• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Current Military And V.a. Patient

Guest Caroline Anne

Guest Caroline Anne

Hi everybody,

This is Caroline, I'm a new member. I wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I had the great fortune to meet some of the girls from this site in NOLA this month. It was a pleasure meeting y'all. Because of my active Guard situation, I pray that as we get to know one another, my identity, if known, will remain confidential. I have four years left until I can retire. I couldn't wait any longer to transition, I hope that I'm not jumping the gun to much. Anyway, I am a vet (U.S. Army) and as you know, a current member of the National Guard. I also am a patient at the V.A.

I have had great success with the V.A. in my opinion. I have nothing else to go on, but they (my nurse) probably kept me out of jail, if not saved my life by prescribing medication that made me legal. A saying that I've told others close to me is that the hormone might have been medication for my body, they were food for my soul. Nurse Cozic listens to me, is interested in my and knows my name. She is a great resource and does everything she can to help me on my way

I just had my first mental health visit for transgender this past Tuesday. I had been seeing them for PTSD, but the civilian therapist is costing me a fortune and I was hoping that I could get help from the V.A. Once again, they pulled through. My V.A. clinic is referring me to a V.A. Doctor in New Orleans that deals with Transgender. Hopefully, it's more than just being able to spell it or spot it.

I'm excited for the first time in a long time. The medical team is doing what they can for my physical issues, like working on referrals for rhinoplasty and trachal shave and so forth, and the mental health team is working their end. Yea for me.

Now, my other issue is the fact that I'm a member of the National Guard. A respectable member. I biggest concern this week at the V.A. mental health was if the NG can access my mental health or medical records from the V.A. without my consent. Does anybody here know?

Aside from that, I'm going through a medical review board for the PTSD from my last deployment. I missed my units' latest deployment because of this. The Guard sent me to a Big Army Psychatrist for a mental health review. He was less uptight than I feared. He asked me what I did in the civilian world and then asked me what I did in the Guard. I told him that I've been doing both since I got back without problem. He said he didn't see a problem either. And that was that. About 20 minutes of review. My personal opinion is that the Guard will keep me in. Problem is do I or can I stay in that long without either being found out (maybe the phyical changes) or will I not be able to stay mentally male long enough to retire, or will the Guard just say that they don't need me and give me a medical retirement? Stay tuned.

Caroline

• 1 month later...
Guest MissErika

Hi Caroline, I'm Erika, and I am also currently serving Active Duty US Army and wish to transition. However I don't believe that its an option seeing as how I need this job and don't have any real skills to use on the outside world.

Please let me know what the guard does when they find out.

Thanks xoxo

Hey Caroline!

I did not see this topic before - sorry I've been really busy at work and not being a Veteran I do not always have much helpful to say here but I just had to say hello!

I am so glad that you came here.

I usually offer new members some hot cocoa and fresh baked cookies - so would you like some?

If you post an intro you will meet a lot of people - they come to the introductions forum to meet new people.

I know that you have been talking to Donna Jean on the trans vet site but I am so happy to see you here - I am looking forward to talking to you more.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Donna Jean

DANG!...DANG...DANG!

Honey, I had been watching for you to post and somehow I missed it when you did..DANG!

I feel lower than a snakes belly in a wagon rut!

I'll get hold of you on the other thing that we communicate on....l

Huggs

Donna jean

Guest Emily Ray

I am a vet also and I have been experiencing difficulty getting proper psychiatric care at my Medical Center. No one on staff has any indepth experience working with trans patients. It has risen to the level that I need to move to a different part of the country so that I can get the care I need. I am happy to hear that other VA hospitals are willing to do tracheal shaves. I am having to leave before I can get it scheduled here.

The place I am going to treats all the transwomen from within the womens clinic. That sounds better to me than the way it has been done for me in the recent past. I have always had to educate my doctors on how to treat me and that can get old especialy when they stop listening and start making mistakes.

Welcome to Laura's I look forward to getting to know you better.

Huggs

Emily

Hi Caroline,

I'm also active duty with about 5 years left before I can retire. Being active, there's no possible way to go further in my transition other than being myself at home and hopefully around certain friends. It's great to hear that your VA is actually supporting your transition and providing the procedures that will help.

The one thing I'd offer is caution in transitioning too quickly. Not that it can ever be too quickly for us, but as you say you currently have 4 years left till retirement, it would be sad to risk the retirement benefits if you're called to duty or someone were to find out about your transitioning while still serving.

I'm no expert and only offer my thoughts, the same thoughts that run through my mind constantly regarding my own life and service. How long can I hang on? I hope that I'll be able to keep up the charade till I hit my 20 and can stop pretending...

Welcome and I hope, like Emily, that we can make it through with each others help and support.

Cyndi

Guest Donna Jean

Well, see?

I don't have those problems because I've been out almost 40 years now.....

But, all Trans vets need to work together to get the help that we deserve...

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K

Caroline

WAYYYY late catching you here! I regret that because I thought I would notice when you got on. And I was interested in seeing your situation explained, and want to say you are in an excellent place here at Laura's to get information pertinent to military issues.

So yes!

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME.

And everything is confidential - especially with we three here - so don't worry on that. We really look forward to get to know you here in NOLA - so get in touch when you can.

GRIN

Lizzy

And everything is confidential

Except of course every post on here is publically viewable and searchable via the major search engines. Beyond that, totally confidential.

Guest Donna Jean

Caroline

And everything is confidential - especially with we three here - so don't worry on that. We really look forward to get to know you here in NOLA - so get in touch when you can.

GRIN

Lizzy

Except of course every post on here is publically viewable and searchable via the major search engines. Beyond that, totally confidential.

Drea......

Lizzy is addressing the confidentiality of the three of us (me, Lizzy and Sally) that actually met and know Caroline....

She is aware of the posts here being searchable...that is why she keeps the name "Caroline...."

Thanks for your concern...

Donna Jean

Guest Caroline Anne

Hey Y'all,

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's good be around friends. Sally: Thanks for the cookies and cocoa. You make the best! Is that Belgian chocolate in the Cocoa? ;)

So, just an update..

First things first, the Guard decided that they would follow the Army's advice and keep me in. I have mixed emotions about that. I'd love to be free, but I know that I there are many things left to do for a successful transition. Is it realistic? I don't know. I hope it is. It also means that I'm likely to get deployed again within a year, I'm told. Now that I'm off profile and have a MOS(job) they need, I'm next in the chute. The dilemma there is passing the pre and post deployment physicals. I guess I'll worry about that when the time comes. I've got enough to worry about.

The V.A. is great. I love my new therapist. She is a wonderful counsellor. As a gender therapist, she's still learning, but good for me. They are still trying to get referrals for the tracheal and rhinoplasty, I find that as helpful as they want to be, they still need to be gently reminded.

The civilian therapist is a trip. It's very much a learning experience for him. This was the guy my wife and I had to both agree on. You know, we both went down our lists and this is who was at the bottom. Much like jury selection for the prosecution and defence. I hope he enjoys the boat he's financed with my money. I wouldn't mind taking a ride in it someday. ;)

Can I plug my blogspot blog here? There is no adverts on it. Just stuff. I know you guys don't have time for one more blog, but I'd be honored if you guys stopped by. It's: www.thissupergirlrocks.blogspot.com

Thanks for being there y'all!

Caroline

Good luck on deployment - I hope that it all goes well for you.

I am so glad that the VA is willing to work with you on transitioning, just keep reminding them.

As to the therapist's new boat, I would like a rider too!

Thanks for the blog address, I think I might just go there and read a bit more before I go to work today.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Caroline Anne

Hi Caroline, I'm Erika, and I am also currently serving Active Duty US Army and wish to transition. However I don't believe that its an option seeing as how I need this job and don't have any real skills to use on the outside world.

Please let me know what the guard does when they find out.

Thanks xoxo

Hey Erika,

I see that you're in NC. I don't get over to Bragg to much. The closest I go is Ft.Gordon. I was wondering if you have any kind of support? I was in the same boat when active duty. I know how it is. Do you have any private living space? If you're ever in Louisiana please let me know.

Take care,

Caroline

Guest MissErika

Hey Erika,

I see that you're in NC. I don't get over to Bragg to much. The closest I go is Ft.Gordon. I was wondering if you have any kind of support? I was in the same boat when active duty. I know how it is. Do you have any private living space? If you're ever in Louisiana please let me know.

Take care,

Caroline

Hey Caroline Anne,

Thanks for replying, I have the support of my wife. I haven't told anyone else yet. Don't know that I will until I am out of the Army. I don't ETS until Nov 2014, which sucks.