• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Is This Of Concern To Anyone?

Guest My_Genesis

Guest My_Genesis

hey everyone,

i am new here..i just posted my intro today..but i'll warn you all it's very long..if no one replies i wont be surprised in the least lol..

anyway, my major problem w/ being transgender is that i am probably stuck in more of a tangled rut than most of you guys are. i've posted this in another thread, but i will reiterate as briefly as possible here.

basically, as long as i am anatomically female, i cannot see myself doing anything sexual. this means that i cannot see myself transitioning or taking hormones or anything..because male hormones are only going to...well, you know.

I cannot see myself getting genital surgery any more easily, because, first of all, i'd have to transition to do that..and the thought of having female anatomy while getting hairy and even more sexual would only make my life more of a living hell. (sorry, i didnt mean to sound overly dramatic or anything). Secondly, i don't think i'll ever truly feel like i have mind-body congruence unless i have "male parts". and to be honest, i don't consider the current bottom surgeries "male parts". I'm not trying to sound mean, and i'm sorry if anyone is insulted by this..but for me, rolling up a tube of skin and suturing it on me is not going to make me happy. I am a man...I have a man's brain, not a "woman-who-is-trying-to-be-a-man" 's brain. so there is still going to be incongruency, if i were to get the surgery. I'm not degrading anyone who has gotten it or anything, this is just the way i feel about what it would be like for me to get it.

So, getting to the point, what option am i left with? it seems the best thing i can do, since i want to go into research anyway, would be to do as much research as possible when i go to college with tissue engineering techniques...they have done this in labs with rabbits: they castrated them, and then used their own cells to grow back everything they'd just stripped them of (their manhood lol :D ) and they said it works just as well as before. if we can take that a step further and apply it to ftm surgeries..yes, it will take more work to figure it out..but don't you think it will be well worth it? am i the only one who is so concerned about this aspect of it? does anyone else feel the same way i do about the whole transitioning/surgical process? i know i always felt isolated from non-trans people...i just don't want to feel isolated from ftm's either, because then i don't belong anywhere :(

Guest Shaun.Olsen

Hello there,

Well i read your post and to be honest dont really know what you are trying to get across to fellow ftm's i am a ftm , living in australia, and been an ftm since birth have a males brain and all that stuff, on testosterone and about to undergo chest reconstruction..... but i am not getting a penis.... being a man or transitioning into a man has nothing to do with wedding tackle mate, and as far as i know.... 80% of trans men are happy with what they have...

testosterone makes your clitoris larger, and there are surgeries if you want to that is that frees the clitoral head away from the hood, extends it, and they sew up and extend your urethra and construct a small yet effective penile shaft, its not large enough for penetration, but as far as i know transitioning has absolutley nothing to do with sex..

FTM transmen are on a journey to make thier bodies show what thier inner minds and souls state they are, umm, in otherwords we are matching the inner with the outer, nothing more.

Are you sure you are a ftm? maybe your a Ft? as far as i know, and everyone is welcome to put me in my place here but a FTM is an individual that desires to transition not only in a social but medical way too.....

Me personally. i am not at all worried if i never have a penis, there are ways around that and if in my life a woman loves me for my penis only or ability to make love as a man then she really is not worth it, there is more to life than sex ans sexual intercourse.

80% of transmen opt to only get a double bilateral mastectomy and for the lower part.... a prosthetic apendage.....

Guest GoldenKirbichu

Well... I'm more comfortable with my genitalia than that. I see them as a heavily mutated form of the genitals I want, and I'd like to change them into something different and better for me. However, I do agree with the premise that tissue engineering is a good idea for us to look into.

Guest Sergei
FTM transmen are on a journey to make thier bodies show what thier inner minds and souls state they are, umm, in otherwords we are matching the inner with the outer, nothing more.

Are you sure you are a ftm? maybe your a Ft? as far as i know, and everyone is welcome to put me in my place here but a FTM is an individual that desires to transition not only in a social but medical way too.....

I think each ftm feels differently about the different surgeries. For me having the bottom surgery is really important, but not for sexual reasons. I would rather it looked perfect and, even if I could never use it for sexual intercourse. I have to say though that unlike a lot of transmen I am comfortable with what I have down there at the moment, especially since I have gone on T and have seen myself getting larger. It gives me hope that I'm giving the surgeons something to work with.

Guest My_Genesis

yeah sergei, i think you're right about each ftm feeling differently...that's kinda what i'm concerned about - the fact that the way i see it the majority of ftm's don't seem to be bothered by this as much as i am, which is what gives me the fear that even in the ftm community, i am a minority :unsure: i've got to be ftm, i really don't belong anywhere else..the problem is, in my case, i think of it in a much more absolute way than most ftm's do, or most who are transgendered in any way. The whole thing about the gender spectrum..i can't see myself that way at all, as something in between male and female. i don't have anything against anyone who feels that way..it's just not for me, i guess. i just feel comfortable identifying myself as 100% male, nothing less, and that includes the physical aspect of it as well. i guess maybe it's just the neurotic perfectionist in me...i'll face it, i'm completely anal..god knows why i feel like i have to be perfect. perhaps it is to counteract all the imperfection i've always felt was a part of me..who knows.. :huh:

Guest Mr. Fox

I feel similarly to how you do. However, I plan to just get as close as I can. An imperfect transition is better than being female.

Adrian

• 3 months later...
Guest My_Genesis

I read somewhere that there are 2 genes that have been linked to height, one of which is on the Y-chromosome..I'm wondering if we ever did tissue engineering with Y chromosomes, if that would make us any taller, even if we are fully grown... just because it may encode for a taller full-grown height than our female full-grown height..ok I'm getting a little ambitious here :rolleyes:

Guest Evan_J
An imperfect transition is better than being female.

Adrian

And yeah, I second that.

However, and I don't know how alone I'll be on this line, while a prosthetic actually would suffice with regard to "play" with a woman, yeah in my perfect world I wanna feel everything with her. I admit that the search for the perfect phallo surgery for me encompasses that. Maybe I like sex too much. Maybe I like sex with women too much. Maybe I like that kind of sex with women too much. Whatever. Its real.

And while I'll try to figure out the best options when the time comes, PLEASE don't feel hindered from whatever research or ambitions you have :P

Guest Jack Solomon

I agree that there may be still be some feeling of incongruency, even if you get the surgery. This is the same way it is for me. There will always be the knowledge that it is not the same as a bio male's body, and if you have a mind that is a perfectionist's this is going to be doubly true. Surgery can only do so much currently, even if the end result is a decent sized penis that functions. But it would sure be better than now, in my way of thinking.

I can from a certain standpoint understand your sentiments about not wanting to use hormones while still anatomically female - heck, in a perfect world we shouldn't have to. But even with an improved surgical technique via tissue engineering, realistically as you yourself mentioned you're still going to have to hormonally transition at some point. I know it sucks that we have to utilize synthetic hormones at all to develop what we have into a male appearance, but the only other option would be like a total body switch, and science has just not gotten that far yet. Believe me, I wish it had though.

I cannot see doing anything sexual with what is currently down there either. I truly am in a similar bind. I cannot in any way convince myself that I could ever be satisfied with what's down there. Its just plain unfamilar, and a constant reminder. There is no clear reason why I should be disgusted by what's down there, but the feelings have always been present. 'Familiarizing yourself with the area' really doesn't work for me, that actually makes it worse. So I'm with you there. I need male-appearing 'tackle' in the right place, I can't imagine having sex any other way, and by that I mean the potential scenario of being the partner with female equipment disturbs me. I shouldn't have to compromise myself if what I have does not right, in any case.

Anyhow, I think tissue engineering is potentially a good idea. Also, from a realistic stand-point I can see how medical professionals may be currently interested in researching tissue engineering in this area for biological males who have lost their sexual organs in accidents. I have recently read that transplants are also a hot topic right now in terms of transplanting reproductive organs from one female to another. Not the same, but research in transplants focused on the reproductive organs could potentially include more interest in the transplant and more importantly the tissue engineering of male sexual organs in the future. Of course, the practice of transplanting the tackle would still be controversial for obvious reasons and isn't ever likely to be exactly popular. However, I did recently hear of the transplant of a penis that occured some time ago. I'm not sure how successful it was long-term, but I'd imagine it had a much better long-term success rate than the transplanting of a womb from one woman to another.

Solomon

Guest My_Genesis

See, I wouldn't mind taking synthetic hormones as much of I knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel..i.e. if I knew that I would eventually have the "real thing".

I agree that there may be still be some feeling of incongruency, even if you get the surgery. This is the same way it is for me. There will always be the knowledge that it is not the same as a bio male's body, and if you have a mind that is a perfectionist's this is going to be doubly true. Surgery can only do so much currently, even if the end result is a decent sized penis that functions. But it would sure be better than now, in my way of thinking.

I am a perfectionist so that definitely holds true for me..especially when you want to have a "perfect" life (perfect meaning more typical than it has been for me), but you are hindered the body you were born into.

• 3 weeks later...

I know how you feel about the phallo thingy.

First off, it hardly looks anything like a real penis. I mean, yeah. The length and girth (I'm talking about Dr. Perovic's sugery, by the way).

But it doesn't actually look like a penis. You know, with the veins and ridges or whatever. Granted, penises are the prettiest thing in the world, but I still want it to look not so pretty.

Plus, no matter how well it works for sex, standing to pee, etc. etc., it'd never really be a penis.

You talk about tissue engineering. Hopefully, they can get up to speed with tha.

Guest jantonio

Interesting thread. For me the penis doesn't make the man. It is who you are and what you do with your life that makes you. I will only go in my transition just with hormones and top surgery. I don't think I want to put myself through multiple painful surgeries in order to have a penis. That being said, if in the future they come out with a great technique to create a functional penis then I would consider it other than that nope. For me as long as I am acknowledged as a man then that's enough for me.

Jose Antonio... :)

Guest My_Genesis
Interesting thread. For me the penis doesn't make the man. It is who you are and what you do with your life that makes you. I will only go in my transition just with hormones and top surgery. I don't think I want to put myself through multiple painful surgeries in order to have a penis. That being said, if in the future they come out with a great technique to create a functional penis then I would consider it other than that nope. For me as long as I am acknowledged as a man then that's enough for me.

Jose Antonio... :)

the thing is that, for me, i'm kinda with evan:

However, and I don't know how alone I'll be on this line, while a prosthetic actually would suffice with regard to "play" with a woman, yeah in my perfect world I wanna feel everything with her. I admit that the search for the perfect phallo surgery for me encompasses that. Maybe I like sex too much. Maybe I like sex with women too much. Maybe I like that kind of sex with women too much. Whatever. Its real.

It's like being sexually repressed without one.. :blush:

Unlike some transmen, I could never really feel complete unless I had a penis.

And, for a long while, I felt I could feel complete with just the phallo thingy. Cuz, I mean, I figured that's how advanced it'd get in my lifetime.

Then, I hear about tissure engineering and the phallo thing seems like crap to me.

So, all in all, I could never feel my true self unless I had a penis,not a phallus.

I mean, not having a penis wouldn't render me from being happy. Of course I'd still be happy.

I'd just be way happier.