• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Number Of Cable Subscribers Dropping

JenniferB

Link

A few years back land-line phone companies were losing subscriptions due to the rise in cell phone usage. Why have a land-line when cell phones are far more versatile. Plus cell phones rarely receive annoying telemarketer calls. This is the same with video rental stores. Why drive to Block Buster when you can rent a movie online?

Cable television is losing subscribers, especially to the younger generation, due to the amount of video on the internet. You-tube, netfix, and hulu are good examples. I may not be part of the millennial generation, but I'm a geek and always keep up with the latest technology. Why would I pay $52/month for the lowest basic service without HD or a DVR for wanting to watch a couple a couple of interests. If you want HD and DVR you have to get the digital service for about $80. I like to follow Arizona University football and basketball (my alma-matter) and the food network. I'm not going to spend $52 for this when there is enough alternatives to keep me happy. Now if I could see Arizona and the food network as ala-cart for about $10-$15/month, the cable company would probably get my money. BTW I can sill see almost all the Arizona games online.

I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way I do in that cable or satellite television is dying.

Jenny

I don't don't have cable for another reason. I'm poor. But even if I wasn't I get along fine without. I don't have time for TV. That said, due to having rather generous parents, I do have a 48" DLP HD TV and a 38" LCD Flatscreen with a Blu-Ray. We have my desktop PC hooked up to the bigscreen in the living room and I can watch Netflix on there, and the DVDs and Blu-Rays I get through them I watch in the bedroom.

Eh im the same way, ill take my computer and net over cable anyday. Besides, I can't multitask with a tv like I can with my pc, wow, youtube and im all at once :P

Guest ChloëC

Part of the problem is most television content providers offer lets say 100-150 'good' stations for about $40 to $50 per month. That's in the $.33 to $.50 range per station. So, fine, offer me ala carte for $.50 and as my number goes up, drop it to $.33. I certainly can't see paying $15 for 3 stations. However, if there was a good way to distribute content (which is probably coming) watch for the price to be about $1 to $3. Can you say gouge?

Just remember 10 years ago, most people could get 10 or more stations for free. Now most cable subscribers are paying for a much restricted number of what were once free stations (local stations) with just as many commercials and nobody seems to complain.

We may be in a recession with reduced jobs, reduced wages, but a certain segment of the population will never give up the rich lifestyle for a second. That's why with millions unemployed, a search committee (for a public position) in a nearby town has the gall to say, 'we have to offer more to get the good senior manager.'

The entertainment industry is not about to start dropping salaries to on air entertainers, so be prepared for prices to continue to increase. And even with reduced cable subscribers, don't expect to see a lowering of prices (you would think - supply/demand but some industries seem immune to that law), instead the major companies will figure out a different stream of revenue and continue to gouge.

Oh well.

Hugs

Chloe

Guest therisa

Am off-cable by choice, too expensive, when I have other needs that take priority for me. Besides, why pay for channels which I can see for free, using rabbit-ears. Until all Canadian channels goes digital, I refuse to pay for garbage, which I don't watch anyways.

therisa

• Forum Moderator

There is a child in my household so we sacrifice and get satellite tv-and it IS a sacrifice. She is a science and nature nut and we all watch these programs together and discuss them. Along with history and travel programs and we have even watched some mild reality programs which gives us an opportunity to discuss choices and consequences and values. Since we live far away from museums and zoos without these programs all of her experiences would be limited to books and computer where we would not be able to discuss and interact as a family.

I think what works for you has to be based on your own situation.

John

Guest Donna Jean

LOL.......

I live in the Ohio "sticks"....

There's not enough people on my road to run cable....

Satellite?...It goes out when a deer pees....

I get 3 "through the air" stations...I pay nothing and watch very little...

I'm mostly on the computer....And I watch one movie per week...

Outside of that I watch the weather in the morning...Reminds me of the Simon & Garfunkel song that says...."all I need is the weather report..."

Donna Jean