• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Marci Bowers Struggle In Trinidad

JenniferB

• Admin

Thanks for posting this, Jennifer. It appears that its a legitimate business dispute. I didn't get any sense that the hospital doesn't want her because of her SRS clients. Like any other executive, doctors come and go from corporations all the time. I think San Francisco will be a good fit. Makes it more convenient for me, at least, should I ever need her services. :)

Carolyn Marie

Guest Donna Jean

Yeah....

I see it as a strictly business issue...

Everyone seems to be just fine with everything else...

I have to say that I totally misunderstood the situation out there...

I assumed that she had her own building and worked there...

Donna Jean

I would sure hate to see Dr. Marci leave, but can certainly understand her reasoning for doing so. If she does leave, I hope she considers training other surgeons in her techniques.

The hospital at Trinidad may just want to focus on being a MASH type operation, and rely mostly on Medicaid and Medicare funding.

Thank you for sharing this with us, Jennifer. Hope it works out for the best.

Just in case anyone did not already know it, here is her website: http://www.marcibowers.com

Huggs,

Opal

Guest Alice4016

Can I be honest? Trinidad was a great place to recover from my surgery; but Dr. Bowers was not the best choice. Sorry if this offends anyone, but people should at least hear you know? Her bedside manner is not the best, and to be honest she only saw me twice once before my surgery, and afterward for literally two min check in; her nurses pretty much helped me through recovery and everything else (and they are great!). Also this seemed to be a shared experience from the other girls in the hospital at the time of our surgery. Her work is amazing, please do not get me wrong, but to be honest I would recommend keeping your options open and looking at some other doctors. I have heard from my hormone doctor (who I fly out to in Cali) that she will be moving to that area, and it makes sense if you think about it; more opportunities; but I have also heard when I was in the hospital that she was being officially reprimanded for neglecting her patients to go around and talk at colleges etc vrs. focusing on her current patients and all. I love her for the work she is doing, but I would not honestly recommend her to anyone for surgery :(. (sorry if this is off topic, but felt like throwing it in there :P)

Trinidad was a great place to recover from my surgery; but Dr. Bowers was not the best choice.

It goes to show you that one's television fame doesn't necessarily equate to an honestly earned reputation.

Before her television show she was known as the person who too over for Biber but really didn't have a reputation. Shortly after the television show featuring her aired I started hearing things such as "She is the best" and "She was the one who developed the single step surgery" as well as other claims I knew weren't accurate. Apparently this television fame rocketed the perceptions of her in ways that the word of mouth sort of reputation that other surgeons earned the hard way coudl never do.

I was bothered by the things being attributed to her (such as developing the single stage procedure) when I knew she had taken from other surgeons and she was more than 10 years too late to be the first. I did not however know if it was others attributing this to her, or if it was her making these cames. I met Marci in person before she started her surgical practice and didnt hear her make these claims. She seemed pretty down to earth in fact. But then I saw her on television and saw a different person. It really bothered me.

I am not saying she is a bad doctor. I just feel that her fame has, in the minds of many in the community, substituted for a reputation.

Guest Alice4016

I am not saying she is a bad doctor. I just feel that her fame has, in the minds of many in the community, substituted for a reputation.

yes! Exactly; I chose her based on results from friends to be honest; but afterward making my deposit I saw a discovery health (I think that's the channel) special on her and was, honestly, even more excited that I had made a good choice. I do have to admit her work is great, my gyno didn't even know until I told her that I was there for a post op check (lol...um..kind forgot to mention it until in the stirrups :P haha). But anyway, her work "works" but her personality and ego is a little bigger than needed and goes to make a client uncomfortable :( You can get work just as good, or at least very very comparable, from someone who may be able to help you feel more confident in their hands. She's good, but in no way the "master" of SRS.

A small correction to my prior post, I met Marci before her taking over for Biber doing SRS, not her opening her surgical practice. I believe she had already been a surgeon and had even been doing some SRS surgeries with/for Biber. It was just the point before she was doing SRS as part of her own practice.

Yes it was on Discovery Health.

Acording to another Doctor I know, he says "all surgeon have big egos".

Another item that bothered me about Marci.

I know of someone who had some problems with the results. Needed to go back to Marci. This person then talked about how nice Marci was for not charging her for the revision like she normally would have charged. This person went on to explain that the reason was because her insurance had covered the original procedure and had paid something signifificantly more more than was typical for the surgery thus Marci still made out good.

What bothered me was that there had been any question at all about payment. Other SRS surgeons I know stand by their SRS work and will do a revision at no charge if there ends up being a problem relating to the original surgery. I know someone who went to Montreal and had a problem. Her surgeon said to schedule an appointment with his offce and that there would be no charge.

It is entirely possible that what this person had told me about Marci was inaccurate. After all she wasn't charged which is positive regardless of what reason may have been given. Perhaps that is more the norm than the exception. It is however another one of those things I found troubling to hear.

Someone contemplating surgery, whoever their surgeon is, might be well served to ask the "what if" question about costs that may be associated with a revision should there be complications or a cosmetic issue afterwards.

I have talked to Marci before and to the best of my knowledge she does not charge for revisions if there was a problem with the surgery - damage from not following instructions after the surgery could be subject to a charge but those cases are rare.

Sometimes fame comes after the reputation is built and it is based on the person's own sense of pride to continue at that level - it is true in business as well, how many national companies are hone because they sat around reading about their past successes and failed to change with the times - Montgomery Wards was a major retailer for over a hundred years but failed to alter their way of doing business as times changed and they were already hone by the time the Internet changed shopping again.

You can be famous and good but surgeons are as a rule the most ego driven of doctors, they are the ones most often referred to by nurses as having God complexes.

Surgery is risky, do your research and talk to people who have used the surgeon, my first trans friend had been to Marci and would not even think of going to anyone else if she were shopping for that service today - she moved to a new city and her OB/GYN did not know until she told her and that was after the examination.

I am still planning on going to Dr. Bowers someday after I have the money - if she has moved to California I'll just go visit Carolyn and save the hotel bills for the recovery time. :)

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Donna Jean

I am still planning on going to Dr. Bowers someday after I have the money - if she has moved to California I'll just go visit Carolyn and save the hotel bills for the recovery time. :) Love ya,

Sally

Is Carolyn aware of this?

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K

Dr. Bowers performed the surgery on my good friend and former college roommate Veronica - four years ago. Vee had gone with another T-Girl to help out and while there Dr. Bowers accomidated her by fitting her in for a post op interview and exam. Although Dr. Bower's schedule was full, when an opportunity came as a cancellization, Dr. Bowers called Vee and the SRS was performed. So naturally Veronica highly recommends Dr, Bowers because Vee was 100 percent satisfied with the treatment and the results. Of course, Dr. Bowers was not as high profile as she is now.

BUT

Consider this - yes - she is out giving talks - but isn't that what our community needs? She is articulate and knows her trade. She, being transgender herself, is a perfect example of how we transpeople are just that, capable of being productive members of society, and that we are most certainly not freaks.

So there is a give and take here. We have to accept that notoriety does cause problems. And surgeons are known by other's in the medical profession to have HUGE egos. But I rarely hear of complaints about her techniques, and personally, if I use her services, her being in California will force me to fly in - where I can drive to Trinidad.

And I hear Carolyn Marie is charging $200 a night now, but it includes a Continental Breakfast. Carolyn Marie needs to save up for HER SRS, you know.

Elizabeth Anne

Guest Alice4016

Consider this - yes - she is out giving talks - but isn't that what our community needs? She is articulate and knows her trade. She, being transgender herself, is a perfect example of how we transpeople are just that, capable of being productive members of society, and that we are most certainly not freaks.

Elizabeth Anne

To be honest, no; not from a surgeon. From a committed public speaker, or from a surgeon who does not have current patients. When you are there for surgery you need your doctor around to be sure everything is healing up properly. This isn't a wisdom tooth removal, this is MAJOR surgery. I remember three occasions when nurses from the office had to call dr. bowers because of a complication (once with myself, minor lol...felt bad for bothering her; and twice for a friend of mine who was having serious dilation problems). Because she was out, my friend had to wait two days; without dilating, for dr. bowers to return and make sure my friend was okay. Thankfully she was and the total three days (the day waiting to get into the office + the two days waiting) did not result in any problems.

My personal opinion (stressing this as it carries no merit and should be, honestly, disregarded lol) is that if you are a surgeon with 5 actively recovering patients (at the time and meaning physically in the hospital, not in an aftercare house or a hotel room) you should stick around till they are cleared to return home/after care house. If you want to be a speaker, great, but maybe clear your schedule first; give up that $30,000Xhow ever many patients, and consider that charity. Don't take our money and give us substandard service. Thank God her nurses were absolutely Amazing, because without them esp. Phyllis ( :D ) recovering could have been disastrous. This is also not an isolated incident around my time of surgery; plenty of the nurses, and the after care house Carrol (Marci and Carrol are not together by the way anymore :( sadly :( because Carrol is amazing) mentioned this has been an ongoing problem; and again completely hearsay (not too sure of validity but have heard from another doctor and my HRT doctor) that the hospital was officially reprimanding her for this (again check the sources, as I can not be 100% on this...lol).

So yes, the fact she is doing talks etc is great, and much needed; but the way in which she is doing this is totally unprofessional and putting her patients at risk which (again only my opinion) is not the best course of action. There are plenty of other speakers, is it worth putting the health of your sisters on the line so a few colleges can have a talk? Trade the health of one for the benefit of some (who may not even care/be receptive to her information?). I've never been a fan of sacrifice; I take the bugs outside and release them from my home if I catch them lol; so not about to start rolling the dice with the recovery and well being of another human being.

(This is also kinda backbiting so I think this will be my last post regarding this, I really don't like talking about people behind their backs, but to be honest the choices of doctors is huge so keep you eyes open and consider all options. Would I recommend Marci b/c of her results and work...yes, she's great...but at least know what you are getting into and the added recovery risks with an already risky surgery.)

Maybe this makes sense?

Guest Donna Jean

Well, with that bit of background I can see your point...

It's good to be able to see all sides of a situation....

Thanks for that, Alice!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K

To be honest, no; not from a surgeon. From a committed public speaker, or from a surgeon who does not have current patients. When you are there for surgery you need your doctor around to be sure everything is healing up properly. This isn't a wisdom tooth removal, this is MAJOR surgery. I remember three occasions when nurses from the office had to call dr. bowers because of a complication (once with myself, minor lol...felt bad for bothering her; and twice for a friend of mine who was having serious dilation problems). Because she was out, my friend had to wait two days; without dilating, for dr. bowers to return and make sure my friend was okay. Thankfully she was and the total three days (the day waiting to get into the office + the two days waiting) did not result in any problems.

My personal opinion (stressing this as it carries no merit and should be, honestly, disregarded lol) is that if you are a surgeon with 5 actively recovering patients (at the time and meaning physically in the hospital, not in an aftercare house or a hotel room) you should stick around till they are cleared to return home/after care house. If you want to be a speaker, great, but maybe clear your schedule first; give up that $30,000Xhow ever many patients, and consider that charity. Don't take our money and give us substandard service. Thank God her nurses were absolutely Amazing, because without them esp. Phyllis ( :D ) recovering could have been disastrous. This is also not an isolated incident around my time of surgery; plenty of the nurses, and the after care house Carrol (Marci and Carrol are not together by the way anymore :( sadly :( because Carrol is amazing) mentioned this has been an ongoing problem; and again completely hearsay (not too sure of validity but have heard from another doctor and my HRT doctor) that the hospital was officially reprimanding her for this (again check the sources, as I can not be 100% on this...lol).

So yes, the fact she is doing talks etc is great, and much needed; but the way in which she is doing this is totally unprofessional and putting her patients at risk which (again only my opinion) is not the best course of action. There are plenty of other speakers, is it worth putting the health of your sisters on the line so a few colleges can have a talk? Trade the health of one for the benefit of some (who may not even care/be receptive to her information?). I've never been a fan of sacrifice; I take the bugs outside and release them from my home if I catch them lol; so not about to start rolling the dice with the recovery and well being of another human being.

(This is also kinda backbiting so I think this will be my last post regarding this, I really don't like talking about people behind their backs, but to be honest the choices of doctors is huge so keep you eyes open and consider all options. Would I recommend Marci b/c of her results and work...yes, she's great...but at least know what you are getting into and the added recovery risks with an already risky surgery.)

Maybe this makes sense?

Yes - your point is well taken. Yes, doctors need to be doctors. What you said DOES make sense and I think you were good in explaining Dr. Bowers DOES seem to be rather an activist. People need to know that when selecting whom they will go to.

We trans are so rare, or so it seems at first. We usually disappear after transitioning (I will probably never be an activist) so it is good to have someone who is in the public eye in a manner that is positive. I would hope Dr. Bowers could maintain a good balance - and to tell the truth - I wish there were a hundred more qualified SRS surgeons available in the world. I have a feeling that the world will soon see how many of us there really are - and how great is our need.

My deceased wife was a physician. Her patients always took the first priority - but the demand was 24/7 and 365 days a year. There is no vacation for physicians - they learn to deligate. Hopefully Dr. Bowers has qualified understudies and staff. BUT I don't know anything about her practice.

It seemed in the article, the hospital staff was using her 'lack of follow-through' as an excuse for criticism. Dr. Bowers countered that the hospital overcharges. I suspect the real reasons for the 'feud' are some things we may never know.

No back-biting intended here. I apologize if it seemed that way.

Lizzy

Guest Alice4016

Yes - your point is well taken. Yes, doctors need to be doctors. What you said DOES make sense and I think you were good in explaining Dr. Bowers DOES seem to be rather an activist. People need to know that when selecting whom they will go to.

We trans are so rare, or so it seems at first. We usually disappear after transitioning (I will probably never be an activist) so it is good to have someone who is in the public eye in a manner that is positive. I would hope Dr. Bowers could maintain a good balance - and to tell the truth - I wish there were a hundred more qualified SRS surgeons available in the world. I have a feeling that the world will soon see how many of us there really are - and how great is our need.

My deceased wife was a physician. Her patients always took the first priority - but the demand was 24/7 and 365 days a year. There is no vacation for physicians - they learn to deligate. Hopefully Dr. Bowers has qualified understudies and staff. BUT I don't know anything about her practice.

It seemed in the article, the hospital staff was using her 'lack of follow-through' as an excuse for criticism. Dr. Bowers countered that the hospital overcharges. I suspect the real reasons for the 'feud' are some things we may never know.

No back-biting intended here. I apologize if it seemed that way.

Lizzy

no no with back-biting I was referring to me lol :P I try to stay away esp. in Ramadan :P Sorry if that came off wrong

I totally agree and understand what you are saying, activism is needed; and like you said many of us disappear after transition so I understand what you were saying regarding our absolute need for good speakers; it's a tricky situation...like you said balance is needed inshaAllah it can be reached some day.

Guest Melanie Dawn

I am still planning on going to Dr. Bowers someday after I have the money - if she has moved to California I'll just go visit Carolyn and save the hotel bills for the recovery time. :)

Love ya,

Sally

ooh i am only 2 hours from SF..maybe i could drive in and visit.

Below is a testemonial from a friend of mine here in Sac... This alone solidified my choice for surgeon.

"My experience in Trinidad was a dream come true that I will never forget. From the moment I met Dr. Bowers at a conference, I knew she was my surgeon. Her compassion alone won me over, while her work spoke for itself. During my stay, her staff, as well as the hospital staff, was wonderful, and treated me like family at all times. Dr. Bowers did a fabulous job on my GRS, and said I was "a pleasure to work on." I awoke from the surgery knowing all was well, and immediately feeling calm and complete, for the first time in my life. I'm amazed at how much this has changed my life. I knew this was going to be huge, but I had no idea how much of an impact it would have on me. I can never thank Dr. Bowers enough for giving me my life back. I'm finally looking forward to the future. Thank you!!"

Rebecca (Patient: April 2009)

Melanie Dawn

Guest nonamesleft

I for one am very glad to see her move to CA, we definitely need the tax revenue, ;) I did go see her for a minor operation last year. I took the train to Trinidad (24 hours from LA), and the remoteness of Trinidad appealed to me since I would not be distracted while I recovered. Plus I like the idea of a train ride, which was nice and relaxing. The town was indeed boring, but it did have a certain amount of character. She was indeed a bit cold, and not very present, before or after the surgery. I had already decided to go to Thailand for SRS, but the experience definitely reinforced my decision. Despite the fact that she is a trans woman, she is still very much an American Doctor, and that means the service will be lacking. If I had the same procedure in Thailand, it would have cost 1/2 the price, and I would have spent 2 nights in the hospital. In Trinidad, I was wheeled out the door of the hospital less than an hour after gaining consciousness, with very little aftercare or support. I would not say anything bad about her skills, I did have one stitch that was sticking out too far and needed to be cut afterwards by my trans doctor after I got home, but that was a minor thing that could happen to anyone. I just believe the service, aftercare, and attention you get in Thailand is sooo much better than in North America. Hospital rooms and beds are such a ridiculously overpriced 'service' here, that all they want to do is get you out ASAP. I do wish her the best of luck in her new home. I know she has been a savior for many girls over the years, and the fact that she readily accepts insurance (for those lucky enough to have SRS coverage) makes her an invaluable asset for our community. If you have insurance, I think you will not regret your choice in seeing her, but for my money, I'm going to Thailand.

Guest Melanie Dawn

I for one am very glad to see her move to CA, we definitely need the tax revenue, ;) I did go see her for a minor operation last year. I took the train to Trinidad (24 hours from LA), and the remoteness of Trinidad appealed to me since I would not be distracted while I recovered. Plus I like the idea of a train ride, which was nice and relaxing. The town was indeed boring, but it did have a certain amount of character. She was indeed a bit cold, and not very present, before or after the surgery. I had already decided to go to Thailand for SRS, but the experience definitely reinforced my decision. Despite the fact that she is a trans woman, she is still very much an American Doctor, and that means the service will be lacking. If I had the same procedure in Thailand, it would have cost 1/2 the price, and I would have spent 2 nights in the hospital. In Trinidad, I was wheeled out the door of the hospital less than an hour after gaining consciousness, with very little aftercare or support. I would not say anything bad about her skills, I did have one stitch that was sticking out too far and needed to be cut afterwards by my trans doctor after I got home, but that was a minor thing that could happen to anyone. I just believe the service, aftercare, and attention you get in Thailand is sooo much better than in North America. Hospital rooms and beds are such a ridiculously overpriced 'service' here, that all they want to do is get you out ASAP. I do wish her the best of luck in her new home. I know she has been a savior for many girls over the years, and the fact that she readily accepts insurance (for those lucky enough to have SRS coverage) makes her an invaluable asset for our community. If you have insurance, I think you will not regret your choice in seeing her, but for my money, I'm going to Thailand.

Sorry to hear yo0ur experience wasn't "great", but I know I will not go half way across the world for my surgery, flying that soon after surgery is not usually recommended. No matter the care..it IS Thailand.

Melanie Dawn

• 1 month later...
Guest Jenni_S

I'm not trying to stir things up, or cause any trouble, but I'd like to echo Nashida's post above. I also had similar experience with Dr. Bowers, in September of 2009. Both myself and my hospital "roomie" arrived at 10:00 AM for our day-before check-up appointment and the going over of the risks and dangers that all surgeries carry. Trouble was, Dr. Bowers wasn't back in town from the conference she was attending yet. We were both asked to come back at 6:30. That, of course, was after when we were told to start drinking the "evil drink" at 3:00. It was, shall we say, an interesting ride back to the office! We saw her for about 25 minutes, decided I would be the early surgery, and headed back to where we were staying.

Dr. Bowers popped in about 20 minutes before surgery time the next morning, checking that I was on track and saying "We're gonna take good care of you." That was the last I saw of her until the following afternoon, when she appeared to replace a stitch I had popped. Following that, I did not see her again. I know she was in the area, because she discharged us. But two days after that, when my roomie and myself went back to her office for our final check before leaving town, I was told that "Irene will be your nurse today." I asked, "Where's the doctor?" and heard, "She had to get to a conference, and left this morning."

I don't have any complaints about her technical skills. The work done was terrific, I think. But I can't say I felt "well-taken-care-of" by her. Her staff, and the staff of nurses at the hospital, were wonderful! Karla, our overnight nurse, was sooo helpful, so much that I sent her a card and flowers once I was back home. However, I left feeling that the both of us were less important than the doctor's personal appearances. While speaking and appearing and being a role model and all that is good, I don't think that should be at the expense of actual patients under your care. And while the care I received in the hospital was fantastic, again, I don't think I should have the feeling that the nurses are overseeing my care. It all felt like we were an inconvenience to her.

Anyway, something to keep in mind. Your experience, and mileage, may vary. After my experience with Dr. Bowers, I wouldn't recommend her, unless I heard that things had changed a great deal.

• 3 months later...
Guest Cynthia Of Creation

IN short dont believe everything you see on tv! bad or good. its all glamed up in whatever way possible to bring in ratings.