• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Your First Trans Encounter

Guest audrey michelle

Guest audrey michelle

i was taking a shower and i started thinking of my first encounter with anything trans related (i tend to think A LOT when i shower). and then i was wondering about everyone else's and decided to make a topic about it. i have a couple that i want to share:

1. when i was in 6th grade, i went to a new school for junior high. the principal there happened to be a male to female transsexual. i remember getting a letter about it and i also remember a lot of kids withdrawing from the school. i didnt really have an opinion or much thought on it except that he was now a woman

2. junior year of high school, i knew of a student who was female to male transgendered. i didnt really know much about him except that he wanted everyone to call him by his male name which everyone did. now he has decided that hes just a bisexual female

so what were your first encounters with anything trans related? did you happen to know a person? did you stumble upon it accidentally? did you hear about it from the media? just anything that started your knowledge of the subject and of who you are noww

My first person I met who was trans (at least who I know was trans) was in the support meeting in my city earlier this year. Well I met a lot of trans women. They are all different and there are some I have a problem getting along with. But many share the same fears I do.

Love Jenny

Guest KimberlyF

1. when i was in 6th grade, i went to a new school for junior high. the principal there happened to be a male to female transsexual. i remember getting a letter about it and i also remember a lot of kids withdrawing from the school. i didnt really have an opinion or much thought on it except that he was now a woman

I really can't think of my first, but I went to a party once with a bunch of TVs/TSs I'd met online when I was early 20's.

But if my principal in 6th grade did that, OMG I would have just stared at her all the time thinking that was the most coolest amazing thing in the world and I didn't know that was possible.

Kim

The first I ever heard about anything transsexual would have been around age 5 or 6 (1954?) when I heard adults whispering about Christine Jorgensen. I found it fascinating, what little I overheard, but I hadn't yet figured out my own problem - I still thought I was a normal girl and everything would get better at puberty.

By age 15 (1964) I was in DEEP SH!T - I had figured out that things WEREN'T going to get better - when I heard a FtM on the radio. That was it! I was on the train on my way to meet him. That was the first time I realized I was not alone in the world, that there were others like me and the rest, as they say, is history .... B)

• Admin

The first person I ever read about being trans was Christine Jorgensen. I read everything I could find about her.

I don't recall meeting a transperson until about 8 years ago on a business trip to New Orleans, and talked briefly with a transwoman

nightclub entertainer. (Yes, I was off the clock at the time. ;) ).

Carolyn Marie

Guest Katrina Reann

My first encounter with trans-sexuality was back in the late 1970's. I was flipping through the channels on TV and came across a movie with Robert Reed cross-dressed. I don't remember much of it and didn't get to see a lot of it because my Uncle came in and I changed the channel real quick. But if I remember right the character he was playing was transitioning. I don't even remember the name of the movie..anyone know what it was>>

Guest Donna Jean

I found this....

He won critical acclaim for his portrayal of a doctor who wants to undergo a sex-change operation in a two-part episode of Medical Center in 1975.

Donna Jean

Guest AshleyRF

My first time hearing anything about transsexuality was when I was around 6 or 7, I had stayed home from school one day because I didn't feel well and was allowed to stay alone at home because my grandparents (both sides) lived literally next door and frequently checked on me. Anyway, I was laying on the couch watching going through the TV channels and a talk show came on (I think it was Donnahue (not sure if that's how he spelled it)) and the headline was "This Woman Was Born a Man" and they showed a picture of this absolutely amazingly beautiful woman. So having felt like I was a girl since my earliest memories, this of course caught my attention so I watched the show. As it turns out the woman was Caroline Cossey and she told her story and for the first time in my life I knew I was not the only one who felt this way and I finally had a word for what I was. From that moment on, I was researching like crazy in libraries and books or anything that could give me more information about this.

• Admin

He won critical acclaim for his portrayal of a doctor who wants to undergo a sex-change operation in a two-part episode of Medical Center in 1975.

Donna Jean

I remember that episode, Dee Jay. It had a real impact on me at the time. I was only 21.

Carolyn Marie

i was lucky , in that my mom hardly monitored what .i watched on tv. i had unlimited access to HBO. one night i snuck outta bed. and was watching HBO. i was 7-8 at the time. a series came on . i just hardly remember it now, but remember that it was about. trans type peopl . being HBO. it was aimed at sex. girls with male genitals. it seemed to fit. to a 7 year old transsexual. desprately trying to under stand her self. it was better than finding a pot of gold at the end of a rain bow ....... for the few couple of years up to that point . my mom. had been telling me that boys never look like girls. and use the male members of my family as an example of what. i would eventually look like . ( yeah i died a little inside at the thought of that being my fate ) . but seeing this . girls , that. seemed to have the problem. i did , and some of them were beyond attractive. the compass in my head . that had been spinning . finally had a bearing. ...... my mom woke up , and promptly made me go to bed. i attempted to talk to my mom about it, but got stone walled. " your a boy not a girl" . i now realize that most of those women were. transgenderist, and cross-dressers. and. we were two radically different things but. it was nice to finally have enough info to know i wasn't crazy or alone.

first time. i met a trans person. i was 10-11 ish . standing in the check out line at K-mart with my mom and my big sister. i hear some one yell at some one else loudly to, hurry up. which made me... well it made every one look. the voice came from a boy. but the person standing there looked some what like a girl. this person was i would guess 16-17 . very short hair . had the body build of a boy .slightly wider shoulders narrow hips , and flat chested . i noticed all this because, she was wearing a tube top and a skirt. and she was speaking to some one that came in with her a sibling or a friend , and the more she talked the more i realized it . i was some what mezmerized. i think. any way they left , and i remeber my mom and sister discussing. this girl on the way home the consensus . was that she was a boy.

i somewhat wish. i could meet her now. so i could thank her. that chance encounter coupled with. some knowlege. i picked up in the coming years. ( mostly about hrt ) became the driving force behind me. starting hrt so early, and thus allowing me to blend so much more easily into my true gender role. now

Sakura

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

First time anything TG related for me was over the summer when school was out I came downstairs to watch TV and of course I'd flip to the day time talk shows because they were usually entertaining and/or informative and there on Geraldo "Crossdressers and the women who love them". Of course I was curious because I had no idea what a crossdresser was and they showed her getting dressed and something just clicked inside me.

After that I think it was a few years later when we were in Madison WI walking down one of the university streets and we passed a group of guys who were with a crossdresser. I was dumbfounded because other than that tv show I had heard about crossdressers and had been doing that myself for a few years but had never seen someone else who did it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ScifiComicDUDE

IRL i had never really met any trans people b4 this, b4 i met this two trans guys recently, they looked at me and i looked back at them, we kind of stared at each other for a good few secs. i guess we were sizing up each other and knew the other was FTM.

Guest ChloëC

I had to think about this for a bit, because like many, there are multiple 'first' time encounters. I knew of Christine Jorgensen way back in the 50's, but other than snatches of information most of it seemed twisted towards the exotic. I remember seeing ads in Chicago papers for 'revues' on the seedy side of downtown where there was a club that advertised 20 Beautiful Women on Stage and only 1 naturally born. Living in Chicago and working downtown at various times, I'm sure I passed many cross-dressers, transvestites, and transsexuals but in a city like that, there are thousands of people who dress uniquely so I just didn't look for any. And I've mentioned several of the early interview shows like Sally Jessy Raphael, Donohue, Maury, Lou Gordon, etc. that I've watched over the years.

Several years ago, a mother and adult child would come to this roadhouse that my spouse and I and our friends frequent, on Valentine's Day and it was either a cross-dresser or more likely a mtf in transition (dressed in Valentine red). Everybody sort of looked and I suppose there were hushed comments, but nobody got up and left or treated them any differently than any others. She was probably in her 30's, I would guess. The wait staff was quite ok with it, because it's mostly about tips.

And another time at a Big Boy or similar restaurant, a family of four came in, mother, father (late 40's maybe), teen daughter, in very casual clothing, and a young woman maybe early to mid 20's that was dressed and made-up to kill, and attractive. I took one look and suspected, transgender, but nobody else noticed, and I had no intention of ever pointing anyone, and I mean anyone, out to anybody else for any reason.

Hugs

Chloë

Guest sarah f

Other than what I have seen on TV or on the internet, the first real trans experience I had was when I met Sally for the first time.

I still remember that day and our first hug. I was very nervous meeting her because this was my first time out as Sarah even though I was in male mode. I will always have a special place in my heart for Sally because she is the first to accept me for who I really was.

I love you Sally always.

Guest Elizabeth K

Awwww - Sally is next to me and I read what you had written. So good - and - hey - we get to meet too? That is something I look forward to! MUST MEET YOU IN PERSON!

Lizzy

Sarah,

You will always have a special place in my heart as well.

We were both in male mode and you brought me a card addressed to Sally, I brought it with me to New Orleans - I just have to find where it was packed (must be with my passport and other important and missing documents) - I had just gotten back from Memphis and it came as quite a shock to Lizzy and Dee Jay that I had hugged you - I was a little shy even around them in female mode and her I was in male mode and I decided to give you a hug right in the middle of the parking lot.

We have both come a long way so I hope you are prepared to be hugged again!

I hope we can make connections - you will just love Lizzy.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest sarah f

I can't wait to meet Lizzy for the first time and to see you again. Let me know when you will be in town so that I can try to get off for half a day.

Guest Donna Jean

Sarah...

I sure hope that you get to meet Lizzy....

Both of those girls are truly amazing!

Give them each a bigg hugg for me...ok?

Donna Jean

Guest sarah f

Sarah...

I sure hope that you get to meet Lizzy....

Both of those girls are truly amazing!

Give them each a bigg hugg for me...ok?

Donna Jean

Not a problem. I will give them one for me and then one for you.

Guest Donna Jean

Thanks, Honey.....

Don't forget.....Dee Jay HUGGS are tight and warm and long...ok?

HUGGGGGGGGS to you, too.....you're next on my HUGG List!

Donna Jean

Guest Distort

It's a sad fact, but I've never met a transgendered person, outside of internet interactions.

Whether or not there are any folks living in this area who identify as transgendered, I don't know, and I've yet to work up the courage to go into the city and check out support groups and events and the like. I'd love to meet some people who can understand how I feel, but I don't really have anyone I could take along, and I get all awkward when I'm alone in a group of strangers :unsure:

One day...