• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Choosing A Name

Guest littleboombox

Guest littleboombox

I want the type of name that gives the impression that I am not to be messed with, the "sturdy guy with dark hair" kind. For example, like "Troy", but I already have a close friend named that.

I would avoid "cute boy" names like Caleb or Jeremy. I also would avoid the elegant, medieval type names that you would expect from romance novels like Edward, Vincent, or Sebastian (not that there are any problems with those names, but 'cute' and 'elegant' just does not fit me).

Of course, it's all opinion. Suggest some?

Guest MelissaC

Hmm, it really depends on you and what fits I think, so it's hard to say. But I suppose I could come up with a few suggestions.

Drake was the first name that came to my mind. There's also perhaps names like John, Mark, Jack, Nick, Kirk, Brock...

When it comes to names, the list can go on for quite awhile. I personally find looking up names pretty fun, so I'd suggest checking out a list of baby names.

Hm, just noticed thaat pretty much all of my personal choices for tough sounding names end with a k. That might just be my opinion of what sounds tough though.

Guest Emily Ray

How about David, Jonathon, or Stephan. I find these are all strong names but you may have other opinions. I named my sons Alexander and Jordan. I named the one after Alexander The Great of Russia and he not knowing this goes by Sasha the Russian

Huggs

Emily

Guest littleboombox

When I hear "David", I imagine the "ruddy and beautiful" guy depicted in the Bible. The Bible sure does ogle over that boy's external appearance quite a bit. I can't decide if it's manly or just "beautiful". :P

Stephan is a good name. I may consider that!

Alexander is a strong masculine name, but I see a lot of other transgendered people use the name "Alex" due to its gender neutralism. Jordan can pass off as a girl's name, but even as a female name, it has that "strong" feel to it.

Guest Emily Ray

Your right I think. Have you heard the song "A Boy Named Sue" by johnny cash listen to it! I think it takes a really mannly man to take a fem sounding name.

Huggs

Emily

Drake was the first name that came to my mind.

<----------- not the one to ask for name advice lmao,

I've been through quite a few and still have my doubts. On a serious note though, Drake is what I have chose as my middle name. Really cool strong sounding name. My mom calls me Drake and it does give the 'powerful' impression.

Guest ShortyT

When I decided on my name, the main criteria was to keep my initials, and then I went through baby names-sites for ideas. Didn't take me long to decide. Picked something quite common for my age group.

Guest Gauvain

I might not be the best person to ask for advice on names since I have a tenancy to pick very strange names with weird meanings and stuff, lol. But I can tell you how I picked mine. I remember asking my mom years ago what my name would be if I had been born a boy. I didn't remember the exact name but I did remember that the meaning had something to do with a White Hawk and started with a G, so I just searched the meaning and found a G name... So yeah... 0-0

Guest littleboombox

Andrew is an awesome name. It definitely means "manly" but too bad so many good names are taken by people I already know. That includes Blake.

Dante.. though masculine, not for me though. Reminds me of "Adante" like those that you see on music sheets.

Guest N.Chaos

Stephan really is an awesome name.

I can't give you much help, my only suggestion is to peruse name sites until you find one that clicks. I lucked out, the name I took was the nickname I've been called my whole life so it felt natural to me.

Guest ShortyT

As for masculine names, Charles - Chuck for short has to be a winner. :lol:

But other names I find masculine would be Frank, Robert, Colin, Dylan, John, Joseph, Mark, Richard, Zack.

Guest mary/jason

i actually have kind of a feminine name. well, now its primarily a woman's name but when i was born it was a popularish guys name too. madison. chose it cause its the one name closest to my birth name (mary) and isnt the name of someone i know (mark, matthew and mackenzie are all ruined for me lol). and when i asked some friends they actually think madison is fairly masculine depending on the context. so a name one person may find masculine could be feminine to someone else. i think you just have to pull up a baby names list and go a to z until you find one that fits.

derek is an awesome name btw. good luck!

madison

Hahah, I'll be honest when I was looking for a name. I just used a baby list.

At first I considered using a masculine version of my birth name. Until I decided that it doesn't even near suit me. Hah.

Kaleb has always been a favorite of mine, and when my eyes passed it on that list, it just stuck. Plus, Kale is ridiculously close to the anonymous name I've been using for years on the internet. So double bonus points!

Nicholas has always been a tough guy name for me, but that's because I roleplayed a tough, smoker, football jockey guy with that name since I was oh....14?

P.S: I never considered Kaleb a cute name until now... Awwwdamn. xD

I'm going to keep my first name since it can be feminine or masculine depending on its origin, but my middle name I'm changing to James. It's not much of a change for my middle name really, starts with the same letter and has the same amount of syllables.

So you could do that, just find a name that sounds like the one you currently have.

Or think about the origin of your name. Like if you were named after your grandmother, then maybe take your grandfather's name instead.

Guest Superrad

I just chose a shortening of my name, kinda. I noticed that most guys would pronounce my name in a way where the first part sounded like Sean, while most girls pronounced it the correct way. I liked the kind that had Sean in it and began introducing myself that way until I dropped the rest. I decided to spell it 'Shaun' though, because it seems more classy/British to me. That's all I really needed when it came to name personalization because even though I know guys who've found perfect names to fit their personality this is he easiest and not everyone's name fits, so I was fine with that.

Middle name was the worst/the reason I have to change my name. I went through baby lists and planned but I read one comic where I fell in love with one of the guy's names. It doesn't mean anything to me either, but I thought it was cool so I'm pretty set on it. I'd say baby lists and don't worry, it'll definitely come to you.

Guest Wulfhere

When I was choosing my name, I was adament that it mean something to me. So I picked a few names I liked the sound of and the etymology of and kind of thought about if I could see myself using that name.

A good site to look through if you want to see the meanings behind different names is Behind the Name. That way you can choose something that not only sounds tough/masculine, but with also a meaning to back that up.

Guest littleboombox

Kale, I actually searched a lot of baby name directories too.

Sphere, that is actually a good idea. But I wasn't named after anyone. Heck, where did my name really even come from?

I will consider Biff. That sounds like an epic prison slang type of name. I wanted Moe but then I would hate the nickname "Moemoe"

Guest PaintedWingss

I like all of the suggestions so far! :D Fortunately, my name (Taylor) is unisex, so I didn't have to change mine. But since I'm bigendered instead of full FTM, the spelling of my middle name can vary between Jean (f) and Gene (m).