• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How To Get The Ball Rolling With The Va And Hrt

Guest dizzyizzy

hi, I am a 23 year old male veteran and im already in the va health care system in Long Beach, CA for my service related disabilities but there is no map or checklist i can find online that tells me what to do next.

i want to start the transition and its my understanding that i need therapy before i can start HRT. i don't have the money to paid for therapy sessions, is there a way to get the VA to paid for it and the hormone treatment? i know there wont pay for SRS.

umm, i little history of myself im a 5 year vet of the marine corps, ii never left California besides Pensacola, FL for mos school. i was a FA18 aviation electrician technician down at MCAS Miramar. i have 20% disability with 2 claims pending. Most of family and a handful of friends knows what i want and who i am. i started growing my hair but from a buzz cut its going to take some time i imagine lol. i love heels, i feel like a giant in them but i love them i know im only 5'8 and thats not crazy tall but maybe once i have real breast and hair the height wont bug me. i just made a facebook for my real self http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=100001947137164 i think that will get u there just look for Isabella Rosalyn Diaz in Long Beach. i dont know if there is a rule or not when it comes to names but my birth name does not transition well like Micheal to Michelle or nick to Nicole does. so i became picky about it and didn't want a name that was just a guy with an A at the end (ie paula, daniela, victoria)then i considered neutral names like Casey or Jaime but in the end i chose Izzie.

thanks for your time, i don't think this has been posted before. hope to hear back from anyone soon and ill answer any questions about myself

Guest Donna Jean

Hello, Izzy!

Welcome to the Playground!

I'm Donna Jean and a veteran, too!

Come and sit and I'll get you some cookies and a hot cup of coco...

Now, I'd like to ask you to be sure to have a look at the forum rules...there's a link at the top of most pages...It says “Terms & Conditions..

And, we moderate this site to keep it safe for everyone..

I'm in the VA system, too and although most VA locations treat vets different...few (if any) will do much towards transition.

I served in Viet Nam all I get from the VA is the bloodwork...I'm trying to get them to supply my HRT, too..

But, I think that you might be able to get some therapy through them...have you approached them about that?

Let me know what you find out....ok?

Welcome to the place, Hon!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Caroline Anne

Hey,

I have a few meds curtesy of the V.A. and you know what did the trick for me? I told my Nurse Practicioner that I was self medicating(I was). She wrote Rx for Spiro, Estradiol and Finestride. Talk about getting the ball rolling! I was shocked how easy it was. I thought there would be wailing and gnashing of teeth. Of course I explained to her that I had got the meds that I was self treating with through nefarious means and that I was scared of the risks that I was willing to take as well as potential medical complications, some real tears didn't hurt, either.

Anyway, she has been a great help. That was a year ago, and I start my first V.A. gender therapist appt. tomorrow.

Take care,

Caroline Anne

Edited by ChloëC
'Laura's Playground strongly recommends using medications only under a doctor's care. Caroline Anne understood it, and got legal prescriptions. It was a lot easier than she thought. We urge anyone who is self-medicating to do the same.

Greetings Izzy. As with Donna Jean I am a veteran and I am also in the VA system. I go to counseling once a month and I have talked with my therapist about transition. While I do not expect a lot of help with the medications and such, I am getting the counseling I need. I did get lucky in that my counselor has a great deal of experience with transgender. If you ask for therapy, you can probably get a referral for an initial consult. Be honest with whomever you talk with and you will most likely find that things go quickly after that. If not, just keep at it. Things change often in the VA and I know that there are programs in the works for those in our situation. It may take some time, but it is coming. Hope this helps.

Aislinn Danielle

I have an update for everyone. I saw my therapist at the VA yesterday and she gave me a copy of an email from the head of Mental Health. They are in the process of reviewing a policy to standardize treatment for transgender, transsexual and intersex veterans. It also states that there is to be no discrimination of any kind because of this. It gives the guideline that the VA will provide maintenance HRT but not SRS. I will scan the letter in and post it when I get the chance. Just thought you all would like to know.

By the way. I get my letter when I go to see my therapist next. However I can't get in to see my primary until April. LOL At least there is light at the end of the tunnel.

With Love,

Aislinn