child is my biggest supporter. Her only request was that she could still call me Mom and I'd never want to change that anyway!

Enjoy the special joy that raising a great child brings!

Love

JJ

Guest sarah f

I am so happy for you right now Carolyn. That is great news and a burden lifted off of your shoulders. I am glad it went so well and he is so accepting of you.

Guest Donna Jean

Carolyn.....

I haven't been on since yesterday....

I just got here an this the first thing I find.....

Well, you know what a crybaby I am......'nuff said....

A real bigg hugg would be in order right now....it's that stupid distance thing, though...

Oh....and here's a little secret....I knew this was how it was gonna turn out! You kid has learned your values!

Bunches of love!

Dee Jay

• Admin

Thank you so much, everyone.

My son had very few questions, which surprised me. He asked if being TG is inherited, and I answered as honestly as I knew how.

But he said he had never had any thoughts or feelings about being in the wrong body, so I reassured him that it was extremely unlikely

that he would become TG this late in life.

I talked to him about guilt, and about the feelings I have discovered since finding Carolyn; that I can now give and and receive love

so much more freely, and I see the world in all its colors, and not just shades of brown and gray. He said he understood the latter,

more than I could guess. I suppose there are some parts of even the female side of me that he's inherited. I'm grateful for that.

Carolyn Marie

Guest rachael1

This proves how successful you and your partner were in raising your son to become the person he is today. Well done you! :) You have a wonderful family who will be there for you as you move forward on your journey to become who you were meant to be. This is the best news I have heard in the longest time and I am so happy for you.

Love

Rach

Reading this made me feel a lot better :) I'm so happy for you Carolyn! You raised him well and that shows how good of a parent you are. Maybe he can call you mom soon :3

Guest Elizabeth K

I haven't been on today so I heard the news from Dee Jay and had to call you directly - so you know how I feel already. Carolyn, I knew you were struggling so hard to try to find just the right time to tell him about your struggles for your entite life, and how you have now finally found yourself. People here on Laura's may or may not know that I met you, your wife and your son when you were visiting New Orleans. I was pleasantly surprised at how wonderful your son was and how mature - so I suppose I never felt there was any doubt in how this would all turn out. But as we all know, we cannot be sure of the outcome of explaining our condition to someone until after it has been done. GRAND GRAND GRAND!

Any your wife is such a wonder! You are such a strong family unit and now - even stronger!

Go Carolyn Go! Know we love you and are watching you emerging from the shadows into the bright new world of what you really are!

My love to you, your wife, and that remarkable person that is your son!

Lizzy

• Admin

My love to you, your wife, and that remarkable person that is your son!

Lizzy

Oh, my, Elizabeth, I thought I was done crying for one day, but your post brought tears to my eyes once again. This has been a very emotional day for me, and I'm glad I have all of you to share it with.

I love you, Lizzy, and all my friends here. Thank you.

Carolyn Marie

Guest chngnwnd

Carolyn,

I am so happy for you. I know how wonderful it is to be out to your children. I am sure you will become close with your son - I am closer with my kids since they started getting the unfiltered me. Our house has been filled with a lot of joy and laughter since I came out to them - I hope you experience the same (of course, a lot of the laughter is at me since the unfiltered me talks nonstop about everything and doesn't edit what she says nearly as well as she used to).

hugs

Bobbie

Guest ~Brenda~

Carolyn honey,

That is so wonderful!!! This is a major step for both you and your son. Don't be surprised if you have many more lengthy conversations with him about being transgendered. My experience has been that coming out usually means revisiting many of the same questions over and over again as people work to truely understand.

You did a wonderful job raising your son. Both you and your wife should be congratulated.

I am very happy for you :)

Love

Brenda

Guest BeckyTG

Dearest, Sweet Caroline Marie,

Thank heavens it went well. I am so very happy for you.

Few things in our lives are more wonderful than being accepted as you truly are by your loved ones.

It is pure joy to know that the hiding is finally over. It is so empowering to know that you'll never worry about "getting caught" again.

I join others in saying that this shows what a wonderful parent you are.

Congratulations, dear Lady. Welcome out into the sunshine.

Hugs,

Becky

Carolyn,

Like Lizzy I was barley on the site yesterday so I heard the news from Dee Jay (a wonderful way to spread information - she talks to everyone all of the time) and we talked last night.

As I told you then, I cannot wait to meet Jay, he seems to have the same loving and accepting attitude as his wonderful parents.

I had long thought that he would accept you completely but I never make bets on how others will react - too many variables.

So now we can talk to you even when he is home!

Congratulations, Sweetheart - now you can sit down, take a deep breath and relax.

All of my love to you and your loving family,

Sally

Congrats Carolyn! The courage it took to come out to your child is admirable and I am happy and relieved knowing that it couldn't have gone any better. Isn't nice that you don't have that anxiety always in the back of your head because you were keeping an important secret?

Love Jenny

Guest Georgie M

Well done, Carolyn. I am so glad that you came out to your son, you are such a wonderful woman and you deserve to be respected for who you are. May your relationship with him flourish!

Georgie

Guest SusanKG

I had this talk a couple of months ago, and hon, I know that it was the hardest thing in this whole process that I have faced. It turns out, it was the hardest thing to face and the easiest thing to do. My result was much as yours - great fear, followed by overwhelming relief with the acceptance and support. You can not underplay the importance of that going forward. However, we should never discount the pain some of our sisters suffer when this talk does not have our good results. Continue forward Carolyn, continue forward.

Susan Kay

Guest mia 1

Wow what an amazing story and on to the next advnture and all that road holds for you.

Your great parenting has worked well for you and honestly,I don't know how I would react

if my dad had told me the story and here I am a cross dresser, with a lot of insight into the

circumstancses and it would still be difficult.

Bravo to you and your family,immediate and extended.

Mia