• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Vegan Ftm

Guest Veggy Guy

Guest findthefire

I had only been vegan for about six months before becoming a vegetarian(after five years, I had to switch to pescatarianism, for reasons of health, but I digress), but during that time, I lost a LOT of weight-both muscle mass, and fat. So I know where you're coming from.

I, generally, ate a lot of nuts, nut butters(soy-nut butter is, in my opinion, delicious), and soy products. Try looking around for different sorts of supplements, as well. Make a trip to your local health food store, and tell the person working there that you're looking for a vegan product that can help you with building muscle mass.

Good luck!

• 6 months later...
Guest alexei_tiresias

I have been vegetarian for over 10 years, and have been vegan for periods of time. I try to eat at least 60g protein a day at minimum, but aim for up to 150g if i need it. Although now I eat eggs, I typically get most of my protein from lentils and dried green peas (each have 10g protein per serving at roughly 90 calories). I don't eat soy often because I find it indigestible, but on occasion I'll have some fried tofu or tempeh. Soy is high in estrogen and that makes me paranoid. I would recommend checking out almond cheese, its delicious meltable vegan cheese with abou 7g protein per serving. I actually do eat a lot of beans though, its kind of a different way of cooking, because beans seem like a huge pile of food to eat, but once you track how little protein you may be getting, you can figure out how to adjust what you make. If you are really trying to put on muscle mass and get cut, keep track of what you are eating. I find it better to stick with simple foods like lentils instead of heavily processed 'fake meats' and such, but do whatever works for you. Yellow Pea Protein Isolate has 28g protein per serving which really makes it easier to get up to 100g per day. Look up lists of what vegetables contain the most proteins as well--broccoli is a good one at 5g protein per cup :)

Ideally, to put on some mass, you should eat at least 1g per 1lb bodyweight in protein per day. This gives you a pretty big range of calories though, so make a bunch of chili, or blended bean soups :)

Oh also get NuGo bars! They are vegan and delicious.