• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Coming Out...and All That Stuff

Guest Justme

Guest Justme

Been reading alot of posts about people looking to come out. Just thought I'd put out this experience.

In NH, I cannot change gender markers on my drivers license without complete surgery. Anyway, I have this 12 year old car that is dying a slow death. I've spent this week going to dealerships and seeing what i can find. Anytime I test drive a car, the dealership makes this 'big--blown-up copy of my drivers license.' With That big old 'F' on it. I go into the dealership and treated like one of the good ole boys...and when I get back from the test drive....things have changed....but...only for a few minutes. I maintain my confidence. Still, being the man I know I am....even though I am shaking in my shoes...and...guess what? No matter what this legal document says.....these people see and hear....a man. And i get a firm handshake....a person saying..."anything else I can do for you Bud...let me know."

I have found the same to be true in my workplace. I transitioned on the job that I still work at. And even the naysayers...are now...having a hard time seeing me as anything but the man I am.

Just wanted to share this with people that are looking to come out. Just be confident in yourself. People tend to trust their visual and auditory perceptions more than anything else. At least, that's my experience. Peace!

I'll be buggered. :mellow: *5 days later realized no one's replied yet."

That's an awesome experience! How you carry yourself does seem to make a huge difference, not just in passing and coming out, but in general. When you've got that confidence, you can almost feel the change in how you're perceived. It's quite amazing really. . .

Yes, thank you for sharing this. Really not sure why there have not been more replies, it just happens that way sometimes. Please let us know if you found a car, and some more about if you had to work on building confidence, or if it is something you have always had.

Hugs,

Opal