• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Came Out To My Doctor

Guest Wendae

Guest Wendae

Yesterday as part of an agreement with my wife I asked my doctor to recommend a psycologist familiar with crossdressers and that it be a woman. For me it was traumatic telling her I was a crossdresser as I've only told 3 people, two of which have passed away. I was so stressed I was getting chest pains. Of course the hangover wasn't helping. I"ve been drinking heavily, can't sleep and have developed the shakes and tremors. I'm hoping that she can help me get my wife to understand what her denial is doing to me. As a up side at least I'll have someone I can talk to.

The whole time I was talking to my doctor I was so afraid I'd break down in tears. A 200 pound, ex-military type in tears. How embarrasing. Crying is not something I do. Anyway I didn't but on the way home in the car tears started flowing. I make an appointment with my shrink soon. By the way I just submitted a story called "I See a Shrink."

Hi Wendae,

Yes, coming out to one's doctor can be very, very traumatic. I was very fortunate that my doctor at least agreed to continue to see me. The really important thing is that now you have a Therapist and an appointment in hand. This is a huge step forward, although you may not see it at this point.

I wish you the very best on this Wendae. Please keep in touch!

Huggs,

Opal

Guest Donna Jean

Wendae.....

Honey, I could see how that could be traumatic for you...

I understand why you'd approach it differently somewhat than some one like me, because I want to be 100% female...

But you need your wife's support to be happy in your dressing....I'm ssure that things will get way better for you now....

Huggs

Donna Jean

• Admin

Wendae, I'm glad you took that step, and I so hope that your therapist is a good one who will really help you deal with this.

It sounds like you need to unload a lot of pent up anxiety, frustration and fear. Please talk to her about your drinking, too,

OK? I care about you, and don't want to see you get hurt.

Take care of yourself hon. Let me know if I can help in any way.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

Wendae

As difficult and traumatic as that confession to your Dr was for you the truth is he has seen and heard so many things that it was not anything unusual to him-And this something that harms no one. Except yourself because of the stress the denial and lack of acceptance are causing you.

The good thing is that you are now well on your way to finding some peace and validation.

In time I hope your wife will understand and be more supportive. Perhaps your therapist will help with improving that situation!

Hugs

JJ

Guest Donna Jean

My first appointment is in 2 days. Wonder if it will be as good as the story? I'm really a mess. Lots of Vodka and tears.

Baby...

YES! on the appointment....

My favorite at one time was vodka....do your best..OK?

Try to back off...it's hard, I know...

You need this appointment...Try to not be hungover for this one..

I care...

LOVE

Donna Jean

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wendae

Tomorrow is my 2nd visit and I'm looking forward to it. Today is Wendae day. Wife went shopping as per agreement and I'm dressed and feeling great.

Guest Donna Jean

Tomorrow is my 2nd visit and I'm looking forward to it. Today is Wendae day. Wife went shopping as per agreement and I'm dressed and feeling great.

Well, feeling better this week? Hope so, Hon....

You are having your "me" time and enjoying yourself...great!

Hope that all goes well at the doc's...

Huggs

Donna Jean

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wendae

Therapist is ok with seeing me as Wendae. I'm really looking forward to my next appointment. Problem is getting wife to go along with me leaving the house all femmed up.

Guest Donna Jean

Therapist is ok with seeing me as Wendae. I'm really looking forward to my next appointment. Problem is getting wife to go along with me leaving the house all femmed up.

Hey, Hon....

Just when is that next appointment?

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Wendae

Sept 9th. Guess I'll have to go stealth. I'm a type A personality and want to present my best. For me make up takes awhile and I don't believe I could do a good job sitting in my car. I certainly don't want to look like a clown or racoon to my therapist or anyone else I encounter. This is a big step for me as my outings have all been in the car not facing the public. Still I want to do this very badly.

Hi Wendae,

My therapist has a small room I can change into on those times that I am unable to prep at home. She fully understands this, and I compromise on the makeup, dang!

Huggs,

Opal

Guest Wendae

Told wife last night and waited for the backlash. Got none! :blink: She's become supportive. That's not saying she's ok with me being dressed around her or going out in public. To top it off she was going to return some clothes she'd ordered and I said,"Would you give that skirt to someone who wanted it?" I now have a new skirt! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow I go to see my therapist as Wendae. It's a half hour drive in noon traffic and I'll have to face the receptionist and those in the waiting room. My wife has elected to remain home and will see me as Wendae for the first time in 30 years. I think this is more stressful then the trip over. I have driven around on long trips as Wendae but never had to interact with others. Should be an interesting day. My main concern is presentation so getting dressed and made up will be a major operation.

Guest Donna Jean

My main concern is presentation so getting dressed and made up will be a major operation.

Well, I'm sure that you'll be sure that everything is just perfect!

You have a good time, Hon!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest ChloëC

Hey, Wendae,

You know we're all pulling for you. And it's great your wife is coming around. Lots of little steps but they do add up to big ones. An interesting day, to be sure, but one filled with lots of positives.

Hugs

Chloë

Soooooo Good! What a wondeful day! Wife was cool, therapist saw the difference in my personality and was just great in her approach. I had her take my photo and I put it in the gallery. More on my Blog tomorrow! :)

Instead of just making an entry on my blog I thought I'd share my most recent visit to my therapist here.

It took me 2 hours to get dressed for my therapist appointment. This does not included all of the shaving that took place starting the night before. My wife retired to another room in the house allowing me the time to prepare without feeling self conscious. 2 years before I had painted some false nails but never got to wear them. Gluing them on was a thrill. They were what I call “drop dead red”.(see gallery) Once I passed my inspection I picked up my purse and showed my wife the results. She had little to say so I headed on out. It was a great feeling of freedom as I drove to my appointment. It was a half hour drive and I hadn’t a care in the world. I arrived 20 min early and had to wait for her to finish lunch. Only one person, another therapist, came in while I waited. The visit went well and she said she could see the difference in me. More calm, relaxed and happy. When I arrived home I poured a drink and sat in the living room with my wife. I told her of my trip and a bit of what the therapist suggested. I was really surprised that she sat there with me while I was in Wendae mode. Once I finished the drink I regretfully had to revert to male mode.