• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Passing In Pictures

Guest -Jamie-

Guest MonikaC

Okay, so as you can all see in my profile picture, I am anything but passable. I know I have a long way to go overall, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for passing (or at least not looking like a monkey in a wig with makeup) in a photo. I really want something to look at on a daily basis to help keep me motivated. Any advice would be appreciated.

Monika

Guest sarah f

Monika sorry but I don't remember how long you have been on hormones. I would just give it more time to work. By the way you are being too critical of yourself. You don't look bad at all. Give yourself some more credit then that. It is more about attitude then it is how you look.

• Forum Moderator

It's hard to tell from your profile picture what advise to give. It looks like you have a sweet look and a nice nose. Brows can make a huge difference but I can't tell about yours from your pic.

If you can share a couple of other pics I think it would be easier to tell. But I do think you look nice.

Hugs

John

Guest MonikaC

Thank you both. You two are far to kind. I have other pictures, but I definitely don't pass in them. I'm just not sure what it is about that picture that was different. Lighting? Angle? I'm not sure. I just recently started hormones, so there hasn't been enough time for them to have any effect. Getting my brows done is a good idea though. I wonder how much I can get them shaped without it drawing attention, and how far I need to go to get a somewhat feminine look. Seems like a fine balancing act there.

I was just hoping for something to to look at every day for a little encouragement but it seems that I need to do some more work before I get to an acceptable level. That's okay though. It gives me something to focus on.

Monika

Guest Zoe_Ikeda

I find that changing the angle of the photo helps a bit. Especially photos looking down on the face, rather than below. As far as anything else, well, I'm still struggling with passing myself, so I don't know what to say.

Guest NotClaire

Definitely keep working to make your outer-self match your inner-self, but don't get too caught up in pictures and mirrors... ocd rates are high for transgender people and using mirrors/photos to reduce anxiety may be worse for your self-esteem in the long run.

Instead you should focus on activities, goals, hobbies, etc. to make you happy! :D

That being said.. you look good in your prof pic!! ;) i personally have horrible, horrible teeth... but I still pass better when I show them with a real SMILE :D

As for staying motivated: I've been on hrt for 10ish months and I take weeklyish photos w/o any tricks or anything - just me smiling in front of my mac. Comparing newer to older pictures always makes me feel better/more motivated

Definitely keep working to make your outer-self match your inner-self, but don't get too caught up in pictures and mirrors... ocd rates are high for transgender people and using mirrors/photos to reduce anxiety may be worse for your self-esteem in the long run.

Instead you should focus on activities, goals, hobbies, etc. to make you happy! :D

That being said.. you look good in your prof pic!! ;) i personally have horrible, horrible teeth... but I still pass better when I show them with a real SMILE :D

As for staying motivated: I've been on hrt for 10ish months and I take weeklyish photos w/o any tricks or anything - just me smiling in front of my mac. Comparing newer to older pictures always makes me feel better/more motivated

Hi, I've been playing with posting a photo, placed them a couple of times, and pulled them because I'm new and don't know how exposed I am to the general public. Old habits die hard I guess... The only people who have ever seen my photos are the gender therapist I visited and my wife (who would rather not...).

Some of them are pretty good and maybe passable. I tweak them in Picassa for lighting contrast soft or sharp focus but no photoshop, all real me. My best shots are face into the camera with camera even with or above the main focal point. partial or total profile shots enlarge the nose and adams apple. Shadows are almost never my friend, emphasizing angles, throat and, gasp, a few wrinkles. Most of us are taller than GGs and so the height of the tripod should often be elevated. I have longish reddish hair and blonde eyebrows so I dont have the dilemma of large brows. Adams apple isn't prominent nor is body hair dark. I usually wont pose in a doorway since it give perspective to height. I also try to use room light thats warm and not rely totally on the camera flash which on closeups can be harsh and unflattering.

Picassa is an easy to use free program. My complexion is what you would expect with red or blonde hair and if foundation doesn't cover properly when I inspect the photos, "auto contrast" "auto color" etc often fix it. Of course I tend to tweak the photos more precisely due to program familiararity. I will set the camera to shoot 4-5 shots with a timer and then slightly alter the face and body for each shot. I might shoot 6 scenes or locations, 25-30 photos and keep half or less. Review in the camera and dump 3/4s of them. Keep the decent ones and finish in Picassa. Its marvelously self indulgent and a great way to spent an uninterrupted afternoon. I highly recommend it!

If some readers haven't discovered for themselves, Flikr has an entire world of Trans photo posters. Be forewarned that some areas are unsavory but many seemingly honorable people on the Transgender journey post very tasteful shots. By watching technique I was able to learn how to best create the image I was trying for. And after all, isn't that just what every girl would want to do?

Who knows, maybe I'll get enough courage to post one day...

Guest Annaemo

Photos should just be fun imo. In the UK there are studios set up to give CD girls who don't dress full time an opportunity to have some nice pictures of them self to be proud of. If you don't have some one to help its really up to you to learn the techniques photographers and models use in photos.

Michelle gave you a lot of technical info. After this you need to consider your pose in the camera. Keep your back straight and chin in, head up. Pulling back your shoulders makes them more female looking I think.

To look really sexy try lifting one shoulder, in full body shots dropping on hip also does the same job. Relaxing your lips and making them stick out also makes for a much better shot with lip stick on. Relaxing eye lids also gives a sexy mysterious fem impression. I also found lifting your eye brows up gives more of an area between your brows and eyes helps to give a nicer looking brow.

I don't think you need to be look awesome or 100% feminine while taking photos. Look even women take bad pictures of them self and are really shy of the camera. I think its just more girls want to be models or stars and practice a lot in front of the mirror to look good. So just practice, I'm sure you will take some great pics soon enough :).

Hi, I've been playing with posting a photo, placed them a couple of times, and pulled them because I'm new and don't know how exposed I am to the general public. Old habits die hard I guess... The only people who have ever seen my photos are the gender therapist I visited and my wife (who would rather not...).

Some of them are pretty good and maybe passable. I tweak them in Picassa for lighting contrast soft or sharp focus but no photoshop, all real me. My best shots are face into the camera with camera even with or above the main focal point. partial or total profile shots enlarge the nose and adams apple. Shadows are almost never my friend, emphasizing angles, throat and, gasp, a few wrinkles. Most of us are taller than GGs and so the height of the tripod should often be elevated. I have longish reddish hair and blonde eyebrows so I dont have the dilemma of large brows. Adams apple isn't prominent nor is body hair dark. I usually wont pose in a doorway since it give perspective to height. I also try to use room light thats warm and not rely totally on the camera flash which on closeups can be harsh and unflattering.

Picassa is an easy to use free program. My complexion is what you would expect with red or blonde hair and if foundation doesn't cover properly when I inspect the photos, "auto contrast" "auto color" etc often fix it. Of course I tend to tweak the photos more precisely due to program familiararity. I will set the camera to shoot 4-5 shots with a timer and then slightly alter the face and body for each shot. I might shoot 6 scenes or locations, 25-30 photos and keep half or less. Review in the camera and dump 3/4s of them. Keep the decent ones and finish in Picassa. Its marvelously self indulgent and a great way to spent an uninterrupted afternoon. I highly recommend it!

If some readers haven't discovered for themselves, Flikr has an entire world of Trans photo posters. Be forewarned that some areas are unsavory but many seemingly honorable people on the Transgender journey post very tasteful shots. By watching technique I was able to learn how to best create the image I was trying for. And after all, isn't that just what every girl would want to do?

Who knows, maybe I'll get enough courage to post one day...

This topic got me going so I posted 3. I think all are decent. Tripod level pretty high, lighting ok, pretty much face on to the camera.

The thing to do is play with it, dump the junk and enjoy!

Guest Donna Jean

This topic got me going so I posted 3. I think all are decent. Tripod level pretty high, lighting ok, pretty much face on to the camera.

The thing to do is play with it, dump the junk and enjoy!

I saw the pics that you put up, Michelle.....

And you look great in them!

I was totally impressed!

Very nice!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K

GRIN

You are fine! We are always our worst critics!

Good news for you though - a personal story. When I started HRT I had to take 50 photos to get one or two that made me look passable. After about 6 months I had about half the photos looking pretty good and one or two would be outstanding. After a year on HRT - most all would be good. Now - wow - "who is that woman???" I get shocked how much change the HRT brings!

YES - you can 'half' do your eyebrows Tell a beautician or better yet, an electrology tech what you want - eyebrows shaped gender neutral enough to still go into male mode. It works and - it really helps your self affirmation! THEN when full time - get a real shaping - amazing...

I hope this helps

Lizzy

Guest harvester52

Coming from the other side... HRT works wonders. I am still shocked when I see my pre-HRT pics next to my current ones. Let the hormones work their wonders. :)

-BC

Guest MonikaC

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm sorry I haven't responded before now, I kind of lost track of this thread.

Michelle, your pics look amazing! I really appreciate the advice too. I'm excited to give this a shot.

Anna, thank you as well. I'm usually decent photographing nature scenes, or other people, but my equipment is all film, except my phone. I'm thinking of modifying a tripod to try to hold my phone and see how that works.

Lizzy, thanks for the encouragement.

I strongly disagree about my pic, and have almost deleted it several times. Hopefully one day I will be able to look back on that as a before pic and see how much I've changed.

Monika

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm sorry I haven't responded before now, I kind of lost track of this thread.

Michelle, your pics look amazing! I really appreciate the advice too. I'm excited to give this a shot.

Anna, thank you as well. I'm usually decent photographing nature scenes, or other people, but my equipment is all film, except my phone. I'm thinking of modifying a tripod to try to hold my phone and see how that works.

Lizzy, thanks for the encouragement.

I strongly disagree about my pic, and have almost deleted it several times. Hopefully one day I will be able to look back on that as a before pic and see how much I've changed.

Monika

Monika

When I get a haircut the girl always does the stray hair thing on neck, ears(maybe your not old enough for those yet smile.gif) and asks about brows cause I'll get them there too. I just say yes and she uses the clippers for all of the above. BTW tripods don't have to be expensive. Shop Craigslist or Walmart. Another thing I've done when trying for a hand held closeup is tape a piece of kleenix or any gausey paper over the flash. Hand held flash shots of your own face will show every gross imperfection cause the light is too strong... Gotta soften it and eliminate shadows. I put up a few different picts that illustrate.

Harsh light is not my friend being an old lady and all. LOL. And I never had the guts to do the Glamour Shoot thing so the makeup is all years of trial and error. I didn't mind looking kinda trampy but I didn't like when I looked like a clowntongue.gif Your facial shape in the avatar looks good if the barber just trims the brows a little. I'd never tell her to "shape" them, I say "trim" (:

Huggs

Michelle

Monika

When I get a haircut the girl always does the stray hair thing on neck, ears(maybe your not old enough for those yet smile.gif) and asks about brows cause I'll get them there too. I just say yes and she uses the clippers for all of the above. BTW tripods don't have to be expensive. Shop Craigslist or Walmart. Another thing I've done when trying for a hand held closeup is tape a piece of kleenix or any gausey paper over the flash. Hand held flash shots of your own face will show every gross imperfection cause the light is too strong... Gotta soften it and eliminate shadows. I put up a few different picts that illustrate.

Harsh light is not my friend being an old lady and all. LOL. And I never had the guts to do the Glamour Shoot thing so the makeup is all years of trial and error. I didn't mind looking kinda trampy but I didn't like when I looked like a clowntongue.gif Your facial shape in the avatar looks good if the barber just trims the brows a little. I'd never tell her to "shape" them, I say "trim" (:

Huggs

Michelle

BTW, the camera is a $150 canon, nothing fancy.

Michelle

Guest MonikaC

Well, I just went for round two. Thank you all for the advice. While I still don't think I pass, I think over all these are a lot better. I uploaded a few to mg Before album if anyone wants to check it out. View at your own risk though.

I know my shadow is showing through, but I just had laser a couple days ago and can't seem to get the shadow to go away. Other than that, though, let me know what you think.

Guest MonikaC

I almost forgot! What do you think of my eyebrows? I had them waxed, and I don't know how much more shape I can go with before things get too obvious

Monika

Well, I just went for round two. Thank you all for the advice. While I still don't think I pass, I think over all these are a lot better. I uploaded a few to mg Before album if anyone wants to check it out. View at your own risk though.

I know my shadow is showing through, but I just had laser a couple days ago and can't seem to get the shadow to go away. Other than that, though, let me know what you think.

Sounds like a story there... Had them waxed? smile.gif

Incidently, now that you've made the pictures viewable, I think you look pretty girlycool.gif

Michelle

• 3 weeks later...

So its the Holidays and I took a couple of Christmas photos yesterday. Heres two versions of the best one (if it will load two...). Hope you like!

Merry Christmas!!

Looks like I need to post separately...Click on the photo to enlarge, I hope?

Michelle

Guest NatalieRene

So its the Holidays and I took a couple of Christmas photos yesterday. Heres two versions of the best one (if it will load two...). Hope you like!

Merry Christmas!!

Looks like I need to post separately...Click on the photo to enlarge, I hope?

Michelle

Yes your picture worked. You look very good in your photo and I love that pillow. Did you make it yourself?

Yes your picture worked. You look very good in your photo and I love that pillow. Did you make it yourself?

Wish I could say I did. I just wanted a Christmasy photo and the decorations weren't up yet. I have some from last year with pointsettias that I could post too. Hadn't thought about it until now.

Btw, thanks for the compliment.

Huggs

Michelle

So heres the same Christmas shot full view. The pink skirt has been around for a long time but I liked it with the newer top and the contrasting dark shoes and jewelry.

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Erin Girl to Be

your hair looks great!!!

u r pretty!!!!

you pass girl~~~~ A+

Erin

Okay, so as you can all see in my profile picture, I am anything but passable. I know I have a long way to go overall, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for passing (or at least not looking like a monkey in a wig with makeup) in a photo. I really want something to look at on a daily basis to help keep me motivated. Any advice would be appreciated.

Monika