• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Think I Am Going To Get A Tattoo

Guest StrandedOutThere

Guest StrandedOutThere

So...I've been wanting a tattoo for a while now, but never could decide what kind of tattoo I wanted. Since tattoos are a bit on the permanent side, I wanted to wait until I found something that I'd be proud of and that I felt was significant to me in some way. I mean, things that are permanently stuck to your body should be, at the very least, attractive and significant. Right?

At first, I thought that I wanted to get a yin-yang. Not just a plain one, but a modified one that symbolized a balance between masculine/feminine and good/evil. I'll spare you all the complex story behind that one. In the end, I decided that it just wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

Fast forward to this afternoon. I've always liked koi tattoos, so I decided to look them up. As it turns out, the koi tattoos are really, really awesome looking. Besides that, they have a cool meaning! According to what I've read so far, the koi is a symbol of worldly aspiration, advancement, perseverance in the face of adversity, and strength of character. In Japanese mythology, the koi swims upstream and, through its strength and perseverance, is transformed into a water dragon. I've not been able to find a reliable internet source, so I'm going to keep on investigating this. Even if it isn't exactly right, if that's what I feel like the tattoo symbolizes, then that's good enough for me.

I think the transformation aspect of the symbolism is pretty cool. For me, it would be significant in the literal sense because I'll be transforming my body into a male. However, it would also symbolize lifelong, internal transformation and growth, which is something I think is important. The "strength in adversity" part of the tattoo's symbolism is important to me because I think transitioning is going to bring about all kinds of adversity for me.

Oh...did I mention that the koi tattoos are wicked cool looking? Yeah, they pretty much are. I also like that they are colorful.

The tattoo I'm thinking of looks something like this:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/jpp118187/tattoo1.jpg

Instead of getting it on my leg, I am planning to get it on my upper arm. I might end up getting it on my calf, but I guess I'm not entirely sure.

This is the tattoo place I'm considering:

http://www.fineartforlife.com/mike_tuten.html

There is a picture of a koi tattoo he did on the site.

What do you guys think?

I personally don't like tattoos. I think they don't look good and make you look unprofessional. Also, that's a pretty big tattoo. They're a pain to have removed, especially one of that size. But anyway, that's my view on it. Ultimately, it's up to you.

Guest StrandedOutThere
I personally don't like tattoos. I think they don't look good and make you look unprofessional. Also, that's a pretty big tattoo. They're a pain to have removed, especially one of that size. But anyway, that's my view on it. Ultimately, it's up to you.

The fact that tattoos are painful to remove does give me pause. If I got that tattoo, I wouldn't get it that big. Still, I see your point. I just called one of my friends and she basically said the same thing.

Guest GoldenKirbichu

I think a tattoo can look fantastic on certain people, but on others it just looks bad. A lot can change with your body between now and later. What happens to your body might alter the tattoo in ways that you might find unacceptable. Then there is the problem of getting it removed...

I would suggest, if you do get a tattoo, to experiment with something easily removable first that is about the same size and shape as the tattoo you want permanently... See how it looks, see how other people think, see if it can be hidden, that sort of stuff. If it looks good and you like it, then you can consider getting a permanent tattoo.

Guest Jack Solomon

Hey, Stranded Out There! I like the idea of a symbolic tattoo. I like those koi! I plan to possibly get a tattoo of my own that has symbolism to me. However, I might reccomend waiting until you've been on T for a while before getting a tattoo - your body goes through a lot of changes and weight redistribution (and possible increase in muscle/bulk, as well as other factors). Depending on where you get it, the changes could effect the appearance of the tattoo later on if you get it done before T. But, on the other hand, it could turn out fine if you get it on an area that won't change that much, like the calf. Although it varies, everyone has a different experience with T so it's hard to tell how much you'll change/gain/etc, particularly in the arm or leg area. You've probably already factored all that into consideration, though. :)

Solomon

Guest JayJaye

I've considered getting a symbolic tattoo also, but much much smaller. Not sure what or where, but when the time is right...

The Koi is cool.

My brother has a small sun tattooed on his back but he never went back to get it finished; I guess he thought it was too painful or not worth it or something, and now he doesn't care. He never goes shirtless either...I've lived with him for 3 years and have never seen him shirtless, and of course now I'm curious as to how much chest hair he has, because I'll likely have what he has, LOL (I'm not out to him yet or I'd ask!)

Jay

Guest raydub

i love tatoos. i have two myself. both are easily tucked away for professional purposes: one on my wrist (where my watch band would go - if i ever got my battery replaced :mellow:) and the other on the back of my neck (i currently have long hair - and when i cut my hair a shirt collar will probably cover it). but my tatoos have meaning and signify points/times in my life that i never want to forget - no matter how others view me (since soon enough they will view me as male - geez..i cant wait).

i think if you got that feeling in your gut about the tatoo.. that excites you and makes you feel like youve found a way to express yourself - then go for it. of course it unlike most things in life, will never go away. something to consider seriously of course. take your time. there will always be a good tatoo artist out there.. no rush eh?

Ray

Guest Mr. Fox

Advice I've heard is to put a picture of the design you want on the wall for a while (several months, a year, whatever) and if you still want it after that time, go ahead. I say this because there have designs I have wanted because they look cool or are meaningful, but after a short while do not seem like such a good idea anymore. Luckily, I was too young to get the tattoo in these cases, and now when I am old enough to get a tattoo, I will know how to plan. I figure you can make this decision better at 30 than I could at 11, so do not fret about it too much. Think carefully, but do not back out because of fear inspired by the words of others. Also, do not change the location of tattoos for the workplace. Cover them up if they are in plain view, or even delay them until after retirement, but it would be sad to have a tattoo in a different place than you wanted it for the rest of your life just to satisfy your employers.

Adrian

Guest Drew

personally, i really like tattoos. i've got two at the moment but i'll probably end up getting more. for me, i put them where they could be concealed if i needed to appear professional, i have one on my shoulder and one on my bicep. i agree with what Adrian said about putting the design on your wall and seeing if you still liked it after a long period of time had passed...you don't want to get tired of it once it's already on your body. i really like the koi design and if you like it and it means something to you i say go for it.

Guest StrandedOutThere
I've considered getting a symbolic tattoo also, but much much smaller. Not sure what or where, but when the time is right...

The Koi is cool.

My brother has a small sun tattooed on his back but he never went back to get it finished; I guess he thought it was too painful or not worth it or something, and now he doesn't care. He never goes shirtless either...I've lived with him for 3 years and have never seen him shirtless, and of course now I'm curious as to how much chest hair he has, because I'll likely have what he has, LOL (I'm not out to him yet or I'd ask!)

Jay

I'll never understand why guys who can go around without their shirts don't do it! My brother does the same thing! My little bro doesn't have much chest hair, but I don't think that will be the case for me because we have different dads. Judging from my family, I'll be a regular Grizzly Adams.

My brother has a sun tattoo on his back too. His has already started to fade a little because he's had a couple of bad sunburns.

Guest StrandedOutThere

Thanks for the good advice, guys! I'm going to go check out the tattoo place on Monday and talk to the artist there.

I had thought about waiting to be on T, but I think that is still a ways off for me. Also, I think the location I have in mind (upper arm) shouldn't change too much with T and should be easy to hide when I need to. Another reason I want to get the tattoo now is to remind me to persevere in the face of adversity. I know it sounds silly, but I get a lot of strength from symbols. It's weird.

The koi design is something I've liked for a long time. I have that "gut feeling" that this is the right tattoo for me. Still, I'm thinking this through carefully because I know it is permanent.

Guest Seth

I plan on getting many tattoos over my lifetime, and I don't plan on waiting till I'm 18 to get some of them. ;)

A tattoo that I plan on getting (that could potentially break a future relationship if they don't know my situation) is my given name on the back of my neck. I love my name, and I only wish I could keep it. I'm also getting out of respect for my mother, since she named me and my birthfather named my sister.

I also want to get my last name in an arch on my upper back, a shamrock with a the Irish flag in the back, saying "Kiss Me, I'm Irish". A couple more as I grow up.

One of the tattoos that I already have is an X on my upper left forearm. One of my friends was practicing on me and it really isn't very great looking, so I'ma finish it up into a full X. I also wanna write "Ooh, Daddy!" on my right ankle in cursive.

I will be a very tat'd human being when I grow up.

Guest Seth

Ooh, forgot one. I'ma get teh Google searcg box on my upper right shoulder. And my bud Bonnie gave me a pretty cool idea...a crop cirlce on the softer part of my left forearm.