• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

This May Be Controversial......

Guest CharlesMonroe

Guest ShortyT

I think personally it was a fair comment on the blog, I agree that each person should have a level of say so about what or how far they want to take there treatment/s but if your goal if you end result is to be a transsexual male type with face hair but breasts are you a 'man'? no are you a 'woman'? no. I dunno what you are but you have become another thing and that should be your right but at the same time I perhaps dont like being bunched in with that under a general term of FtM

Yes, I agree that if a person doesn't actually identify as male, they should look into better terms than "ftm" for themselves, as that can be confusing.

If your born a sex and your goal is to fully as far as you can humanly go transfer into 'being' another sex you will go through a transition and come out the other side as something else in the case of FtM thats female into male not male ish but I want to be pretty.... not abit male only on friday nights its MALE.

Again, I agree that ftm is "female to male", and once you start transitioning, that is a commitment. But hang on, what is wrong with wanting to be male and pretty? I have a few cis friends who would raise a brow to that one. ;)

If you goal is to cling onto the label transsexual for dear life and keep abit of this side take abit of that side and general just want to blur the gender lines for your own personal pleasure thats great and I think people could have fun doing that but its still not fair to be called transmen or FtM when you consider that most FtM's wont call them self that they are guys and they seek most often to be under the radar to lead very boring normal lives at work and school as men they would dread gender blurring attention from others and work hard on there own personal goals of leaving the transition stage and being there goal men.

Many cis people endulge in blurring of the gender lines, and I see no reason why trans people should feel obligated to not do so if they wish. Coming at it from an angle of what is "fair" is just not.. fair. :P Let me try to explain what I mean: Yes, many transguys just wanna be an average Joe and fly under the radar and whatnot. That's totally cool. Should the trans guys who have a bit of a pretty boy or even queen inside them, have to stifle that part of themselves merely because "most" transguys aren't like that? Is it right to tell them that it's not "fair" for them to simply be who they are? (I could compare this to the gay community, where I often see the average Joe's express annoyance to the ones who just happen to match the stereotype of a gay man in appearance and conduct, disliking that they reinforce that stereotype. But that's just how it is, the ones who are loud and stand out more will always be more noticable than the ones who blend in. I don't think that gives anyone a right to tell them to stop being themselves.)

I know its probably not a popular point of view but truly I dont thinks its fair on people that fully commit and transition to get out of the other side to reach that goal to then be bunched together under a term other people are using to describe them self when perhaps there goal is not to go F to M but F to Something else.

Like I said initially, if a person does not actually identify as male, then I agree, the term ftm is not for them. However, it's not my business to question how they identify, so unless they explicitly state they do not identify as male, then I will accept them as male, no matter how pretty a male they want to be.

--

If someone wants to transition from female to male, and then present themselves as a femboy, dressing in girlie clothes and wear make-up, that doesn't bother me any more than if a cis male wants to do so. If their core identity is male, then I welcome them as such, and appreciate the diversity.

It is not in my place to question whether or not that person really identifies as male, that is for them and the person(s) treating them medically to work out. If they start treatment and it was a mistake, they need to own that mistake, and not project it onto other trans people.

As far as Dirt is concerned, I read somewhere, probably on her blog, that she experienced body dysphoria when younger, and I think she at one point questioned whether or not she might be trans. It's awesome that she figured stuff out before she did something she'd regret, it's awesome that she is proud to be a butch woman. However, now she is preoccupied with telling all transmen how they are making a mistake, mutilating their bodies and being misoginistic. She gets no respect from me.

Guest CharlesMonroe

Hm.

See, I read the articles and was really happy, because I feel like the writer of the article talked very openly and frankly about something that I rant about a lot too.

The fact that not wanting to be a woman, or have a gender expression that's traditionally accepted as a woman-gender-expression, does not make you a man

And yeah, I feel like a lot of doctors prescribe hormones too easily. And while my heart goes out to people who have to wait for months and months for hormones, I also think that it's for a really good reason.

And then I read all the comments here, about how Dirt(? who I'm assuming wrote the article) gets bashed around alot and is allegedly crazy, and got really discougaged and bummed out.

I didn't read any other articles on his/her blog so I have no opinion on her craziness, but I thought they were really thought provoking and a fair argument. Lots of people go through body dysphoria, not all of them are going to feel better by transitioning into another gender.

I also feel that in no way, the articles were transphobic.

But hey, that's just the two cents from the Canadian queermo over here.

I would just like to highlight that the well thought out article you were refering to is NOT BY DIRT. It is by bluetraveller, who's blog is excellent. Dirt is (for the most part) a trans hating, misandrist who spends her time defaming transmen by ripping pictures off youtube and captioning them with 'This is the next generation of young woman fallen prey to misogyny'. She is basically a second wave feminist who cannot accept the world has moved on. Bluetraveller on the other hand is really just providing a different perspectve, letting people know that there is alternatives to transition, but she accepts it is neccesary for those who need it. I also linked to another artice on tomboy revolution which is also along the same vein. I personally think everyone should read those two articles before transitioning FTM.

Guest CharlesMonroe

Hm.

See, I read the articles and was really happy, because I feel like the writer of the article talked very openly and frankly about something that I rant about a lot too.

The fact that not wanting to be a woman, or have a gender expression that's traditionally accepted as a woman-gender-expression, does not make you a man

And yeah, I feel like a lot of doctors prescribe hormones too easily. And while my heart goes out to people who have to wait for months and months for hormones, I also think that it's for a really good reason.

And then I read all the comments here, about how Dirt(? who I'm assuming wrote the article) gets bashed around alot and is allegedly crazy, and got really discougaged and bummed out.

I didn't read any other articles on his/her blog so I have no opinion on her craziness, but I thought they were really thought provoking and a fair argument. Lots of people go through body dysphoria, not all of them are going to feel better by transitioning into another gender.

I also feel that in no way, the articles were transphobic.

But hey, that's just the two cents from the Canadian queermo over here.

I would just like to highlight that the well thought out article you were refering to is NOT BY DIRT. It is by bluetraveller, who's blog is excellent. Dirt is (for the most part) a trans hating, misandrist who spends her time defaming transmen by ripping pictures off youtube and captioning them with 'This is the next generation of young woman fallen prey to misogyny'. She is basically a second wave feminist who cannot accept the world has moved on. Bluetraveller on the other hand is really just providing a different perspectve, letting people know that there is alternatives to transition, but she accepts it is neccesary for those who need it. I also linked to another artice on tomboy revolution which is also along the same vein. I personally think everyone should read those two articles before transitioning FTM.

Guest SidESlicker
I would just like to highlight that the well thought out article you were refering to is NOT BY DIRT. It is by bluetraveller, who's blog is excellent. Dirt is (for the most part) a trans hating, misandrist who spends her time defaming transmen by ripping pictures off youtube and captioning them with 'This is the next generation of young woman fallen prey to misogyny'. She is basically a second wave feminist who cannot accept the world has moved on. Bluetraveller on the other hand is really just providing a different perspectve, letting people know that there is alternatives to transition, but she accepts it is neccesary for those who need it. I also linked to another artice on tomboy revolution which is also along the same vein. I personally think everyone should read those two articles before transitioning FTM

AHHHHH.... see that makes sense. I was all sad that people were ripping into the author of the blog of whose links were posted, since I really liked what they had written.

Cool, thanks for clarifying.

Guest SidESlicker
I would just like to highlight that the well thought out article you were refering to is NOT BY DIRT. It is by bluetraveller, who's blog is excellent. Dirt is (for the most part) a trans hating, misandrist who spends her time defaming transmen by ripping pictures off youtube and captioning them with 'This is the next generation of young woman fallen prey to misogyny'. She is basically a second wave feminist who cannot accept the world has moved on. Bluetraveller on the other hand is really just providing a different perspectve, letting people know that there is alternatives to transition, but she accepts it is neccesary for those who need it. I also linked to another artice on tomboy revolution which is also along the same vein. I personally think everyone should read those two articles before transitioning FTM

AHHHHH.... see that makes sense. I was all sad that people were ripping into the author of the blog of whose links were posted, since I really liked what they had written.

Cool, thanks for clarifying.