• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hrt Question?

Guest Emily_MI

Guest Emily_MI

I have been on HRT for a bit over 6 months so far. Honestly though I have not seen much change in anything except for my breast growth and sensitivity. I have not seen really any other changes to my face or really much else on my body? I know the effects are different for each individual but should I talk with my Doctor more about possibly uping my dosages for my meds? Am I just being too impatient or should I see at least some changes and feminization to my skin/facial features?

-Emily

Guest Donna Jean

Emily.....

Some of the changes are early...the breast tenderness and pain, for example...

Another thing that I think that you'd of experienced by now is noticable softening of the skin....

The changes to the face are slow coming ....I looked in the mirror day after day for months ...looking for a woman, but, all I'd see was a guy...

Then, one day she was just there!

I don't know what your dose is but, unlike in the movie Jaws and getting a bigger boat, upping the HRT isn't always the answer...sometimes that does more harm than good....

Talk to your doc if you think that it would make a difference, Honey....

Huggs

Donna Jean

Facial effects will tend to be subtle and tend to be longer term such as a couple years out. So yes it is a bit impatient to be expecting much at this point and the subtlties on the face may very well go unnoticed due to them being so slow.

As far as passability, getting facial hair removed (if you have any) have a much more dramatic effect. Till the facial hair is out any feminization in the facial area won't do much for passability.

At 6 months you may see some changes with the skin and body hair may be starting to get a bit lighter, but again these effects are subtle.

Higher doesages will not likely make changes happen faster and with hormones it is not a more or better thing. Much has to do with your T levels.

I expect sometime there will be some follow-up blood work. There is certainly nothing wrong with asking your doctor about what you can realistically expect in what time frames if your doc is experienced in giving hormones to trans folks. You can also express your hopes and ask your doc if any changes in the regimine are warranted.

• Admin

The other ladies are correct, Emily. Your results are in line with what most have experienced.

I've been on HRT for 10 months, and I see just the slightest changes to my face, and they are very subtle. The changes

to my body hair growth and skin have been much more noticable.

You're doing fine, dear. Just be patient. It is a marathon, not a sprint.

Carolyn Marie

Guest sarah f

Emily I have been on hormones 6 1/2 months so far and I can't see too much going on other then breast growth. I can see a little bit in my cheeks but not much. I have a little more padding in my backside and the only reason I notice that is because I had none before.

We just have to give it more time to take effect even though we want to see them now.

Guest Emily_MI

I had some bloodwork done a bit ago to test my T levels so I will call my Doctor early next week to see where they are at and if I need any additional meds or not? I am already on Laser and also Electrolysis and have seen some improvement in that but I still also have quite a ways to go as well. I am actually going back in another two weeks (laser) for more treatments, I need to get something setup with my Electrolysis sessions here soon as well. I guess I am just being impatient but I think that we all are when it comes to just wanting our changes to come sooner then what is really possible. It is just frustrating and depressing at times, I just have to keep what I am doing and stay optimistic though it all.

Guest NatalieRene

Emily hun give it some more time dear. It took about nine months for hrt to really kick into high gear for me and for the changes to be more apparent.

I'll show you the difference four more months can make for you.

This is from May of 2010

IMG_0263.jpg

and now this is from last night in October.

Photoon2010-10-21at2031.jpg

Given some more time you might be really amazed at how much more female you look.

Don't feel bad about the facial hair. I'm still struggling with it myself. My suggestion is keep a razor and foundation on you at all times when presenting as female. I like liquid foundation with a brush but a power based one works too. You just need to find the color that matches your skin tone. To give you an idea of how much work it is to remove facial hair I started last fall with laser and over six months had six laser sessions with 6 half sessions that focused on the muzzle area. After that I switched to electrolysis. My upper lip is about 90% done, my cheeks are about 80%, my neck is about 50% and my chin is about 40% done. I've had in total 20 hours of electrolysis so far since switching from laser.

Keep your chin up Emily. You will get there. :)

Guest Elizabeth K

Two years HRT 10 December - about a month and a half away.

TOTALLY worked. It is a subtle process - and we are our worst critics. I asked my doctor for an adjustment, but to reduce the unexplaianble sadness, not for any acceleration. I doubt increasing dosage really causes any acceleration, anyway. My dosage is less than most MTF.

Hang in there...

Lizzy

More of the female appearance is far more related to facial hair, head hair growth, head hair style and those other little things related to presentation than it is to hormones. Most here who are on hormones are also doing other changes in presentation such as I mention. Thus they may attribute more to hormones than is just the hormone effects.

I do know someone who has been on hormones, not just 6 months, not just a year, not just 2 years, but has been on HRT for 15 years. This person has done electrolysis and face is clear of facial hair for quite some time. The hormones had their subtle long term effects, but even after all this time, but nobody would ever perceive this person as female. This person does not do any of the other grooming things.

My point is that hormones are not magic, that when it comes to facial features, feminization will be subtle so there is no point worrying that you aren't getting the effects that others seem to convey. I many cases it is very hard to pinpoint and seeing yourself in the mirror every day it is darn near impossible for you to notice through at some point, you may have that recognition.

Youe doing those other things, getting facial hair removed and I presume other things as far as presentation. At the end, typically on the order of about two years from those I seen transitioning, your likely to be plenty passable and the suble facial effects of the hormones will play their small part in it not to worry.

Guest NatalieRene

Drea, subtle effects make the world of difference. You're totally right though. I have to work at presenting. If I did nothing and just went around I'm sure I'd be mistaken for a guy. I also couldn't wear a bathing suit without failing to pass. I think a lot of the art of passing is finding how to dress in ways that flatter what you do have and masks what might not be so ideal as well as it can be. But then again isn't that what all woman worry about too?

Guest NotClaire

ymmv :banghead:

I think the psychological changes are the best part of hormones... i feel a lot more comfortable going out and presenting as myself. HRT also facilitates talking/behaving as a girl... both of which contribute a LOT to passing. Think girl. Be girl. See girl... right? Yeah.

HRT is what lets me be myself... any physical changes are bonus/icing...

That being said, I've been on HRT for 8 mos and there's a noticeable change in my face muscle/fat distribution and my skin is rediculo-soft. I eat a very healthy, high-protein diet, drink lots of water, and do a ton of cardio... I also use bottles and bottles of body lotion B)

I read/heard from some TS that generally acquaintances notice a diff. after 6 months, friends after 8 mos, family after 10 months, and the TS themselves after a year. this seems pretty spot on. I see the same person in the mirror still but look totally different than pictures of me from 8 months ago.

peace and love, claire

• 2 months later...
Guest Lacey Lynne

ymmv :banghead:

I think the psychological changes are the best part of hormones... i feel a lot more comfortable going out and presenting as myself. HRT also facilitates talking/behaving as a girl... both of which contribute a LOT to passing. Think girl. Be girl. See girl... right? Yeah.

HRT is what lets me be myself... any physical changes are bonus/icing...

That being said, I've been on HRT for 8 mos and there's a noticeable change in my face muscle/fat distribution and my skin is rediculo-soft. I eat a very healthy, high-protein diet, drink lots of water, and do a ton of cardio... I also use bottles and bottles of body lotion B)

I read/heard from some TS that generally acquaintances notice a diff. after 6 months, friends after 8 mos, family after 10 months, and the TS themselves after a year. this seems pretty spot on. I see the same person in the mirror still but look totally different than pictures of me from 8 months ago.

peace and love, claire

The quotation above by Claire says it all and says it very well. Remember, HRT is an individual proposition dictated by your genetics and your health. Lastly, bear in mind that genetic females take from 5-10 years to fully feminize post the onset of pubescence.

From what you described, you are right on schedule and have nothing to worry about. Patience, girl, patience. We all get impatient. Just let HRT works it's magic. Proceed in faith.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been on HRT for a bit over 6 months so far. Honestly though I have not seen much change in anything except for my breast growth and sensitivity. I have not seen really any other changes to my face or really much else on my body? I know the effects are different for each individual but should I talk with my Doctor more about possibly uping my dosages for my meds? Am I just being too impatient or should I see at least some changes and feminization to my skin/facial features?

-Emily

You should ask the doctor and ask this too: depending on the results of your blood tests would upping the estrogen dosage cause the body to get a signal to produce more androgens and negate the additional estrogen? What he has prescribed may be within a range so as not to trigger your body to compensate with more testosterone. The HRT also includes anti-androgens. We all have a balance of androgens and estrogen. I read that the body works hard to keep that balance. Your doctor is trying to re-balance the androgens, anti-androgens, estrogen and progestogens. At least that question will be cleared up in your mind.

Also, it is easier for the body to create secondary male characteristics with androgen than it is to rid the body of those male characteristics.

Your present age is a factor as to how quickly or slowly the estrogen will work. By age 30 (some say age 25), the secondary male characteristics are at their fullest -- body hair, body mass and deepening of the voice. Those secondary male characteristics are not as complete in a male under a certain age. For that reason, estrogen does not usually impede much hair growth or soften the voice.

Ask your doctor these questions.