• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Gender "tests"

Guest My_Genesis

Guest My_Genesis

does anyone know any websites where i can take one of those gender identity "tests", like the one they have for mtf's (i think it's called COGIATI or something..)..but yeah, i can't take that one, as it is specifically for mtf's. the closest i can find if i google something along the lines of "gender identity test" is his one i've taken a million times on tickle.com, but i'd like to take something a little less for fun and a little more based on real, tested, gender psychology and identity, like that mtf one.

someone on here posted something when i first joined the forum about the results on tests they've taken consistently indicating that they are trans - i meant to ask this in that thread, but i cant remember where i'd find it..

anyways, i know a test isn't going to tell me anything i don't already know, and i'm already about 99% sure i'm FTM, i was just curious to see what science and psychology have to say about it, and what they base it on (basically, i'm curious to see what they define as a "male" or "female" brain..might minor in it in college, as well :) )

thanks for your help

that would help me too. im pretty positive im ftm. it would be interesting to see what the test would say though it wouldnt be completely accurate. need a therapist for that. soory no link.

Guest StrandedOutThere

I don't put too much stock in little questionnaires. If you really want to sort out whether or not you are trans, you need a good therapist. Still, questionnaires are fun. I don't know of any specifically for FTM's, but I can think of one gender role inventory. It's called the Bem Sex Role inventory. Here's a link to it:

http://www.neiu.edu/~tschuepf/bsri.html

This doesn't say anything about your trans status, but it does say if you're more "male", "female", or "androgynous". I identify as FTM. When I filled out the inventory a while back (before I admitted to myself that I am trans) I was classified as "male". The researcher who made the questionnaire is named Sandra Bem, just in case you want to look her up. I don't know much about this stuff, but I'm willing to share what little I do know.

Doh! The website has a link to the scoring thing, but nothing to tell you what the scores mean. I know I have a paper somewhere that says what to do with the scores because I've used the questionnaire in an experiment/class project. I'll post it when I find it.

Guest Draik

Yeah I took that Bem Sex Role Inventory test on a different website and I don't know if the scoring is the same but it said I was 86% masculine and 14% feminine.

Guest StrandedOutThere
when you go to a gender therapist or a psychologist, don't they use some kind of test to diagnose you?

Mine didn't. They have a set of criterion they use from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (I hate the idea that trans is still considered a "mental disorder"). Mostly my therapists asks a lot of questions and has me talk about how I feel about different things.

• 11 months later...
Guest Tofi

I know this is an old topic but I found this test really insightfull and you can't really influence the results therefore giving an acurate account.

Guest My_Genesis
I know this is an old topic but I found this test really insightfull and you can't really influence the results therefore giving an acurate account.

erm..which test? lol

Guest Evan_J
erm..which test? lol

<--- notes the last poster is indeed the originator of the thread

And you actually are still waiting for an answer to your original question a year later? Congratulations My Gen, you have just destroyed the so-called "reasonable conclusion". lol

Guest Martin

No, therapists don't use tests to diagnose someone with gender identity disorder. There isn't a test for it. By the way, GID isn't exactly the same thing as transsexuality, although there is a large overlap. Some standard psych tests have questions related to gender, but they are not diagnostic and they are flawed - after all, I took them and they didn't say I was trans when I clearly am. Only a therapist or psychiatrist can diagnose someone as having GID. On the other hand, only an individual can know if he or she is transsexual, although a therapist can be helpful in the process. There isn't a test for transsexuality either - or for any transgender category.

There are tests to take online, but NONE of them are scientific. Some have scientific aspects, but no one has bothered to create - and test - a questionnaire that would correctly identify all trans people, give no false positives, and would be difficult to "cheat" on. No one has even put serious effort into it. That said, some of the tests are fun and sometimes they are a good starting off point for self-exploration. Just don't take them too seriously.

Guest StrandedOutThere
No, therapists don't use tests to diagnose someone with gender identity disorder. There isn't a test for it. By the way, GID isn't exactly the same thing as transsexuality, although there is a large overlap. Some standard psych tests have questions related to gender, but they are not diagnostic and they are flawed - after all, I took them and they didn't say I was trans when I clearly am. Only a therapist or psychiatrist can diagnose someone as having GID. On the other hand, only an individual can know if he or she is transsexual, although a therapist can be helpful in the process. There isn't a test for transsexuality either - or for any transgender category.

There are tests to take online, but NONE of them are scientific. Some have scientific aspects, but no one has bothered to create - and test - a questionnaire that would correctly identify all trans people, give no false positives, and would be difficult to "cheat" on. No one has even put serious effort into it. That said, some of the tests are fun and sometimes they are a good starting off point for self-exploration. Just don't take them too seriously.

The Bem Sex Role Inventory is scientific (been in scads of published papers), but it isn't intended to be used to diagnose anything. It's for psych experiments where there is a gender effect. People use it instead of genetic sex to divide people up. For example, like in experiments where they look at people's reactions to icky pictures, they want to say that males act one way and females act another. However, the results don't quite come out if you divide people up based on genetic sex, so people use the Bem. See? Even psychologists understand that what's in your pants doesn't tell the whole story. I wonder why others have such a hard time getting the picture?

Yeah, there is no such thing as a good diagnostic test for being trans. There likely won't ever be. Psychologists aren't good at making tests like that.

Guest Evan_J
and evan im confused lol. reasonable conclusion?....maybe there isn't one...

You done it :) You've tipped the scale. You are my nephew now. **stamps you on your forehead.

What I meant was most people think when they run across a thread started a year ago "pffft, its 'resonable' to cnclude that the originator is long since no longer interested in that matter anymore, its likely been resolved or at least a new interest has taken its place".

The fact that you showed up almost as soon as someone posted to it a year later blows that whole conclusion straight to .....ummm "heck" lol.

Guest My_Genesis
You done it :) You've tipped the scale. You are my nephew now. **stamps you on your forehead.

What I meant was most people think when they run across a thread started a year ago "pffft, its 'resonable' to cnclude that the originator is long since no longer interested in that matter anymore, its likely been resolved or at least a new interest has taken its place".

The fact that you showed up almost as soon as someone posted to it a year later blows that whole conclusion straight to .....ummm "heck" lol.

hahaha! i just browse around and revisit anything thats marked ive previously posted before.

tbh i forgot about this topic til it popped up again :lol:

Guest Joanna Phipps
that would help me too. im pretty positive im ftm. it would be interesting to see what the test would say though it wouldnt be completely accurate. need a therapist for that. soory no link.

The test you mention the coagati will only tell if you ar tg/ts or not and I believe that its been atleast partially discredited.

• 1 year later...
Guest Zolrek

Online tests are fun, I always take the "which character on -blank- show are you?" when I get bored. The results aren't really thrilling, but the questions and answers are interesting to read.

Guest Cowboy

I took both tests

and on the BSRI i got 91 out of 100 points masculine.

Was a different sight than the one posted. Had JAVA Script scoring.

I took the 2nd one and scored 0. My ADHD was kickin in though so not to sure how accurate that is.

Couldnt really pay attention :/

Guest Natalie92

does anyone know any websites where i can take one of those gender identity "tests", like the one they have for mtf's (i think it's called COGIATI or something..)..but yeah, i can't take that one, as it is specifically for mtf's. the closest i can find if i google something along the lines of "gender identity test" is his one i've taken a million times on tickle.com, but i'd like to take something a little less for fun and a little more based on real, tested, gender psychology and identity, like that mtf one.

someone on here posted something when i first joined the forum about the results on tests they've taken consistently indicating that they are trans - i meant to ask this in that thread, but i cant remember where i'd find it..

anyways, i know a test isn't going to tell me anything i don't already know, and i'm already about 99% sure i'm FTM, i was just curious to see what science and psychology have to say about it, and what they base it on (basically, i'm curious to see what they define as a "male" or "female" brain..might minor in it in college, as well :) )

thanks for your help

Let me start off by saying something about the COGIATI. I took the test 6 times and got 6 different results (as since every test has 5 different answers there were several where 2 or 3 could fit me). One of the things I also notice is that it relies very VERY heavily on gender stereotypes. One of those being that women aren't as good at math as boys. So, if you happen to be smart at everything (like I am) it deems you to be less of a transsexual. My thoughts to that are "EXCUSE ME? Just because I have a brain that allows me to mentally solve problems within about half the time it takes another person I'm less of a woman?" And because I wouldn't hug a total stranger while they were crying I'm also less of a true transsexual. Umm, I'm sorry, but again I'm not stupid. It's not safe to hug people you don't know. As a matter of fact Jennifer Reitz (the creator of the COGIATI) said that she had mixed feelings when she heard that there were gender therapists using her test because she admitted that these tests at best can only provide a general indication. I personally consider it a small step above the ones that are simply for fun (and it is the only test that even gets that high of an approval from me).

If you're confused (like I was a year ago) then you should talk to a therapist. Tests like those have faults.

Natalie Alexis

Guest My_Genesis

Let me start off by saying something about the COGIATI. I took the test 6 times and got 6 different results (as since every test has 5 different answers there were several where 2 or 3 could fit me). One of the things I also notice is that it relies very VERY heavily on gender stereotypes. One of those being that women aren't as good at math as boys. So, if you happen to be smart at everything (like I am) it deems you to be less of a transsexual. My thoughts to that are "EXCUSE ME? Just because I have a brain that allows me to mentally solve problems within about half the time it takes another person I'm less of a woman?" And because I wouldn't hug a total stranger while they were crying I'm also less of a true transsexual. Umm, I'm sorry, but again I'm not stupid. It's not safe to hug people you don't know. As a matter of fact Jennifer Reitz (the creator of the COGIATI) said that she had mixed feelings when she heard that there were gender therapists using her test because she admitted that these tests at best can only provide a general indication. I personally consider it a small step above the ones that are simply for fun (and it is the only test that even gets that high of an approval from me).

If you're confused (like I was a year ago) then you should talk to a therapist. Tests like those have faults.

Natalie Alexis

Wow, fun to see where I was 2 years ago! haha. I'm not confused. I just have the mind of a scientist and like things to be clear-cut. I like everything to have a definition. I like things to fit into categories. life isn't like that all the time, and my brain doesn't like that. lol. When something can't be defined, measured, or isn't clear-cut, I always try to find a way to do so. I like to quantify things.

As sure as we are of ourselves, our gender identity is subjective. It's not something that can be defined objectively or measured and that bothers me. I hope one day they can do brain scans or something and be able to tell us what our gender identity is based on the scans. Until then my brain won't be happy lol.

I approach everything with at least a small amount of skepticism - how do you ever know the truth unless you have an objective view of the situation? Judging things by subjectivity alone just bothers me! lol.

Now that I know that much about myself.... I know why I was looking for some sort of test in the first place.

:)