• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

22 Year Old Alcoholic...ugh

Guest SicVitaEst

Guest SicVitaEst

So I have been drinking since i was 13, here and there throughout jr high and high school years,

and on a mostly daily basis since i turned 18. There are several alcoholics on both sides of my family.

About a year ago i started having troubles with my gallbladder. I was told bad eating habits and alcohol

are very bad for your gallbladder, but still couldnt resist pounding a "couple" beers after work nearly every night. Two months ago i went to the ER with stomach pains and ended up in surgery the next morning to have my gallbladder removed. I was told that the alcohol was most likely the main cause, and even though the problem was removed, it would be a good idea to give it a rest. i went a whole week after my surgery before i finally gave in and drank a

couple beers. Then it was right back to everyday. Two weeks later i was right back in the ER, with a diagnosis of

alcohol induced something or other, irritating my stomach lining. I was told again not to drink for awhile, until my stomach can make a full recovery, but seriously? I had to have a body part removed because i couldn't just pass once in awhile? Well anyways, it has been a little over a week now and i have not had a drink(mostly out of fear of the pain returning), and i hope to keep it that way. To me it seems so pathetic that going a week is some big accomplishment....oh well, we'll see how it goes...

as always, Miles

Hi Miles,

You have to start somewhere. Good for you for staying away from it. Be happy that you're regaining your health - keep up the good work!

You might be lucky that your body is telling you to stop. Some people tolerate alcohol all too well and stopping is all the more difficult. The problems only get worse as time goes on - stopping now is a good thing!

Please take care...

Love, Kat

Guest Donna Jean

Miles....

I'm sorry to hear that you've had trouble with alcohol....

A week is an accomplishment when you've been a daily drinker...I know that it can be difficult to stop...

Hang in there, Hon....I believe in you!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K

Miles

It seems obvious, with all those problems at such a young age (when your body is as healthy as it ever will be) you are going to die extremely young if you continue drinking. You know this already, I think, or you would not have posted here.

So it is obviously a 'wake-up' call you hear, and you can either heed it or die young. Unfortuately, alcohol caused deaths can be from problems that are extremely painful and somewhat long lasting. You need to have a 'real' life. You need to have a 'long' life.

AND

Alcoholic behavior sneaks up on people. It seems likely you would do very well with a little help from others who have 'been there, done that.'

It's a cliche' but it will turn your life arround. Contact your local AA and see if you can get a mentor.

Best wishes - and keep us up to date - we care... and GAWD, trans and alcoholic! That is not good.

Elizabeth Anne