• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The V.a, And Its Treatment Of Trans Veterans

Guest SharleahLynn

Guest SharleahLynn

Now is the time to wager a formal complaint against the Veterans Administration. It is apparent that the Veterans Administration is treating the Transgendered veterans like we do not exist. They are trying to weed us out of their care system. We get 3rd or 4th rate care at best. Our PCPs (Drs.) act as though we are some fatal disease or something of that nature. We are no different than any non Tran’s veteran. Our only difference is that we were born in the wrong body. Many Trans vets stepped up to serve our country before some of the non Trans vets would. We served proudly and did our hitch, just to be treated like this.

Good example: I went to the Emergency Room at the V.A. with severe chest pain and my heart hurting badly. I spent 7 hours there that night, just to hear them say they do not know what’s wrong. The same situation happened the very next night with the same excuse, they referred me to my PCP and nothing got done.

As with any person, we all are born with some form of disorder. Some are born with PTSD, Claustrophobia, and god only knows what else. It has been recently discovered that I have PTSD, I was born with Claustrophobia, and it has reached the point of me not being able to control it anymore. So far, all the V.A. wants to do is pump me full of pills, or throw me into therapy for this. Therapy has been tried a long time ago and failed. My psychiatrist at the V.A. was willing to go to a large room to make me comfortable for our session, but my PCP (Dr) will not. This is not exactly fair for me because his office is not much bigger than a closet, and such close places make me have the fear Issues that go with Claustrophobia. There is an issue regarding seatbelts that requires a letter of exemption that the Dr. CAN write, but refuses to because he claims to have my best interest in mind. He refuses to see the danger that I am placed in by having to be confined by the belts. It is the same with my shrink; she refuses to notice the danger as well. By doing as they are, refusing to provide the proper treatment for things that can stabilize us, even fix some things that are wrong. Another point, the medical staff does not know the difference between a corrective procedure and Sexual Reassignment Surgery.

I was informed that an Orchiectomy would eliminate my anger issues and make me a calmer person, and I need it. The medical personnel claim it is considered to be Sexual Reassignment Surgery and not within their realm of treatment.

If this is the case, then a Vasectomy is Sexual Reassignment Surgery, think about it. Sure, it would destroy the ability to make Testosterone, good; I do not need that junk anyway because I AM A WOMAN! I'm just stuck in a male outer shell.

The V.A. places the Trans vets on HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy), keeps us there for a few years, then comes telling us they can no longer do our prescriptions for Estrogen treatment. Doing this can and will make a Trans woman suicidal.

I know this to be factual because I handle this type of situation every day. I do volunteer suicide prevention work, so I know firsthand what goes on.

There is a severe lack of equal treatment, which is unfair to us. Why do we have to be treated like this?

Another Transgendered Veteran that I know has been refused even the basic of treatment for a disability she recieved while in her Advanced Individual Training (AIT). She wound up tearing the back of her rotator cuff and it took the VA almost five years to finally diagnose and treat this problem. Now the VA will not assist this Veteran in even the BASIC form of Pain control. She has been fighting for the past 7 years to have her Disibality rating reviewed, as she was discharged with a 10% rating from the ARMY but the VA gave her 0%. Where is the justice in this? Why are Transgendered Veterans and Currently Active Service members treated like they are diseased, or second-class citizens?

As stated earlier, we are no different than a Non-Trans vet. What makes a Non-Trans vet any better than one of us?

All we ask for is to be seen as equal and to be treated as equal, nothing more or less. This is something you would not ask for, but demand. Are we to be called equal only when it suits the government? Which in our case is never because we will always be seen as a disease or worse.

Guest Donna Jean

SharleahLynn, Honey.....

If I may add my small story in here for a moment...

I very recently lost my health insurance after having it for 40 years...

So i decided to sign up with the VA just in case..

Our VA in our small town is an "Out Patient" unit with doctors and nurses...

I was enrolled and given appointments for blood work and EKG, etc...

I told the nurse right up front that I was a Trans vet which was pretty obvious by my looks and med list.

When I went in to see the doctor I told her too..She was very curious about me and talked with me for over two hours..She is the Veterans Womans advocate and wants me under her wing...She is looking into what the VA can do for me...

While I was there..they gave me a glucosemeter, lancets and a gob of test strips because I have mild Diabetes..

I was treated with the utmost respect and received multiple huggs from the nurses and the doctor...

Needless to say ...my very limited experience was very good.

I was very apprehensive about the whole thing before I went because of all the stories I've read like yours..

But, my experience was limited, so, only time will tell...

(I was very stunned to learn that the VA is NOT standardized and somethings that a vet can get at one VA, can't be had at another!)

Godd luck to all my fellow vets with the VA.

Donna Jean

Guest Gina9223

The VA system is run by states. Sadly, each state has a different take on treatment of transgender/transexual veterans.

With you being in Texas (please correct me if I'm wrong) they are known to be one of the worst for transgender/transexual customer services.

Yesterday, one of the many people I've supported as they transitioned out of the military finally walked in to a VA center to perform thier induction in to the VA system. They didn't give her any issues, set her up for therapy, an endo appointment, asked her intentions for SRS and if she needed help with it, talked about getting an orchi and then went ahead and placed her file in the womens clinc. In short, they did everything that they should do. Now, if they follow thru with all of that I'll be amazed but so far its looking legit. She called to confirm things and her perscriptions were ready for pick up.

I've come to the conclusion that going to the VA is a 'Your Mileage May Very' and YMMV varies wildly when it comes to us.

• Admin

I've come to the conclusion that going to the VA is a 'Your Mileage May Very' and YMMV varies wildly when it comes to us.

I think that is a very true statement, Gina. Donna Jean's experience is indicative of several that I've read here recently. No excuse whatsoever for poor treatment, and I do think you should file a formal complaint SharleahLynn. But I'm glad that it's not a universal problem.

Carolyn Marie

Guest SharleahLynn

The V.A. needs to be the same for everyone and not try to single out some because they are trans. It is a shame that some states treat us with respect while other states treat us like some infectious disease, this is so wrong. What ever happened to equal and just treatment? Did that just leave on a roadtrip and forgot its way back? And grievences are being filed.

Guest Donna Jean

The V.A. needs to be the same for everyone and not try to single out some because they are trans. It is a shame that some states treat us with respect while other states treat us like some infectious disease, this is so wrong. What ever happened to equal and just treatment? Did that just leave on a roadtrip and forgot its way back? And grievences are being filed.

Good for you, Hon...don't put up with it...you served just like all other vets out there!

I do wish that something could be done about standardizing the whole thing!

I've heard of girls moving to other states just because they have a better VA...that's unacceptable!

Donna Jean

Guest Gina9223

Saddly, the VA is run by individual states. Thank Congress for that. Yes, many states are bigoted about the issue of Trans health care. There is improved VA regulation in regards to Transgender health care, however the federal VA administration itself is blocking its fielding.

What you can do (and anyone else can do if they have problems) is go to the individual hospital patient advocate (every hosptial has one) with your grievence and/or contact the Transgender American Veterans Association. Talk to them about the situation.

For active duty types that I assist, I do direct them to move to a state/locale that is known to have a VA hospital system that does provide Transgender health care services.

Right now, I have peeps that have gone to the VA in San Deigo, San Fransico, Seattle, Boston and Worchester Mass locations. They recived therapy and HRT with no issues. Thier other health care needs were meet with no issues. Only my peep in Seattle has been asked if they need assistance for SRS or an Orchi. This intel is from my peep to me directly and was obtained in the past 12 months (August 2009 to August 2010).

Guest Donna Jean

Right now, I have peeps that have gone to the VA in San Deigo, San Fransico, Seattle, Boston and Worchester Mass locations. They recived therapy and HRT with no issues. Thier other health care needs were meet with no issues. Only my peep in Seattle has been asked if they need assistance for SRS or an Orchi. This intel is from my peep to me directly and was obtained in the past 12 months (August 2009 to August 2010).

Gina....

That's very encouraging. During my visit, there was nothing set up for Trans patientes and my doc said that she would look into what they could for me.

Also, she showed me on the computer where she could select "Homosexual or Transsexal," and a couple of other choices..she asked me if I wanted her to choose one and I told her "Not yet" because I didn't want to jepordize me getting help by putting anything down yet...

Do you have any insight into that?

Huggs

Donna Jean

• 1 month later...
Guest Billijo49504

Hopefully tomorrow I will recieve a call from the director of the wonem's clinic in Battle Creek Michigan. I talked to her yesterday and she said I could get HRT from them as she recognised the mental health service that I got my letter from. She is looking to see what accomadations would be made for me in the PTSD clinic. She told me that the VA has a directive on dealing with Transgendered veterans. And she said that there is some talk about the VA making a change to providing SRS in the future. Seeing as I have 42D breasts, she asked if I've had a mamogram before, I said no, she said I'm in for a surprise. If she has good news for me, I'm ready to go. Oh and she gave me her direct number, so I didn't have to go through the switchboard. I feel like i'm in a dream, I hope that I don't wake up to find it just a bad dream....Billijo

• Admin

That's fantastic news, hon. I am thrilled that thing are working out so well for you.

It just seems a shame that policies and practices vary so much from one state or one VA facility to another. You would think that an agency would have a uniform policy, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyway, you found the perfect place to be. :)

Carolyn Marie

Guest Donna Jean

Honey...that's great!

I'm also going through my local VA as their first ever Trans girl...

So, there are no policies in place at this time..

But, my doctor is head of the women veteran's group and wants me in there...

She (my doc) is trying to get HRT for me, too...I've been out of therapy for almost two years and on HRT for 20 months so, I'd like the HRT to be covered...

And, if they are considering SRS, they had better get with it...I'm gonna want mine within the next two years..I have my letter in hand!

Real good stuff, Hon...

Thank for posting!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean USAF

Guest Billijo49504

Well, the nice lady from the VA women's clinic called to tell me that the person she needed to speak to, was in meetings or not there today. But she hadn't forgot me. So I guess it will be nexst week before I find out. She has to see if they have any private rooms available. She figures that would be the best. But on the positive side, she did ask if she could have more information about me, and pass it on to the PTSD clinic. So she now has my last name and last 4. I told her she has my permission to do what ever it takes to get in to the clinic. And from what she said, we are talking about working on three things at once, PTSD, HRT and the booze. This waiting is really a pain...Hugs ...Billijo

• 1 month later...
Guest Billijo49504

Well tomorrow I leave for Battle Creek for the PTSD clinic. And I was told to only bring enough meds for one day. Well when I get out of the shower, in a few minutes, I will be putting on 2 estradiol patches. A I have a bottle of high mg spiro. And next week I'll take those off, unless we have a pissin contest, with the VA, and put on 2 more. Yesterday I asked a VA Dr for the meds, he said no, so I toled him that my outside Dr is a DO, and he is a PA. I called the nice lady in BC, to seewhat to do. Do I need to bring the meds or just a copy of the scripts. I hope she calls me back.....Billijo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Billijo49504

Hi SharleahLynn, I spent a week in a VA hospital, and they knew I was transgendered. So I was put in a private room with my own bathroom. One night several of the nurses asked if I'd mind answering some of their questions about being trans. And they told me it was just that they were nosey, andI didn't have to answer their questions. They were very nice and polite. And their questions were mostly about wanting to be a women. And they wanted to see what I looked like as a woman. So I told them to come back in 30 minutes. They were shocked to see me. and yes, they said I could pass as a woman. They wondered about my hormone letter and how I got a Dr to write a script for them. I showed them a few web sites to get more information. So it was a good experience....Billijo

Guest willow ann

my first visit to the VA was pretty scary. I was one of their first transsexual. they sent me through the SAME process that any other veteran would receive. Blood pressure, someone who specializes in PTSD, and a psychologist. Poop i was out of there. At that time I was just signing up so I never would have to again. Then just about 6 months ago I had money issues and wanted to know if they could fill my prescriptions from my doctor. I had just enough to go to the doctor and drive there but not to pay for the medicines. I went there and one of the doctors got one of them filled but the other could not. I ask why. She told me that because the VA had some policy against it. :blink: I also got put on an appointment for a doctor. I went to the appointment and the doctor treated me very nicely but was told that she wasn't allowed to prescribe any of my medications :blink: I also got a breast exam and was taught how to do them. Lastly, I got sent to the woman's health clinic to see a therapist there. :D I just loved it that day, other than the fact I couldn't get my medications :( I'm hoping that if I go to another one I can soon. That time I just survived by buying only certain ones. I will be calling the therapist there tomorrow in hopes of being able to get my medications for free because that's truly what it's about, getting what we want for free. :lol:

Guest Guest_SL

Hey all,

I live in an area that has one of the top VA systems in the country and all of my care has been excellent. I discussed, briefly, Transgendered Vets with my therapist last visit and she said they had strict guide lines on dealing with a Trans Vet to respect their identity, their privacy and their dignity. She didn't go into what medical support they of or do not offer and I didn't pursue the topic.

She mentioned that in her clinic there were a number of trans Vets, more than I would have guessed and that's only one clinic in a very large system.

As we have yet to discuss my own identity (Though I threw out several major hints.....) I didn't press her for any more information.

She personally had not had any dealings with a Trans Vet but had heard nothing but positive things from those medical staff who had. In other words, those in the system are cooperative and easy to work with.

I'm sorry that you have had such a tough time and yes, the Patient Advocate is where you need to start.

Best of luck with that and with your health issues.

SL

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gina9223

OK, latest update from a peep.

She had an evaluation for an orchi at her VA (and yes, they do give her HRT with no hassles) and she's set to return in 6 months for a second evaluation and schedule her orchi.

The 6 month wait and the evaluations is understandable. They seem to be following a set standard of care. Looks and sounds good so far.

~That is all~

• 2 months later...
Guest Lindsey_Elaine

Hello everyone!!

This is to be my first post ever, so i suppose i should start off with a Hello! oh wait, i already did that. I currently live in Washington State about 4 hours south of Seattle. In the V.A. Clinic here i have had some good and bad experiences with Doctors, nurses etc etc. They tell me that i should have a service connected disabiltiy for my hips n knees.. They are totally fried! I can't even stand for very long periods of time..

I am a Iraq Vet ( x2 ) and have now been on hormones for actually will be a year the 23rd of this month. Paid for by the V.A. They didn't care at all about giving them to me, even asked what dosage i wanted !!! So I told them, and i was out the door!!

Now a year later, i am a 34b, very fem and very self concious of myself.. Self Acceptance ??!! God knows i am trying!!

I have been "dumped" by doctors now 4 times with or without notice.. But that isn't totally a shock since the town i live in is so small it's probably the only place where u can see a gun rack in the back of a Volvo LOL

I am now, currently seeing a new Doctor, i am unclear as to her experience with TransGirls are but doesn't seem like much at all.. :( I was on the phone with her and her nurse yesterday and they are talking about sending me North to Seattle to see someone up there with regards to my Gender Identity Disorder and to "evaluate" my current medications..

Currently, my income level is very, well below the National average, but very typical for " OUR" demographic :( I would love it for the V.A. to cover my Orchiectomy! Does anyone here have any info on the Seattle V.A. with regards to their " Transgender Clinic?" I don't have an idea as to when i will be going up there i assume within the next 6 weeks.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated and excepted!

All my love and Respect for each of you,

Lindsey Elaine Wylde

Edited by Carolyn Marie
Dosage info deleted per the site rules
Guest Gina9223

The Seattle VA is accepting and of the few friends that I have that go there they have had good experiances all around. They MAY do orchi's, one of my peeps there is on track (6 moonth wait for diagnostic reasons) for an orchi but she may go to Thailand for SRS.

So, yeah Seattle VA is good.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bailey

I have had very good reception at both the Austin VA and Shreveport VA. I have a gender therapist and my HRT letter. Just have to meet my PCP, (my old one is no longer there and the new one just started this month). But I should have something started by the end of the month. My therapist is going to talk with my new PCP so I can start as soon as possible. I do know that the VA is working to address the problem and the head of mental health, at least in Louisiana, has stated that we are to be treated as any other veteran and that the VA does provide HRT. Hope this provides some hope.

Aislinn

Guest Michaele

Aislinn,

That sounds like good news that the VA can provide HRT. I guess I'll be making a visit to the Michigan area VA and see what happens.

Shelley