• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Can I Get Help Typing Something Up?

Guest Janessa

Guest Janessa

Well the media kind of irritated me recently with all their stereotypes and making trans women out to be a bunch of things they are not, so I typed up about 4 paragraphs of information and wish to make it my Facebook bio, so my friends will know the facts and not just the lies told by the media. Although I really do not know much about the subject at all and I don't want to accidentally say anything false/possibly offensive to the transgender community. So am I allowed to post what I've typed up on this thread and get help fixing any mistakes? =/

• Admin

So am I allowed to post what I've typed up on this thread and get help fixing any mistakes? =/

Yes you are allowed, or you may PM your write up to me and I'll be happy to take a look at it.

Either way is fine, hon. I think its a great idea, too.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Janessa

Kay thanks, I talked a little bit about prostitution in it(since the media seems to be misleading about that a lot) so wanting to make sure it's not offensive in any way. Well, here it is:

"The media misrepresents trans women all the time, so don't take anything you see on TV about transgender people seriously - though I'd hope people wouldn't take television too seriously in the first place. You might have heard stories of trans women hiding the fact they have male genitalia from men and then whipping it out in their face; this is actually a false stereotype and the fact is, if any trans woman tried this they would probably get themselves killed or at least beaten up, so no-one is stupid enough to even attempt this.

Trans women are not "men in dresses" and most trans women only wear the clothes of their true gender in small amounts, after transition, or when alone/around close friends that don't mind; my last psychologist actually expected me to show up full clad in womens clothing, in public, before she'd take me seriously, which is one good reason I think she's just a nut job and a bigot. Trans women do not have a mental problem either, although I think calling it a birth defect would be appropriate - I don't know whether other transgender people would find calling it a birth defect appropriate though, so probably shouldn't go around saying that. If you look it up you will notice homosexuality used to be considered a mental disorder as well, so obviously psychologists make mistakes - in fact, I found out recently transgenderism is no longer considered a mental disorder in France, so one country has fixed this mistake already.

The media also neglects to mention that any transsexual prostitutes that do exist, only exist because in many cities it is next to impossible for a transgender person to get a job due to discrimination(one good reason I'm not going to be too open about being transgender) and when the choice is either prostitution or dying of starvation, some turn to prostitution. In my opinion the transgender community would be better off if transsexual prostitutes didn't exist, but I don't hate them, I wish no-one would, and if employers were not so discriminatory this wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

There are tons of other stereotypes, but all I'm saying is assume any stereotypes you do see are either false or there is some important piece of information the media neglects to mention. If you're unsure whether something is true or not, ask me. I'm no expert on the subject so I may not have an answer, but even just my opinion is more reliable than the media that honestly shouldn't be talking about this subject in the first place when they base everything off lies and misleading information."

• Admin

Janessa, I think its very good, hon. Very well said.

I do have a couple of suggestions. The first is that, before transition, and especially after going full time (the "real life experience" or RLE), most transwomen and transmen prefer and expect to be dressed in the appropriate gender-specific clothing at all times, unless its necessary to be in a different mode for work purposes. I certainly prefer dressing en femme whenever possible.

You might also want to emphasize the fact that it is not a "choice" for us, that most of us learn we are different at a very early age, that it cannot be "cured" and that there is some evidence of a genetic basis for the condition.

Looks fine, otherwise.

Carolyn Marie

Nice job of pointing out France depathologising gender dysphoria, it's definitely been an important step. The tone is a lot less boring than similar anti-stereotype explanations I've read before! *grins* I think you're onto a winner.

Guest Janessa

How's this look?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Trans women are not "men in dresses" and most trans women wear the clothes of their true gender either in small amounts, are actually trying to pass as their true gender, or only dress when alone/around close friends that don't mind; my last psychologist actually expected me to show up full clad in womens clothing, in public, before she'd take me seriously, which is one good reason I think she's just a nut job and a bigot.

Trans women do not have a mental problem either, although I think calling it a birth defect would be appropriate - I don't know whether other transgender people would find calling it a birth defect appropriate though, so probably shouldn't go around saying that. If you look it up you will notice homosexuality used to be considered a mental disorder as well, so obviously psychologists make mistakes - in fact, I found out recently transgenderism is no longer considered a mental disorder in France, so one country has fixed this mistake already. Most transgender individuals had some level of gender dysphoria(discontent with their biological sex) at a very young age and nothing can make a person content with their biological sex; unless some complicated brain surgery to change transgender people is invented, but considering this would have a high possiblity of death/mental impairment, would make them a completely different person, and would be inhumane, it makes a lot more sense to go through with hormone treatment and eventually sexual reassignment surgery. There is even some evidence of transgenderism being related to a persons genetics."

Wasn't quite sure how to word the part involving it being related to genetics. =\

Guest Daiyu Hurst

It's not genetics at play so much, that produces us, though it plays a role. But it is a biological process that's at work, one that encounters variations in its expression. I think Dr. Bushong's website has a good concise description of this that you can see at

What is Gender?

A more engaging description is available in "Mystery Dance: On the Evolution of Human Sexuality" by Lynn Margulis and Dorion Sagan (widow and child of Carl Sagan):

Review

Ah, Google has it online!

Mystery Dance @ Google Books

Group hug!

Guest Daiyu Hurst

Oops!

In my previous post, I included a link to what I thought was the Mystery Dance! book online.

It's not, its a book that references the Margulis/Sagan text. Sorry folks!

• Admin

How's this look?

"...most trans women wear the clothes of their true gender either in small amounts, are actually trying to pass as their true gender, or only dress when alone/around close friends that don't mind;

I suggest changing that to read: most transwomen wear the clothes of their true gender whenever possible, and all the time after beginning their "real life test" and following gender reassignment surgery. Some can't due to family or work issues and only dress partially or when alone.

...nothing can make a person content with their biological sex; unless some complicated brain surgery to change transgender people is invented, but considering this would have a high possiblity of death/mental impairment, would make them a completely different person, and would be inhumane, it makes a lot more sense to go through with hormone treatment and eventually sexual reassignment surgery.

I suggest leaving out the whole brain surgery thing. That is very unlikely and just complicates the issue. I would just leave it that there isn't a cure, and that the only "treatment" for gender dysphoria for transsexuals is HRT, and usually, but not always, SRS.

Carolyn Marie

Guest ChloëC

I'm comfortable with what you've written, Janessa. The only part I would (and it's me) de-emphasize would be the birth defect discussion. Some birth defects actually can be corrected (cleft palate, co-joined twins, etc) and I would hope we're all here at the point that we believe - until overwhelming proof of the opposite is shown - that transgenderism is not 'correctable'.

Giving people who don't understand us, a misunderstandable 'out' - oh, birth defect. Correctable? - is not usually in our best interests.

As I keep saying, I am what I am, nothing more, nothing less. I was made this way, and I'm living and dealing with it as best as I can. Just like - everybody - else. And that 'best' is making choices, anywhere from making no changes to huge changes, just like everyone else.

It will be when people understand that some are born short, some are born tall, some smart, some not so smart, some heterosexual, some homosexual, some transsexual, and there's nothing wrong with any of that, that we will be where we need to be in society.

Anyway, just my thoughts. But good for you Janessa, we need to get the word out! And every bit helps.

Hugs

Chloë

Guest vertigo

Just don't give too much complicated information if you aren't going to provide enough additional information to explain it all in detail. You will just raise more questions, and it will mess everything up. That's usually why I don't even start the topic in the first place. The arguments that rise from this can be quite intense. Also, we don't have different words for biological sex and gender here, so it's just... well, confusing!

P.S. I think Norway also removed transsexualism from their list. I don't know about transgenderism, not sure if it's actually an illness... Or is it... Oh, god, I don't know anymore. <_<

• Admin

not sure if it's actually an illness... Or is it...

I think its considered a "condition," at least in the U.S. Definitely not an illness, though, unless you're a Republican. :P

Carolyn Marie

Guest Janessa

I'm comfortable with what you've written, Janessa. The only part I would (and it's me) de-emphasize would be the birth defect discussion. Some birth defects actually can be corrected (cleft palate, co-joined twins, etc) and I would hope we're all here at the point that we believe - until overwhelming proof of the opposite is shown - that transgenderism is not 'correctable'.

Giving people who don't understand us, a misunderstandable 'out' - oh, birth defect. Correctable? - is not usually in our best interests.

As I keep saying, I am what I am, nothing more, nothing less. I was made this way, and I'm living and dealing with it as best as I can. Just like - everybody - else. And that 'best' is making choices, anywhere from making no changes to huge changes, just like everyone else.

It will be when people understand that some are born short, some are born tall, some smart, some not so smart, some heterosexual, some homosexual, some transsexual, and there's nothing wrong with any of that, that we will be where we need to be in society.

Anyway, just my thoughts. But good for you Janessa, we need to get the word out! And every bit helps.

Hugs

Chloë

Do you think this would sound better?

"Trans women do not have a mental problem despite popular belief; instead it is a physical problem - if you compare anorexia and transgenderism, both of which involve discontent with ones body, you will notice anorexic feelings can not be resolved no matter how much physical appearance is changed, while transgender feelings can be resolved by changing physical appearance, because anorexia is mental and transgenderism is physical."

Somewhat wanting to show some proof that transgenderism isn't a mental problem, but not sure if that works or not. =s