• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A Question For All Transgenders

Guest TigerFoxMatt

Guest TigerFoxMatt

First off, wasn't sure where to put this, so feel free to move it if there's a better place. ^^;

If there was a hormone that could make you feel more like your physical gender, would you take it versus going through sex change?

Personally, I wouldn't. I just think that even though I would be happy, there would always be something missing that wouldn't be if I went through sex change.

it depends on how one feels. i cannot make my feelings die.

may be one can live peacefully within the society but without feelings what will be the purpose to live???

it is the feelings that attaches you with your near ones.feeling always surfaces out however how much you try to curb it down.

Guest Emily Ray

I love this question!

I also love being who I am, a transwoman. If given the choice of continuing my transition or being happy as a man I am with you I want to transition. I absolutly love being a girl the freedom to express myself in so many ways is available to me as a woman. I wouldn't change anything about myself. Because I have suffered so much pain in my life as a transgender person I have learned empathy for my fellow human beings.

Huggs,

Emily

Guest KimberlyF

This is kind of a trick question in that I've always wanted to be comfortable with me, and if there were a hormone that made me comfortable in this body it would make me comfortable with someone else because I'm a woman. As to if I would take it or not, there are some days I know I would, and others I'm not so sure. I wish I could know how I'd end up?

And thats the difference. If I move forward with transition, it will be tough on people and on myself, but the core of who I am and what I stand for will never change. And the people I care for would have to start to realize that on a base level I'm mostly the same person. Jeans or skirts I'd still be there for them at 1 in the morning if they called me.

If I took a pill that made my mind fit my body it would have to alter me to the core. Who I am, what I like to do, how I like to interact with people, etc. I don't know if I'd like that person. And this isn't an all guys are evil thread or anything like that. And I KNOW guys that would be there for me if I called them at 1 am...but still a pill like that would be changing me vs trying to make me comfortable with myself.

Guest Donna Jean

Good question......

Now...this far into transition, I'd never go back for any reason....

But, had you asked me 40 years ago when my mind was in pieces and not being able to understand what was happening to me? I just might of done it. I've been a woman all these years, but some of the pain and misery that I had before my understanding may of caused me to do it..

Donna Jean

I might have to take it just for my wife and children. I wouldn't have to put them through what I am doing now. It really is a hard question because I really want to get rid of that down there. Plus I have always dreamed of being a girl with no maleness in me at all.

the pill would also have to erase my memory too. being...... diffrent is one of the very first memories. i remember having.while transsexuality does not define me . it has shaped me into to who. i am . as a person . if it was suddenly gone. it would be a blessing and a nightmare. a blessing to not have to feel these feelings . a night mare cause my body. is so far past the point of going back. and i have built such a huge life around being a girl. that it would be harder going back than staying the same . and besides. i really genuinly love being a girl :) so, i would have to say no

Sakura

Guest GwenMichelle

For me no I would be just kidding myself, wouldn't feel like the natural solution for me and it would just seem like there would be a big void in me after.

So NO for me :)

Michelle

xoxo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Distort

No.

In the past? Maybe.

I think, I've reached a point where I truly and honestly accept myself, whether or not I'm happy in my current situation. The idea of making myself feel female actually kinda makes me feel nauseous. I don't think I could make myself take a 'cure', and if I did manage to then I think there'd be quite a bit of self-loathing carried through because of that act, even once the dysphoria was gone.

• Forum Moderator

I have said for decades-not realizing I was trans even-"I am not my body!"

I cannot speak for others but for me, to take a pill like that would be the ultimate betrayal of everything I believe in. I always wanted to change how I expressed who I was so I fit in better. I always wanted to understand what seemed to come so easily to others and so desperately hard to me, but never, ever wanted to change my core being. And although I didn't have the semantics right until recently my core is and was and always will be male. If I changed that I would no longer be me. Believe me there were people in my childhood as determined to change me as I was determined to retain my identity.

It's funny that this topic made me realize my feelings would be no more acceptable today to my grandfather than they were when he was beating me for being such an bad girl. For taking his tools and building things, or taking my shirt off when I played or standing up and defending myself and preferring playing outside in the dirt to learning to care for a house. A pill could have avoided all that.

And I'd of rather died than take it-then or now.

But I don't condemn others who feel differently. We are all different and only have the right to judge for ourselves.

Love

JohnJ

Guest ChloëC

I've said it in other responses around here - exactly what makes you, you? If there were some way to change yourself from what you are, to something else, would you still be you? An example is that movie 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'. At the end, the people still looked the same, and they were all 'happy' and 'contented'. But were they still the same people? Of course not.

If I were to have amnesia and told and re-inforced that I'm a happily adjusted male, would I be that? Am I still me after amnesia? A well known if not particularly common 'cure' for some kinds of pyschoses was a frontal lobotomy - that is, removing part of the brain. Are you still you after that? How can you possibly be, because parts of what has made you you (memories, responses, etc) are now gone.

And if we're talking about miracle drugs, supposed your child exhibited tg tendancies and you could give your child this pill that would 'correct' that. Would you? Would you take it upon yourself to play 'God' and change your child? And why would you do that? For your child's well being or for yours?

Tough questions

Me, I am what I am, if I wanted to be different I could just take LSD the rest of my life. Sorry, not for me.

Hugs

Chloë

I thought about your question and after giving it some thought, it would take more than a hormone to make my life better.

In addition to thinking and feeling like a female inside. My size and cost are factors to why I don't see myself ever going through the dream surgery, not to mention cowardice. But where my size would be a problem as a female, on the other side of the coin, another size problem prevents me from being comfortable as a man if you get my drift.

As much as I hate to admit it, I find myself sucked into the mythos that have plagued males and females forever. Perhaps if I'd been born in this day and age where changes are more accepting than they were in my youth and family, I could make the change. And while I've only come out to my wife and daughter, I know that I would support any of the younger ones in my family if they decided to make a change and would come out to the family so that they knew they weren't alone.

But having said all this, I can't really complain about my male life. I served 20 years in the Air Force and have enjoyed many of the things that are perceived as male dominated activities.

Since joining Laura's, I've come to believe that I'm a product of both genders, not just one or the other.

DawnK

When i was young, and if it erased those memories, i would have taken it to be able to live a normal life, now i would not take it.

Paula

Guest Kayliegh

First off, I do not think of being MTF or FTM and wanting to be the gender we should have been and having corrective surgery is "having a sex change." I think of it as being the correct gender - thus being a "gender change."

While I know many of the folks out there in the world think that we are "transsexual," I think of myself as being transgendered. "Sex" has nothing to do with it. I do not “dream” of having sex with a man as a woman – that is not what I am looking for or hoping for – I simply want to be a woman; the gender I should have been at birth. So why do people insist on using the term “sex” in explaining our transformation as something having to do with “sex?” It certainly is not for me.

Secondly, I would not want to be anyone other than who I am. Is a Hispanic person who doesn't look Hispanic a Caucasian or some other race? I think not.

Just because our outward appearance does not match who we were supposed to be, can “flipping a switch” make us someone we are not? Again, I think not.

Hope no one takes offense, but I would prefer the term “transgendered” when you are describing me or any surgery I have.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a really interesting question.l

I definitely wouldn't take it. Which is kinda weird since it goes against the principles I generally follow. But there are other exceptions, so it's fine.

Guest AlishaToMe

Good question

As someone who is just starting out on the journey to full realisation it would be an option to think about but in essence it would be a pill to change my soul, something that should be free and unchained. My soul is female and who i really am, my thoughts and feelings, how i perceive the world around me,my dreams and aspirations all come from within, from my soul, to change that would make me an entirely different person. changing my body to match my feelings just changes how others perceive me and hopefully will make me more comfortable and confidant with my own image.

Would i want to change my soul...no, i like who i am, that's why i want the body to match.

• 2 weeks later...

No.

I wouldn't take it, and I probably wouldn't have taken it when I was younger. In spite of the difficulties I think I am special and would lose that if I took that pill.

Shari

Simply put in the form of another question - wouldn't taking that pill just be continuing to live your life the way it is expected by others rather than being true to yourself?

I do not feel defined by any gender label - I am me, call me Sally or not I remain the same, ignore the facts and tell me that I am totally wrong and am not transgendered at all and nothing changes, I remain me - a unique individual with a difficult situation in life but then so is everyone else but so many fail to live for themselves, I haven't yet - maybe tomorrow...........

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Jace Quent

No way. I can't imagine feeling like that. To me, feeling like my biological sex/gender is the real "sex change". I've felt male as long as I can remember and couldn't really see myself behaving, looking or thinking any other way.

THat's a good question and I can definitely understand why someone would do that, but, even if I had a gun to my head, I wouldn't do it cuz to me, it would be the death of who I am as a person

so no, I wouldn't do it

-D T-S.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Leo the First

Right now, I wouldn't. I couldn't.

I mean, I'm still having a rough time with it emotionally but ... I accept it now xD So it's a part of who I am as a person. I don't want to lose any part of me.