• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Where Do I Begin?

Sally

On this date in 2009 I started a new path on my journey of self discovery, the beginning of the real physical changes.

On Monday night August 17, 2009 I received my prescription for my hormones, I was so excited that I drove as fast as I could from Dallas to my neighborhood in Southwest Fort Worth - I went to the CVS drive through and left my order, then on to the McDonald's nearby to over eat on some junk food as I usually did in those days.

I drove back over to the CVS and almost died when they told me how much I owed, I had been researching prices on generic hormones and my Doctor had written the scrips to be as inexpensive as possible - CVS did not participate in that program, what could I do, I emptied my bank account via my debit card and went home so angry that I was shaking.

I posted about that here and I remained so angry that I decided not to take the first dose that night, I did not want that to be how I started - feeling so mad at myself for not having checked into things further.

Then at about 10 PM on Tuesday August 18, 2009 I was on my cell phone talking to Lizzy (funny how some people play such big parts in each others lives) and she asked me when I was going to take that first dose, when I told her I was going to as soon as we were through talking she told me to go get some water and come back to the phone so that I would remember that first dose with the happy thought of sharing the experience with a friend.

Well as many of you know they do not take effect immediately, there is much work for them to do before they are completely in charge of our bodies but there is that sudden calm and warmth of knowing that after all of this time you are finally moving in the right direction.

A lot has happened since then and I will not try to cover it all but almost everything that I had hoped for is already taking place.

The Breast development has been going very well and just by losing a bit of weight around the middle they will be impossible to hide at work.

The body hair is all but gone, no shaving or any kind of treatments, it is just going away - I shaved my legs last September before I went to Memphis to meet Donna Jean and Lizzy - I have not since, it never grew back! :)

Emotional?

Well that component was always there but I was able to hide it better then, now I might just tear up at work if a sad thought crosses my mind.

In Fort Worth I sat around in my empty house wishing for a life and now I have moved to New Orleans and I am out and about as myself everywhere except work and that will change before too much longer.

I go everywhere in this area except the mall where I work and everyone calls me ma'am and asks Lizzy and me if you ladies would like a dessert - would I!

But that is in the past with the junk food, I have a pretty strict diet now, I never eat anything that I cannot lift and that is getting to be a bit smaller each day because the muscle mass goes away faster then the body hair.

I have given up so much to get to this point and I am not stopping yet, I have more places to go and this time when I see the world it sees me!

If this 58 year old, 6'4" overweight transsexual who was sure she could never do this can transition and be openly accepted by everyone that she meets, there is no reason that most of you should have any doubts about that.

Hormones are very powerful, the changes are dramatic and permanent so be sure before you start and then hold on it is a wild riide!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Donna Jean

If this 58 year old, 6'4" overweight transsexual who was sure she could never do this can transition and be openly accepted by everyone that she meets, there is no reason that most of you should have any doubts about that.

Love ya,

Sally

You're 6' 4"?

No wonder it was so hard to hugg you in Memphis! DANG!

Sally, Girlfriend...

I remember all of this and how angry you were over the cost of the HRT at the pharmacy that evening...

You could barely speak....

That's the past, though and so much has changed in your life...all for the better...

You're a year in now and living with your BFF in New Orleans...

You're working and making some money, buying clothes and living mostly out!

What else could you ask for?

I'm really happy for you, Sally...you struggled so hard and now you're making an incredible difference in your life...

You go girl.....

LOVE

Dee Jay

Sally Dear, thank you so much for sharing this! Yes, you have given up things, but you have gained so much more by doing so. I can only imagine how much happier you are now. Sure, life does not get any easier, but once a person understands the Dysphoria and what path they need to take, is there really an easy choice otherwise?

Plus, through your path and your struggles, you have been so kind and supportive to so many of us. I want to say so much more, but the words are not coming to me.

I wish you the best in the days and weeks ahead!

Big Hugs !!

Opal

• Admin

Dear Sally, I didn't know you then, but I have been blessed with your friendship for the past 15 months, and watched you change (first through your words, then through Skype). It has

been a real roller coaster, I know. But now when I see you its a different person - happy,

full of life, full of energy, and sometimes, just full of it. :P

My life is better for you being in it. Your life is better for having hormones in it, as

well as good friends and lots of love.

Keep on trucking, Momma Sally!

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

Sally angel

You ave earned every moment of your happiness and are an inspiration to all those who say "I can't" because you are proof the you can.

With grace and courage.

And still reach out to others while you do.

You are loved and you deserve every bit of the love and happiness in your life

Not to mention that you've only just begun!!

Love

JJ

Guest Elizabeth K

Good in the telling! You are the one so many watch here at Laura's and it is a GRAND story! You are realizing a ifetime dream an it shows in how your life is changing ror the better. Happy birthday dear! One year old and still gettng better and better!

Elizabeth Anne