• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Updates For All

Guest Father Ford

Guest harvester52

Boy do I have a lot of updates for y'all at Laura's!

Yesterday, I moved from Oregon City, OR to Columbus, OH for seminary. I was selected for a full-ride scholarship to Holy Wisdom Reformed Gnostic seminary at the beginning of January. I sold my car, got an apartment, and flew out at 4:00 AM Wednesday morning. I am within walking distance of the Short North district (Columbus's GLBT-central) and went up there to scope things out today -- I have to say, what a fantastic place! I went into the Stonewall center, and was welcomed to join the various groups they have going on there. I found all the gay bars, and met some really awesome people along the way. One great thing too... my archbishop is a gay man who advocates BIGTIME for LGBT folks in the Columbus area.

As of tomorrow, I will officially be one year on HRT. It has been a fantastic year. In that year, not only have I grown a beard, but I also have started school, been approved for Social Security, moved out of my mom's house, got my own car and sold my own car (had to in order to move to Ohio.) Because I'm going to school, I get to remain on my mom's health insurance... which means my HRT is still covered. My rent is cheap here, and cost of living is drastically lower than in Oregon. I couldn't believe I could buy a loaf of bread for a dollar, a 2-litre of Coke for 2 dollars... the list goes on.

Perhaps the greatest thing about living in Columbus -- the WEATHER! Everybody here hates it, but I LOVE it! Back in Oregon, I was always hot. Sweating, no matter what I did. Here... I walked probably five miles today and wasn't hot the entire time! Now THAT'S something to be amazed at. Not to mention, I friggin' love the snow. It's fun to walk places when you have to ice-skate down the sidewalks. XD

The bus system is fantastic here as well. There's a stop right outside my apartment that goes right to the Short North, and it runs 'til midnight even on weekends. Hooray for COTA! (Central Ohio Transit Authority)

I am going to join TransOhio, which is a support group at the Stonewall center. Can't wait for the 20th when I get to go to my first meeting.

Well, folks... got some pics to upload to my facebook for my family. See ya!

- BC

Congratulations on that scholarship!

Columbus, Ohio is very different from the area where Dee Jay lived - a bit more rural.

Well, things are getting better for you and you get to play in the snow.

Enjoy the snow now because in a few months you will be getting a bit tired of it.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Maria_B

How very very awesome!

You seem to be getting along with life smashingly, a really Go-getter type of guy :)

Mind if I swelt up in tears of pride? :P

Good going, you!

Love, Maria :wub:

I am really happy you are enjoying Columbus. You see things in a positive way and cherish them where others would complain. I agree with Sally in that once you get used to snow you become tired of it.

Your bus system seems to be top notch. Ours in Tucson only runs to about 10pm.

I am glad you are happy in your surroundings and hope you will continue that way as long as you stay in Columbus. Hey at least you have a top notch college basketball team to cheer for.

Jenny