• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Any Transgendered Mathematicians?

Guest JazzySmurf

Guest JackJJM

eeee I was just going to make a thread like this

I'm still in high school but I'd like to go for a master's and maybe doctorate in mathematics, probably applied, after this. I taught myself Calculus and have been teaching myself more abstract mathematics as well. Currently going through a textbook on Measure theory.

Guest JazzySmurf

Hi Jack,

A bit of work on the search engines will show you some MTF and FTM math PhDs in America and some math faculty in Europe and possibly some FTM math faculty in America. I am not aware any MTF math faculty in America.

Anyways, part of the motivation for this thread is to open up a line of communication for people in the mathematics discipline and see where things go from there.

How does the pre-doctorate educational system work in your country (I understand it's a bit different than in America)? In the US, the usual path is general education in mathematics and other topics (humanities, art, etc) throughout the undergraduate years and then further general education in mathematics up until passing the PhD qualifying exams, and then specialize.

Anyways, let me know if I can be of any assistance, or just be a friendly person to write to. I wish you the best in your studies :-)

Have a wonderful day.

Heather

Guest JazzySmurf

Hi Lacey,

Unfortunately, I will not be able to honor your request for now or the near future. In the time being, you may find value in posing questions of a similar spirit to Zenda and/or hosting your own forum thread.

Have a wonderful day :-)

Heather

Guest JazzySmurf

Hi Lacey,

I thought through some of your questions much quicker than anticipated. As a practicing Buddhist and a mathematician, I try to make sense of things. I chose these two disciplines because I found that, after sufficient effort and thought, I could make sense of them, and things. On the other hand, one of my good friends is a devout Christian and a mathematician, and he searches for truth. He studies these two disciplines because he sees the truth in them, and in and of itself.

Now, is he deluded? Probably not. He was a student of Terry Tao and is one of the most intelligent person that I know, respect, and admire. On the other hand, am I just being stupid? That does not make sense. I would not have gotten to the point that I am at today by missing a couple of brain parts. The example of the two of us is an indication that mathematics is what you make of it: nonsense, science, art, abstraction, theory, truth, etc. A similar answer applies if you ask me questions of similar spirit with regards to Buddhism.

Have a wonderful day.

Heather

Guest tiffany_marie

Very interesting thread, although I'm right there with Zenda when it comes to math myself :blink:

Always hated the subject in school, now history.. that's something I could have easily majored in, had I been motivated enough at the time to continue my education.

Wish I had been, but was going through a lot with the gender identity issues and depression at the, alas can't go back in time.

I look forward to following more of this and maybe learning a thing or two, about my old enemy mathematics.

Guest JazzySmurf

Hi Tiffany,

Believe it or not, I can completely emphasize with your feelings about mathematics. I am currently suffering from SOMS (sick of math syndrome) and am proceeding to cure it by spending some time with friends and doing anything besides think. I'll get back to you with something more well thought out later :-) Have a wonderful day.

Heather

Guest tiffany_marie

SOMS can also stand for "stinks at math syndrome"

Fits better in my case!

Honestly the whole fact that I do... well stink at math, is likely mostly of my own design.

I can blame it on any number of things and yes my general unhappiness about not knowing where I fit in the gender spectrum likely played a key part in my self destructive lifestyle at the time.

I'm not proud of it in the least, but I was drinking fifths of tequila by the time I was 13.

That's what those of us in the local punk rock scene did.. went to punk shows and drank after word at various older friends houses, who were also in the scene.. although I tended to go overboard and drink way more than I should have, especially that young and somehow successfully hid it from my parents.

Trust me it wasn't a case of absent parents I have a great father and had a great mother prior to cancer taking her away) I was simply a pro at hiding it. I will say as a disclaimer of sorts, while I still enjoy a well made beer once or twice a week, I tend to limit myself to a couple at a time and my 'hard drinking' days left me years ago.. thankfully.

Anyway I've been long winded enough as is and I'm not trying to hijack your thread, it's getting back to math trust me... Anyway it was never a matter of intelligence for me, I have more than enough upstairs....

I just threw my whole life away back then with my behavior and didn't pay attention in class and because of that by the time we got to even the most basic of algebra and geometry, I was hopelessly behind in terms of math, was naturally good enough at virtually every other subject that I could get by with little to no effort.

In the interest of full disclosure, all these years it's been my complete and utter fear of again even the most basic of algebra and geometry, that's stopped me from going to college and continuing my education, as I know regardless of what majors in, there's pretty much always going to be my mortal enemy math getting in the way.

Let this be a lesson to anyone who reads this thread, that may not be a whiz at math... at least pay enough attention to be 'good enough' at it....or if say science happens to be your biggest weakness... same things applies. Learn to be at least adequate, regardless of what your worst subject happens to be.

Stay in school kids!

*end rant* we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Guest JazzySmurf

Hi Tiffany,

No worries :-) One of the wonders of being a human being is that we always have the opportunity to begin again, and to start where we are. When we do this, then we recognize that we all have the same potential to make ourselves into better people, clearer thinkers, more studious students, kinder friends, etc, and that these wonders are always available to us. A similar type of thinking also applies to mathematics and many other disciplines.

There is this set of books that I went through as a child that I found to be absolutely adorable and that I think you may like as well. The first in the series, by Douglas Downing, is called Algebra, the Easy Way, and gives a well-rounded introduction to the subject. The story-line is quite lovely :-) It may take you some time to work through the details and the exercises (the book has an answer key at the back), but it will be well worth your time and effort. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Have a wonderful day.

Heather

Guest JazzySmurf

Hi Casey,

Thank you for the information :-) I'll be coming out to my colleagues in the coming days, weeks, and months, and we'll see what happens then.

Part of the other reason I wanted to start this thread was to see if there were transgendered mathematicians who also did some trans-advocacy/support work on campus. I asked for this because we will be doing some advocacy work with our campus trans-group in the upcoming months and I thought to ask for help from mathematicians in particular because it may be easier for me to communicate with them as opposed to academics of other disciplines. After some thought, however, it became clear that since GID knows no boundaries amongst disciplines, it may be worthwhile that we should not as well. The reason why I mention this is to ask if you happen to know other academics who did on campus trans-advocacy work. I'll be reaching out to the most visible trans-academic, Lynn Conway, once we get some of our trans-group details established, but perhaps you may know of others who would be willing to answer questions and offer advice?

Take care :-)

Heather