• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Think I Pass.

Guest Carden

Guest Carden

My new haircut makes me looks pretty masculine, at least in comparison to my last haircut.

Any suggestions to make me look a bit more ... manly? XD

Picture29.jpg

Picture31.jpg

Picture54-1.jpg

And I might as well ask: Do I pass?

Guest NatashaJade

To be fair, dear, with your bone structure, you need to refrain from shaping your eyebrows (if you do..). You look punk for sure and could maybe pass. But you might get second looks at least.

luv

Gin

Guest Carden

To be fair, dear, with your bone structure, you need to refrain from shaping your eyebrows (if you do..). You look punk for sure and could maybe pass. But you might get second looks at least.

luv

Gin

Arg. The eyebrows. XD The thing is, I haven't touched my eyebrows for about four months. They refuse to grow back.

Hopefully hormone will help with that ... once I get them ... :P

Thanks for the suggestion though. ^.^

Hey Carden,

I think you do pass, as a young punk *lol*

No seriously, you look good. In fact you look like a young guy that I would worry would kick my butt, if I said you looked like a girl. :)

You will do fine hon Honest. you will

(((((((hugs))))))

your sis

Ree

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Arg. The eyebrows. XD The thing is, I haven't touched my eyebrows for about four months. They refuse to grow back.

Did you tweeze them regularly when you were younger? Could be why they haven't grown back..they just gave up trying to grow back. (happened to a friend of mine when she was a teenager. now her brows are permanently thin)

Guest chngnwnd

Your photos are like deja vu for me....except your bangs don't reach your shoulders...

Also your t-shirt is neater, cleaner, and more polite than what I might have chosen at that age...

The only other differences was that I sneered constantly and wore eyeliner across the bottom of my eyes (oh - and I was desperate to hide the fact that I was mtf).

No one guessed my secret, and if they did, I was far too confrontational and stand offish for them to mention it - you will be fine...

hugs

Bobbie

Guest BeckyTG

Dude,

You look good to me. I can't tell if you're wearing any eyeliner at all, but for me, any makeup was always a no-no for a man.

I'll agree that your overall physical projection is thin, but lots of guys aren't large all over, either.

Keep your head up, put a little swagger in your walk and do your best to be direct and assertive at all times. Forget the patience at your age. Young men are generally hyper and impatient, sneer at little kids and knock old ladies out of the way.... :D

Remember, guys have about one tenth of the emotional capacity of women. They are unable to express compassion (and mean it) if the situation doesn't DIRECTLY affect them. Guys never reveal their feelings to each other, they're not supposed to have them...

The way you look right now is good enough to pass anywhere, any time, if you have the right body language and mannerisms. Otherwise, you might get pegged as a gay guy, but I'd never consider you a girl if I encountered you on the street.

Becky

I'd never consider you a girl if I encountered you on the street.

This. I wouldn't advise you to go so far as to dramatically alter your behavior, though. Mannerisms, sure. Knocking down elderly women when you're more the type to open doors for them--not so much. (But I kinda got a kick out of that mental image. Oops.) =D

It's makeup, yeah, but I know two people who swear by their eyebrow pencils, and I didn't know they used them until I caught them eyebrow-pencil-less one morning. If you use it sparsely enough, it might be able to help without making you look like you're wearing makeup. And there are sweat- and water-proof pencils out there.

All that said, I don't think it's totally necessary. Yeah, the eyebrows give you an androgynous touch, but most of the goth and punk guys I know have a slightly androgynous look anyway. I'd peg you as a guy with a taste for andro fashion and not think twice about it. Maybe not exactly what you're hoping for, but I definitely don't see a girl in those pictures.

Also, I'm all over your haircut.

Guest Sam_P

Knocking down elderly women when you're more the type to open doors for them--not so much. (But I kinda got a kick out of that mental image. Oops.) =D

Rofl. :P Bad Sam, not funny! *smacks self*

Guest Carden

Had the brows waxed/tweezed/murdered from the age of twelve to just a few months ago. :P I shall look around for eyebrow pencils, never thought of that. Thanks.

Hahaha, I am a gentlemen for the ladies. Of course. My mother raised me mostly right.

But yes, I am hyper and impatient, at least I got that down. ^.^

I don't mind having an Andro feel, since my personality falls into Andro mode most of the time anyways.

Also, not a fan of make up. I just have really dark eyelashes, people think I am wearing mascara and crap when I'm not. :P

Thanks for the feed back guys and gals. :)

Guest Cowboy

bro ur hair is wicked. cool.gif

and i think u pass.

do gotta agree about the eyebrows tho.

but if i saw u on the street, i wouldnt think twice about u being male or female.

lol and u can always think bout it this way:

the hair makes for a good distraction XD tongue.gif

Rofl. :P Bad Sam, not funny! *smacks self*

=D

Had the brows waxed/tweezed/murdered from the age of twelve to just a few months ago. :P I shall look around for eyebrow pencils, never thought of that. Thanks.

I did the same thing, kind of; tweezed the inner portion of my eyebrows to death for five years or so. They grew back completely after about six months, but all the hair there grew back vertically instead of horizontally. It's a little weird, but not too bad. My brother's eyebrows grow the same way, so it's like mine became more masculine as they came back. Maybe yours will, too.

Also, not a fan of make up. I just have really dark eyelashes, people think I am wearing mascara and crap when I'm not. :P

Most of the guys I know have much darker eyelashes than women, so that's always struck me as a guy thing.

Guest Hildagard

Dude, you're hot. End of story.

You're the kind of rebellious guy I might turn Bi for.

-shrug-

If you ask nicely, I might even dump my girlfriend for you (Not likely).

Teehee!

Love, Hilda.

Guest Carden

bro ur hair is wicked. cool.gif

and i think u pass.

do gotta agree about the eyebrows tho.

but if i saw u on the street, i wouldnt think twice about u being male or female.

lol and u can always think bout it this way:

the hair makes for a good distraction XD tongue.gif

Hahaha. At least the hair comes in handy, right? XD Thanks dude.

=D

I did the same thing, kind of; tweezed the inner portion of my eyebrows to death for five years or so. They grew back completely after about six months, but all the hair there grew back vertically instead of horizontally. It's a little weird, but not too bad. My brother's eyebrows grow the same way, so it's like mine became more masculine as they came back. Maybe yours will, too.

Most of the guys I know have much darker eyelashes than women, so that's always struck me as a guy thing.

Sweet. Guy-lashes! Makes me feel better. :)

Dude, you're hot. End of story.

You're the kind of rebellious guy I might turn Bi for.

-shrug-

If you ask nicely, I might even dump my girlfriend for you (Not likely).

Teehee!

Love, Hilda.

Very flattering, darlin'. Don't tempt me. ^.^ Jamieftm is making me behave this week, so I shall keep my rebellious guy thoughts to myself.

I think you pass pretty well. Depends a lot on things we can't tell from the picture, like how you walk, etc. But from what we can tell, I think things are pretty good.

If you're going to wear that shirt, I'd unbutton some of the buttons if you can. Most people don't button the buttons on a polo, or just button the bottom one.

I'd have mentioned the eyebrows, but I think that's been sufficiently mentioned already.

Guest NotClaire

My friends make fun of me because I'm awful/horrible/bad at the "you look like" game... but IN MY OPINION you look like Kevin Durand (Keamy from LOST) B)

Yes, you pass!! :D

As for tips... perhaps a white undershirt? That's masculine I think...? also tans can sometimes be more masculine. Dunno tho...? You pass super well right now though, so no worries ;)

• Forum Moderator

Remember, guys have about one tenth of the emotional capacity of women. They are unable to express compassion (and mean it) if the situation doesn't DIRECTLY affect them. Guys never reveal their feelings to each other, they're not supposed to have them...

Becky

Ah Becky-you just haven't met the right men!

I wonder if MtFs have spent their lives unconsciously avoiding the sensitive, secure, caring and articulate men. So often the opinions I hear are about selfish, insecure acting out prov how "mahco" they are jerk types.

There are men who rush into buring buildings to save others, men who pull strangers from icy waters at the cost of their own lives, men who read stories to their cildren and remember flowers for wives they stay faithful to. Men who write great songs and books-full of feeling. Men who unashamedly cry. (When my mother remarried they had to hold up the service because the macho groom was sobbing tears of joy)

Being a man is something in your heart and maybe that is the best way to pass-just be the man you are. We really already have enough stereotypical jerks!

I am all man -and I am not afraid to care.

LOVE

JJ

Guest Cowboy

Ah Becky-you just haven't met the right men!

I wonder if MtFs have spent their lives unconsciously avoiding the sensitive, secure, caring and articulate men. So often the opinions I hear are about selfish, insecure acting out prov how "mahco" they are jerk types.

There are men who rush into buring buildings to save others, men who pull strangers from icy waters at the cost of their own lives, men who read stories to their cildren and remember flowers for wives they stay faithful to. Men who write great songs and books-full of feeling. Men who unashamedly cry. (When my mother remarried they had to hold up the service because the macho groom was sobbing tears of joy)

Being a man is something in your heart and maybe that is the best way to pass-just be the man you are. We really already have enough stereotypical jerks!

I am all man -and I am not afraid to care.

LOVE

JJ

All i can say: Agreed.

Guest ChloëC

Carden, from your pictures, I think you pass quite well.

Continuing up on one of NotClaire's suggestions, I don't think this has been covered very well. And this can be for any ftm.

Get a 'farmer's tan'. That is, have tan lines around your shirt collar (v-neck or crew), also on your arms around your shirt sleeve end. (and legs too if you wear shorts - probably at your knees because guys would more likely wear baggy ones.)

I can't think of any females I know that would be caught dead with tan lines like that. My spouse keeps insisting I take off my shirt outside so I can get a tan all over as she hates my tan lines. Probably not a bad idea, but biting bugs love me, so the shirt stays on.

Hugs,

Chloë

• 5 months later...