• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Coming Out To My Md

Guest Opal

I have decided not to wait any longer. Several months back, I was put on Hydrochlorothiazide and Gemfibrozil by my MD for high blood pressure, and for the about of fat in my blood. Since that time, I have dropped to a much healthier weight, plus my BP has really improved.

What is motivating me now, is I got the go-ahead from my Therapist for HRT! Yea!!!

SOOOO, if I am good to go on dropping these two prescriptions, then I do not see any reason to delay finding an MD who will prescribe the two or three HRT prescriptions.

The only way I will know if my MD would be willing to do it is to explain to her why I would wish HRT. Perhaps she will be dead-set against it and no longer wish to have me as her patient (worst case). Or, perhaps she has prescribed HRT before and was wondering what was taking me so long to get on board (best case).

Anyway, I plan on telling her, even if it is not time to discontinue the high BP meds just yet.

Hugs!

Opal

Hi Opal,

Thats great on getting into better shape. It really does help when you have a goal. I was borderline diabetic... mostly probably from drinking sweet tea and soda and lots of sugar stuff....I also have probably done some damage to the pancrius back during my drug haydays.... and that is what is keeping it high as well.

Glad you got the ok to start HRT. You will be on your way soon.

Cris

Guest KimberlyF

The spiro is a combo HRT drug and BP drug so thats a twofer anyway.

As for your best/worst case I'd put them more realistically that she's unsure of HRT and would rather you go to a different doc for HRT treatment because she is uncomfortable for that. She may have another TS patient (best case) but the odds are not. But she might still try to take this on. She could prescribe some of the same drugs to women for acne and they have the same concerns with potassium and need the blood work monitored.

Good luck with everything. I know this doctor game all too well lately.

Kim

Hi Opal,

I am far from the poster child for healthy weight but my blood pressure was never high enough for any medications just reduce salt, lose weight, etc.

Since starting on spiro my blood pressure is perfect - I am eating better but I have not lost enough weight yet to account for more than a couple of points down and it is almost 9.

I hope things go well for you.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest sarah f

Opal I decided to go to a different doctor than the one I was going to. I didn't want to explain myself to my doctor and didn't really like him anyway. If you decide to stick with yours because you like them, than I would ask her if she has any experience with HRT. You don't want to be the test subject for her to start with even if she is willing to prescribe them to you. I just don't want to see you get hurt.

Good Luck and I hope your Doc is accepting of you and has experience with HRT.

Guest Donna Jean

Opal.....

Honey, people seem to associate high BP with being heavy and overweight...

I'm 5' 7" and 149 lbs anbd I have high BP....

I took a med for it that was i diruetic and then I'm on Spiro...

I was wizzing my brains out...

My doc took me off of one...*whew*

So, best of luck, Sweetheart...remember, whatever doc one has...we must tell them every med we're on so that they don't cross-medicate us...

LOVE

Donna Jean

Oh, thank all of you for your kind replies! My MD did put me on Zyrtec a few years back for mild depression with the understanding that I would return to Counseling. I ultimately did, but it was delayed with work and my father's health issues.

My father was on Spiro. Not to Transistion, God no, that would be the absolute last thing he would ever want to do. He hated it so much that he stopped taking them, and didn't tell his physician he had stopped. Well, his legs and ankles got badly swollen, and ultimately we got him to take them for awhile, but he hated every single Spiro pill he took, and after changing Doctors, they now have him off of Spiro, and on a thiazide diuretic instead that he does not mind as much.

I understand that there is a physician in the area that has been prescribing HRT for over a year, but I do not know who that is, but I can probably find out, if needed.

The substitute doctor for my primary doctor sounds a lot like Sarah's doctor. He is 'always' available, I believe because very few patients like him. So that is a consideration.

Anyway, Dee Jay, I hope there is still a little of that warm Pepsi left over, "Just in Case".

Big Huggs,

Opal

Guest Donna Jean

Anyway, Dee Jay, I hope there is still a little of that warm Pepsi left over, "Just in Case".

Big Huggs,

Opal

I still have some, Opal...I didn't let anyone put a cigarette out in it or anything!

LOL

Donna Jean

• Forum Moderator

Hi Opal

Seems like most everything has been well said and i don't have HRT or BP issues-but I really wanted to congratulate you on your improved health and wish you good luck on your Dr visit.

Huggs

JJ

Hi Opal

Seems like most everything has been well said and i don't have HRT or BP issues-but I really wanted to congratulate you on your improved health and wish you good luck on your Dr visit.

Huggs

JJ

Hi JJ!

Thank you so much for your support! It really means a lot to me! It is just such a shame that the services and treatments are not universally available to anyone who needs them.

I feel so fortunate that there were resources I never could have imagined available and willing to help and not be judgmental.

Big Hugs!

Opal

Well, just as an update:

I went and saw my physician this afternoon. She was quite impressed with my progress in weight reduction, however, my BP was still a bit high so I may have to stay on the two prescriptions I mentioned earlier. I am scheduled for a lab in the morning, so will know more next week.

She was a bit taken aback at my 'coming out', plus prior to that I think she noticed my shoulder bag. After explaining things to her, she told me that as far as she was concerned, nothing had changed between us, and she wanted to be supportive.

However, she did not feel comfortable or qualified in prescribing any HRT-type medications to me, and I would need to find another doctor for that. So, guess I will do the lab and see where I stand there, but have started a search for someone who can help me with this part. So all in all, I would say it went pretty well.

Huggs,

Opal

Guest Donna Jean

Well, Opal....so sorry the 'ole BP is still a bit high...I'm sure that you'll get that down...

And I had the same experience...I came out to my doctor that I had for 6 years and asked him to be my HRT doctor, too...

Said that he wasn't comfortable with that.....so I looked elsewhere...

Heqq, better to have a doc that is good with it then hit or miss....right?

You did good, Hon!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest KimberlyF

As for your best/worst case I'd put them more realistically that she's unsure of HRT and would rather you go to a different doc for HRT treatment because she is uncomfortable for that.

Kim

However, she did not feel comfortable or qualified in prescribing any HRT-type medications to me, and I would need to find another doctor for that. So, guess I will do the lab and see where I stand there, but have started a search for someone who can help me with this part. So all in all, I would say it went pretty well.

Huggs,

Opal

Oh, oh oh! What do I win??? :D

Overall this is good news I think if you like your doc.

Kim

Oh, oh oh! What do I win??? :D

Overall this is good news I think if you like your doc.

Kim

Hi Kim! Well, lets see..... How about free posting on Laura's to your heart's content???

Yes, I do like my primary physician very much. Have been going to her for about ten years now. Guess she does not have many patients coming in a telling her that they are Trans. Imagine she will research it more as she has time.

Huggs,

Opal

Opal I decided to go to a different doctor than the one I was going to. I didn't want to explain myself to my doctor and didn't really like him anyway. If you decide to stick with yours because you like them, than I would ask her if she has any experience with HRT. You don't want to be the test subject for her to start with even if she is willing to prescribe them to you. I just don't want to see you get hurt.

Good Luck and I hope your Doc is accepting of you and has experience with HRT.

Sarah, you have given me something important to really consider in regards to seeking HRT in this area!

If you do not mind, I would like to PM with you sometime about this...

Big Huggs,

Opal