• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Self Portrait Drawing

Guest Maria_B

Guest Maria (Hilda)

So lately I've been taking pictures of myself and drawing them, as a way to both improve my skills, and try and see my facial features.

Here is the first second one I've done:

sc014b0f0e.jpg

I'm trying to work on getting the heaviness of flesh into the cheeks and chin, if anyone has any suggestions.

All feedback is appreciated :D

Hi Maria,

I see this is a lovely young woman who is reflecting upon her thoughts. Your drawing far exceeds anything I could ever attempt to draw.

Want to offer you lots of encouragement!

Huggs,

Opal

• Forum Moderator

It's good Maria because you can already convey emotion with your art.Some people possess all the technical skill in the world but lack that inborn talent and no matter what they do it is not as satisfying to people as your drawing.

The thing you are seeking to learn to do is technique. There are many and they are like tools you use to express that talent you have. Many are a matter of learning what works and I think all depend on practice.

So you can either get some drawing books from a library or online or something or you can take a class. I recommend doing both.

A class is limited by both the curriculum and the teacher. You can only learn what the teacher knows and all of us have areas we prefer or have developed instead of others. But a class gives you a chance to get feedback and see how others are achieving things.

Books on the other hand are static and don't require you to improve or give any feedback. Can't correct any flaws in the techniques you are learning. But books are unlimited in scope and subject. There are hundreds-possibly thousands out there. And you can work from a book when you have the time and inclination in your home or wherever you are comfortable.

Did I mention I am an artist (Not full time. There aren't many of those) and have sold numerous paintings -including one to the State of Texas? Started out as an art major in college but ended up minoring instead.

And I think you are good. Study and keep it up. Art will keep you sane sometimes when the world gets to be too much

Hugs

Guest KellyKat

Hi Maria

'Here is the first second one I've done:'

Does that make three? The first. The first second. And the second second?

Sorry way my brain is badly wired.

It's a fine line drawing.

To add depth and weight you need to start shading and shadowing.

It's the only way truly make the 2D image appear 3D.

Look at black and white photos to give an idea of what I'm talking about.

See how light fades to grey to black over the rise of a cheek bone.

PM me if you'd like. I used to be an art major once upon a time.

Luv Kat :)

• 3 months later...