• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Your Name-What Do You Care To Be Called?

Guest Donna Jean

Guest Sharah

I have been thinking that maybe I should chose a name like Jamie (since my birth name is James) to make it easier on myself in recognizing when I am being addressed. The side effect on it being easier for tohers in not a bad thing either. I would really like to hear some opinions from all of you.

Sharah can about because I like its sound and also it is so different from my birth name. I think I was trying to make my femme person be totally seperated from my male person. Now I am feeling like I really want to integrate myself into one whole person that is of the correct gender. I just don't know, really could use some input from you folks.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally

• Carolyn Marie

• Milly

• JJ

Guest KimberlyF

OK...I'm pretty much locked into the Kimberly thang, and I prefer Kim. And then I recently decided I was gonna add Dee to the middle so Kimberly Dee. Don't know if I'm changing the last name or not.

I did the middle name for my kids. I figure they can call me Dee instead of dad or daddy and it would prob get a few less looks after my midlife crisis and it will also be special just for them.

Kim

Guest sarah f

Don't know if I'm changing the last name or not.

Kim

I don't know about my last name either. I think I will keep it just because of my kids. I really want to just be rid of him though and changing my last name would help. I am so confused on that part and will just have to wait until the time comes to change my name legally.

Guest Donna Jean

I have been thinking that maybe I should chose a name like Jamie (since my birth name is James) to make it easier on myself in recognizing when I am being addressed. The side effect on it being easier for tohers in not a bad thing either. I would really like to hear some opinions from all of you.

Sharah can about because I like its sound and also it is so different from my birth name. I think I was trying to make my femme person be totally seperated from my male person. Now I am feeling like I really want to integrate myself into one whole person that is of the correct gender. I just don't know, really could use some input from you folks.

You know...after reading a ton on names....

Some therapists suggest picking a name totally unassociated with your old male name so as to make a clean break with your past....

I've also read some that suggest picking something similar for the sake of comfort levels....

Seems I've had my name with me since I was a kid so that's who I am....

I've just always known.....

The old name= Donald Eugene

New name....= Donna Jean

How about that?....lol

Donna Jean

Guest LottieZero

Well, I like being called Charlotte, Lottie, Char, and maybe Charlie, if you must :D I don't like being called by my old name, though. It's rubbish :P

Guest Kaitlyn D

I looked at a lot of names when I was thinking about girl names. After several days of looking and thinking about it, Kaitlyn was the only one that really stuck in my head.

I like Kate as a nickname too. But Katie is definitely out.

Katewub.gif

Guest Sharah

I looked at a lot of names when I was thinking about girl names. After several days of looking and thinking about it, Kaitlyn was the only one that really stuck in my head.

I like Kate as a nickname too. But Katie is definitely out.

Katewub.gif

Kate is the nickname of one of the greatest actresses that ever lived. A beautiful name if ever there was one.

Guest Alex Blitzen

Oh I get called a lot of names.... Alexander, Alex, Al, Xander, Blitzen, Blitz, B, Johnny Mystery >_> I don't really care what people call me as long as they don't call me freak (in a mean way, if you are being nice about it then i agree with you lol)

Guest Katrina Reann

I really like to be called Katrina but I know typing is a pain so I am okay with Kat as well. What I really hate to be called is late for a cold dinner though. Cold food that is suppose to be hot makes absolutely no sense. Why even cook it if you want cold food. I will admit though that if you like cold food and don't take the time to cook it it creates less work. Heck, why not take it a step further and just eat out of the storage bag so you don't have to do dishes...oh I am sorry, am I ranting???? What was the question...lol...Huggiesss :)

Guest Whitenail

I thought about it for a long time and I like Alice.

It sounds like my original name (alex), it's a nice name in general and I've always enjoyed the tale of Alice in Wonderland.

Guest ~Brenda~

My name is Brenda Anne :)

I have many nicknames...

Bren, Bren Bren, Ren, bernii, breda, renda, nii...

Bren is my favorite nickname :)

Love

Brenda :)

Bren Bren sounds sweet. ^_^

Mine is simple. Michael. An uncle mis(?)read my middle name once. . . "who's 'Sean Michelle?'" I kinda liked it, didn't know why at the time. Mom weren't too happy, but she has her reasons for not liking said uncle anyways.

I've always hated my first name. It isn't me, never was, and the female version of it makes me cringe. I'd never go with Shauna/Shawna. I don't really know why I don't like it so much, I used to think it was aesthetics, but now I'm wondering if it was subconscious. You know, that's strictly a boys name and I'm not really a "boy."

Lotsa other things I been called that I don't like, all of which are banned here.

I used to daydream about what life would'a been like if I knew myself from the beginning. Thinking of my friends and family calling me Micha or Michelle just lights me up. ^_^

Ive made it known to my friends under threat of disembowelment that im not to be called chad at all. -_- ash is much preferable. Ashley is best. They still call me chad sometimes...

Guest Daiyu Hurst

Kitae was just an identity for transition-specific presence on teh Interwebz.

My female name will be Daiyu (pronunced like "Die you!" but sweetly) Hurst.

Guest Kaytlyn

I really love the name Kaytlyn. I can't stand "Chuck". Let the barrage begin... chuck wagon, chuck roast, ground chuck, what's UP chuck, chuck it out, what the &%*@ Chuck, lucky chucky, ducky chucky, etc etc. In my him state, unfortunately too much of my life is as him, I prefer Charles,not Charley though.

Kaytlyn rolls off of my tongue and makes me feel like some of the pieces are coming together.

Hugs all,

Kaytlyn

Guest Natalie92

Honestly, if I meet someone and I feel uncomfortable introducing myself as Natalie, I'll simply go by Nat. It's very short, simply and androgynous enough that nobody pays attention. Otherwise, it's Natalie.

Natalie

Guest Jessica22450

well, when I was in my Imaginary playmate days as a youngster, you could say I experimented with female names, But from about 12 or 13, Jessica has stuck, which is fine because it's similar to my despised male name, I couldn't bare going by the any of the names I experimented with like Kimi, or Lillian, or a many others, some therapists may say choose a name that isn't similar to your male counterpart, But my opinion is you need to personally tailor your name to your needs, or tastes, and Jessica fits perfectly. also on wiki, the definition is

The oldest written record of the name with its current spelling is found as the name of a character in Shakespeare's play The Merchant of Venice, where it belongs to the daughter of Shylock. The name may have been an Anglicisation of the Biblical Iskah (from the Hebrew: יִסְכָּה : yiskāh), the name of a daughter of Haran briefly mentioned in the Book of Genesis in the Bible. Iskah was rendered "Jeska" in English Bibles available in Shakespeare's day.[2]

The original Hebrew name Yiskāh (יִסְכָּה), means "foresight", or being able to see the potential in the future. The Hebrew root sakhah (ס.כ.ה) means "to see," so the name Yiskah, with the added yod, implies foresight or clairvoyance.

"Jessica" was the most popular female baby name throughout the 1980s[3] and 1990s[4] in the United States. It also rose to # 1 in England and Wales in 2005, dropping to # 3 in 2006.

Guest Valerie_LeeAnn

I like Valerie, but many call me Val, Val Val, Ms. Valerieeeeee.

Unless the people knew me before I started my transition/fulltime; then they would know my male name. I haven't been asked too often, but usually they guess John, or Jacob. . .which is wrong. Hehe, I keep myself a mystery.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ma-head-a-spinnin

I have been pondering names, even though I don't (yet)excl.gif consider myself MTF.

I actually decided to go by a substitution system, since I've got a first, second and third name. Granted, three names, plus a last name: it's very rare, here. But I would like to keep the same set of initials.unsure.gif

Then I pulled Google's leg, as to what names were popular in my birth year. And low and behold! Just one name which also starts with an E.

'Esther'

What a coincidencesmile.gif, I'd all ready rolled that name around my head a few times, and I guess it stuck. Same number of vowels, same number of syllables. just one extra consonant, and sound of the first syllable is almost the same. I think it's perfect.rolleyes.gif

(To myself) Now, where's that print?!

Ever since I was very young, I have always hated my name and cringed to hear it. As a result, I have reinvented myself several times over and have gone by many different names. The nicknames I am currently called include (but are not limited to :P) Zig, Zigbert, Zigberticus, Zigment, Zigmental, Zigmata, pretty much any other variation of "Zig-" you can think of, and Fork or Forkus. Most of those come from my sister, who I call my Bro. Or sometimes my Big, Beefy Bro. (She's bigger than me, at any rate. >.> Not that that's saying much.) What's my point in all this? I haven't got a clue. ^.^ Suffice it to say that names are not really important to me, as long you aren't calling me the one I don't like. XD

Guest praisedbeherhooves

My full first name is EXTREMELY unusual and I don't want to reveal it for privacy purposes. I'll go by my nicknames Darry or Dara.

Guest Samurai_Kid

I'm leaning onto either "Shane" or "Shean". I like the sound of the former better but the latter is more comforting since it's more like my birth name.

I'm leaning onto either "Shane" or "Shean". I like the sound of the former better but the latter is more comforting since it's more like my birth name.

'Shane' sounds almost like 'Shame'. I do not know if that is such a good thing...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 57 Guests (See full list)

• Betty K
    • MaryEllen
    • Birdie
    • Ivy
    • April Marie
    • KathyLauren