• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Learning More Stuff From True Selves

Guest Orva26

Hello,

I haven't started a topic in a little bit and let several ones kind of die recently. My job is rocking (though it is not without its woes in this regard but that could be its own topic) and re-adjusting to a 'normal' sleep schedule has been taking a while... I'm still not quite there. :lol:

Over the last few days I've grown disgusted at myself for falling into melancholy and outright depression so I started racing through the book True Selves: about time the people at the GLBT library I got it from must abhor me. :lol: It took me a while because I don't have/can't remember clearly a good amount of the things it talks of when it goes through the lifetime of a 'typical' TS. It wasn't until the adult TS section that I really was getting a deep connection.

Anyway, I'm really glad I did decided to force my way through it despite how emotional it has been because I reached this paragraph that I want to quote:

Whether or not to have sex reassignment surgery is a personal choice. The transsexual journey is unpredictable as to timetable, path, and destination. Like a highway, there are many off-ramps, rest stops, and turnabout points along the way. Transsexuals can always stop, start again, or turn around at any point in the journey. Therapist don't assume that any one step will necessarily lead to the other or that SRS is the end goal of gender therapy. If SRS does occur, most patients no longer consider themselves transsexual because they are hormonally, anatomically, and psychologically the correct sex.

Now I know I've been told basically the same thing here, on a few other forums, and even in person by Janice but it was just nice to read it in one of the books hailed for its ability to explain things. I actually stopped there and had the book hugged to my chest for a good five minutes. Funny I always didn't like repetitive learning but now I realize that repetition isn't the problem it is redundancy that is the problem. I am very grateful for all the people who have been telling me just that from the beginning but for some reason it was tonight that it really clicked. That I really can go to a GT and tell them I desire HRT and to socially transition but have no desire for surgery and things will be okay.

I have two chapters left to read. One is about support options for co-workers, family, friends and significant others and the last one is writings/poems written by transsexuals. I'm going to try real hard to finish the book before I go to see the GT on the 27th. Not sure if I will be able to depending on how strongly I react to the last chapter.

I wanted to share this quotation because it really did put me in a good mood. It is my hope that it can help some others as well.

<3

-Orva

Guest Roxanna L

Beautiful post, Orva...

But I digress...

Yes, it is a very personal choice; and no, it is not only my choice to make.

I quote from The Matrix (the movie):

Morpheus: ...but they are the gatekeepers. They are guarding all the doors, they are holding all the keys...

Speaking of which: my intake at the hospital is today, in the late afternoon. They are guarding all the doors, they are holding all the keys. They have to final say.

They have outlined a very strict system, with no margin for deviation.

Sure, it was still my choice to contact them in the first place... But in essence, I'm at their mercy.

Sorry to spoil the mood, Orva...

Hugs,

Anna