• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The Facebook Situation

Guest audrey michelle

Guest audrey michelle

soo, like i said before i was going to make my boy facebook into my girl one and put up a status saying i was trans. well i did it and right away, i got a few messages and comments of support. a whole week later is when "drama" started to happen

my former friend said that this wasnt me and ive completely changed but shes glad for me and i got her respect. you dont have to like it, but at least respect. so everything was good until i got a friend request from a guy who didnt really like me in school. weird...but i thought maybe he saw we had mutual friends and just added me. then shortly after, his friend added me who ive only seen in school but NEVER talked to. double weird. so i check my newsfeed...and sure enough, i see my former friend basically going from facebook to facebook about this. girls were shocked and surprised and weirded out while the guys said this was disturbing and gross. hmmm. but then these are the same people who still have me added and are requesting me? alrightyy

so i see statuses made by people i dont even know directed towards me (some good, some bad) but whatever. it wasnt always going to be acceptance and smiles all the time and i was lucky enough to have my whole family and close group of friends accept me. so im checking these statuses, not doing anything, and some girls are flip flopping saying its weird and disgusting then saying how as long as im happy. haha, alright. i can only think that im really the first male to female transsexual in our community so its just new and shocking to them. they dont quite get it

im fine though. ive had a couple of statuses made about me saying im an inspiration and more power to me. ive had a girl (who was quite popular in high school) reach out to me in a message and we just chatted and shes supportive and would like to be updated and maybe even hang out

i knew i would have to face some negativity and at first, i felt as if this was all a low blow but i got over it. i, unlike them, can say im honestly happy with myself. i sat there, laughed with a few friends as these people went from facebook to facebook as if i was behind the 9/11 bombing, haha. its not their business and the fact that they want to gossip just makes me roll my eyes and continue with me being me

dont be afraid of what people will say and think. youre living for YOURSELF, not others. if people dont like it, thats fine and expected. dont deal with them, dont stoop to their level, and dont second guess your happiness and goals. you do you...regardless.

Guest ~Brenda~

Hi Audrey :)

I am glad that you ultimately had a positive experience coming out on facebook. Most people do not understand transsexualism and are therefor simultaneously afraid, curious, and disgusted by the concept. Interesting that there was much gossip about you, but the final feedback was that you were supported. I think this is a great testament to our younger generation towards acceptance.

I do hope that you do not have any personal information publically available on face book. To identify as trans and have your personal information viewable puts you at risk. Coming out can be very treacherous because one does not know where it will lead nor where it will end. Coming out always means others will out you (believe me, I know ).

I am glad for your overall positive responses.

Be careful. Be safe.

Love

Brenda

Guest JaniceW

Audrey,

That is a real mature way of looking at this gosip. Your facebook change got reactions on both sides of the fence. Your chosing to only deal with the positive side is really insightful on your part. Reinforce your self esteme. Keep on keeping on. Continue to follow your road to your destination adn those hwo join you along the way are your real friends, those that do not never were your friends anyway.

You go girl!

Hello,

I think that this former friend of yours is one of the most pathetic creatures in existence due to her repulsive actions. Even if trans-folk are not common where you're from it should be obvious to anyone that such behavior is disrespectful, immature, and mean. I am glad of your reaction that whatever problem she has and the drama she's causing because of it is not something that you should concern yourself with. That type of thinking shows a lot of confidence and maturity.

dont be afraid of what people will say and think. youre living for YOURSELF, not others. if people dont like it, thats fine and expected. dont deal with them, dont stoop to their level, and dont second guess your happiness and goals. you do you...regardless.

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

*HUGGLES*

• Forum Moderator

people went from facebook to facebook as if i was behind the 9/11 bombing, haha. its not their business and the fact that they want to gossip just makes me roll my eyes and continue with me being me

dont be afraid of what people will say and think. youre living for YOURSELF

Karma will always find the gossiper, and it will drain their souls.

Your strength to be yourself has spoken much louder.

Peace

Cindy -

Guest sarah f

Audrey I am so happy that you are keeping a level head about your responses. There are always going to be those that don't get it or agree with what we are doing. That is ok because there will be those that do and they are the only ones we really care about. You doing it and I am so proud of you.

Good for you sweety. High School is tough. You are so so courageous to do this and I am SO proud of you! You've got a good head on your shoulders and a good heart. Stick with those who are on your side and ignore anyone who isn't.

BTW anyone who even slightly shows negativity toward you, that's what the "delete friend" option is for!

Guest audrey michelle

ive gotten a few more messages of support and the "drama" [not drama in my eyes because i just glance, brush it off, and keep on moving] has been dying down a bit. i mean, more people are finding out and stuff but no one is really talking about it on facebook [besides one girl but i didnt expect much from her...] so everything is going pretty welllll

people will talk about you REGARDLESS. i dont think anyone can escape judgment and criticism. its okay if it hurts [we do have feelings] but just know that you have to keep on going no matter what

i dont know if i can put my facebook link on here but you can go to my youtube account [just search up: audreybootyy] and my facebook link is in my "quick updates" description box. or you can message me and ill give you my facebook :]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Melissa 67

Ya, I first had my male name on facebook then changed it to Melissa. Alot of people that I new before are totally clueless about what trans-sexuality is, and there comments are rediculous. Some people are supportive, Some people say they are supportive or understanding, but are really not. It's a very upsetting and trying thing, and now I am more carefull, and I feel people out before I confide in them. This of course can only be don face to face, and not on facebook. Even doing it that way can be very disappointing as well. It's no joke.

Love

Melissa 67

Guest Donna Jean

I HAD a male and female page on FB....

I hadnb't seen or heard from my brother for 25 years and recently he contacted me and it was kind of a reunion...

But, this last weekend I came out on the male page, too...

So, maybe I'll not hear from him in another 25 years....

Not my problem....

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest sarah f

I have both male and female accounts but I don't remember the last time I looked at the male one. Non of my friends from the male side know about me so I can't link the two yet. I will however link them when I start to come out to everyone. It will save me a lot of time discussing this with them. I will only tell a few friends face to face and all others will have to learn about me by facebook or by someone else.

you already know this, but I just wanna say..

Anyone who uses facebook or any other social networking site to start drama is seriously stuck in the 6th grade. Like Kairi said, thats what the delete friend option is for. lol.

You handled it really well though. Best thing anyone can do when it comes to drama -- brush it off and keep goin. cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...