• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hrt And Sexual Attraction

Guest KirstenR

Guest KirstenR

Hi everyone,

I'm new the forum but have been reading and lurking for some time now. Have so many questions but one that I guess I'm curious about is the effect of HRT on sexual attraction. I know that for most, hormones don't change what we're attracted to but for a smaller group it does change things. For those that had the object of their desire change after starting hormones, was it a shock? Did it happen all at once or slowly over time? Were you ok with your feelings shifting or was it distressing? Is anyone just starting HRT worried about things changing?

You all are so inspiring, reading and learning so much from you all.

Guest Donna Jean

Well, for years I thought that I was a straight male bodied person...

HRT 18 months, I find that my attraction has broadened...

It's opened up whole new possibilities for me...

I won't really say how, exactly....but, trust me on this one....OK?

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest KirstenR

Well, for years I thought that I was a straight male bodied person...

HRT 18 months, I find that my attraction has broadened...

It's opened up whole new possibilities for me...

Donna Jean

That is just so amazing that it really can shift or change, was the broadening a welcome or scary thing? That would be the same question for anyone on here

Guest SusanKG

Frankly I'm not sure I know what my orientation is. I'm born male-bodied and going through transition at 64. Up to perhaps 15 years old I had several experiences with males. I had no experiences with females until age 22, and have been exclusively with females since them (and married the past 27 years). I assumed my attraction was to being male with female; however, I now believe I was projecting as her in the experience, fantasising being the female with a male. Yet I was successful in completion for both of us, at least within the confines of 10 years of Bob Dole disease (ED).

Since HRT 4 months ago, my libido has considerably decreased (goodby nasty T!) but when activity does occur I still enjoy it. Fantasies are completely as female, but activity is either solo or with my wife. I think I am way too in the middle of this to say what direction my orientation may lie, but I do not think HRT has changed it, at least so far. It certainly has not made relations with a female, absent penatration, less enjoyable.

Susan Kay

Guest sarah f

I thought I would always just like women but since taking hormones my thoughts have shifted a little. I still prefer women but I am more open and starting to look at males differently. I actually have a crush on Johnny Depp and before starting I didn't even think about that.

Guest Donna Jean

That is just so amazing that it really can shift or change, was the broadening a welcome or scary thing? That would be the same question for anyone on here

Well, no, not scary at all.....

I was just sorta surprised about it ...

And I never said that it was for male persons...

Donna Jean

Guest KirstenR

I thought I would always just like women but since taking hormones my thoughts have shifted a little. I still prefer women but I am more open and starting to look at males differently. I actually have a crush on Johnny Depp and before starting I didn't even think about that.

I really am fine with what ever happens along those lines as I guess it's like going through puberty all over again. Did the Johnny Depp crush come as a surprise?

Actually it is sort of a slow process, I felt a shift and then I realized that I was interested in nice people - gender is not an issue.

I was always a straight male but now, I have opened up to the idea of a relationship with the right person no matter what gender.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Heather taru

I've been on HRT for 6 months now. I started noticing changes in how I feel about men about 1 month into it. Personally, I don't know if the hormones are directly causing it, or more just helping it. I say this because I've always fantasizes about sex as a woman, but never did allow myself to think about men.

Looking back, and looking at my relationship with my wife, I think that I was attracted to women as a desire to be one, not sexually. Since being honest with myself and being myself without holding back, the attraction to men has grown wildly lol

So, HRT, me being honest with myself, or both. I dunno, but I'm happy and it doesn't scare me

Guest sarah f

I really am fine with what ever happens along those lines as I guess it's like going through puberty all over again. Did the Johnny Depp crush come as a surprise?

Kirsten it did come as a suprise to me because I never thought of men that way before. I think hormones are opening up my feelings more and I can look further than what I am used to.

Most of my life i was not attracted to men or woman, it was only just a couple of months before i started transition in earnest that i found out what it was called, i was asexual, there is even a website for it with people worried about coming out just like we are. My therapist asked me several times over the course of the last 18 months who i was sexually attracted to, i told him a genitic woman, FtM or even another MtF under the right conditions but no genetic males, having been on hormones over two years i do not see this changing, but we will see after i have my srs.

Paula

Guest NotClaire

I was pretty much asexual before starting and all my friends called me gay :P I had a crush on a girl once in high school but she turned out to be a lesbian...sooooo haha

Yeh, but since starting HRT (or more broadly just transition in general) I have become extremely attracted to guys. I get butterflies when cute boys hug me or give me back massages :blush: I'm just about six months in. My gt said it's prolly because I could never see myself in a male-male relationship that I never acknowledged my feelings before. So now that I'm presenting more and more as female and slipping into the more comfortable gender for me I'm starting to let my feelings manifest... In the form of extreme crushing!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh....

Not really distressing at all B) actually makes me feel more normal than when I was attracted to no one.