• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What's Your Name And Why?

Guest Doodlen

Guest Doodlen

I've been thinking about this for awhile. My birth name is Elizabeth, which is very much a girls name. So I've been trying to find a new name.

75% of the time I feel like a guy, 24% of the time I feel neither male or female, and 1% of the time I feel like a girl.

I was thinking of a unisex name, but I think I want a guys name, since I feel like a guy most of the time.

I've always liked names that started with vowels. And not something so common that it's boring, but not something so original that it seems fake.

Lately, I've been leaning towards Adam.

So what's your name and why? Maybe it'll help me deicide mine. And if you have any suggestions for me, I'd love to hear them ^_^

Guest Doodlen

I looked through the last 5 pages to make sure there were no other topics the same as this one, and apparently I didn't notice the one almost right under it -_- Sorry.

Guest Gauvain

My name is Gauvain cause I remember that when I was younger I asked my mom what my name would be if I was born a boy. I didn't remember the exact name but remembered the meaning and first letter so I looked it up and found Gauvain (among a few others, but this one was the most unique and because of that most likely that it was the one my mom picked out).

I think Adam is a really good name, though. :)

Guest Doodlen

I was the first born, and if I woulda been born a guy (which unfortunately I wasn't :P) they were gonna name me after my dad.

Two years later, my brother was born, and they name HIM after my dad. :P So unless I wanna have the same name as my dad AND brother, I don't think that'd work for me :P

Guest Stephen-Renae

Hey, Doodlen ( sounds like there's a hidden 'doodle' in there somewhere...I like it! XD ) I'm basically in the same situation. I was born Stephanie, but my parents were expecting a boy. They were gonna' name me Zachary, but named my lil' bro that two years later. I signed up with 'Stephen-Renae', because Stephen would be the most obvious male name choice for me. I like both my first and middle names, though...

Right now, I'm thinking Jesse, even though it's often mistaken for a girl's name. *shrug* Most transguys I've talked to online say that you need a fairly masculine name to pass, but I don't believe it. I'm really into rock and glam fashion, and I remembered Jesse from Full House, and the name kind of stuck to me. I'm a pretty feminine guy (fashion, relationships, etc) but I'm confident in my masculinity enough to not care :P The key is to pick a name that you really like. I personally love names starting with 'A' - Adam is a really nice name!

Guest ChloëC

Sometimes, I catch somebody semi-famous or whatever and I just become very intrigued by them. For the past several years it's been Chloë Sevigny. Now if I had come upon Laura's several years ago, I might easily have selected Parker (Posey). Of course, I did start using this name prior to Laura's. I am, though, definitely staying away from the 'K' version of Chloë. That association is just a little too much, IYKWIM.

A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet. I suppose I fit part of that (lol).

Hugs

Chloë

lol I've been through so many names. Finally came to the conclusion of Andrew Drake.

I chose Andrew because it's always been the name that I've chose in everything -- video games, "house" games when I was a kid, scenarios in my head (lol)

And the meaning of Andrew is man/warrior. Both definitions have a personal significance for me.

And this may seem funny, but Drake (my middle name) was actually inspired by the main character of the Uncharted video games "Nathan Drake". I was playing the game one day, and my mom was watching me. After I turned the game off, we got on the subject of names and Nathan Drake happened to come up in our conversation. Because his character in the game is some rough, rugged, treasure hunter guy, my mom said that I could pull off "Drake" easily. Plus, we both really liked the name. So it stuck. Andrew Drake.

I tried to look up a girl's name that started with a "W" like mine, but they all sounded too old. Then I went to "V" and recognized the name "Valerie" from the Conor McPherson play The Weir.

I'm fond of the middle "L" sound and the two or three syllables. Val-er-ee or Val-ree. Plus, it's timeless.

-Valllllerie

Guest Emily Ray

Hi there! As I was reading your post and as you moved through the requirements for your name I thought of Adam as a great choice and then you said Adam! If I were you I would try it on for a few weeks and see if it settles well with you.

Lovly name Adam!

Huggs

Guest Michael Heather

Hi!

I think Adam would suit you, that's the name I was thinking about when reading your post. If not, there's Avery. Just a suggestion.

As for my name, I want to be called Lucien (or Lucian, whatever, it's pronounced the same way). My mum opted for me being named Lucia if I was born on the 13:th. I was born on the 14:th, but I always liked Lucia more than my own name, so much that when I became a member of internet sites I'd put my name as Lucia.

Now, sadly, everyone in my family assocciates Lucien with Lucifer, and expects everyone else to do so too. The people I usually socialize with aren't close-minded enough to point the similarity out, they just think it sounds good and fits me! As for the rest of the world... they'll think I'm weird anyway, I don't care about them anymore.

Hope I was able to help!

Lucien

Guest Emily Ray

In the weeks before I chose Emily I watched Will Smith's movie "Seven Pounds" the mai female character's named Emily. Ironically Will needed to die in order for Emily to live. I didn't even make the connection until 6or seven months later when I happened to watch the movie again. And I didn't get the Ironic nature until I watched it with my parents several months after the second viewing. All consideration though I am an Emily from the depths of my soul. Brandon was the name of my body. Emily is the name of my spirit.

Huggs

Em

Guest PaintedWingss

My birth name happens to be Taylor, which is quite convenient for my gender, as I am bi-gendered, 50% male, 50% female more or less. I love that my name is unisex. Not only that, but my middle names spelling can go from Jean to Gene depending on my gender. I guess my name is one of those rare instances for a transgendered person where the birth name fits.

I guess that before I was born, my parents decided not to find out my sex, so Emerson was supposed to be my boy name. I really like that guy's name and I have a love of the names Christian and Damien right now, actually naming two of my character those names.

-Taylor

Guest Doodlen

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I love hearing stories about how peoples decided their names. ^_^ It's always neat to hear where someone's name came from, and even neater when they chose it themselves.

I think that when I'm able to pass (after my eventual haircut) I'm gonna try out Adam for awhile. :)

Though it sounds like a super-common name, I've actually only really met one Adam in my life. XD It's a nice name, though. Simple, strong, all that.

I chose Quinn because...well, when I was a lot younger, my mom was listening to Anne Rice's "Blackwood Farm" on tape. Most of it was too mature for me, but she's let me listen to bits and pieces. The main character's name was Tarquin, but he went by Quinn for short. I was only ten or so, but I fell in love with the name. Used it for any roleplay characters I had when I was into roleplaying, just generally loved it. Felt only natural to make it my name when I realized what transsexuality was and how it fit me.

Guest Ilyusha

Names are hard.

I was fortunate that my parents gave me unisex names at birth (Alex and Kim) but I don't like either of them :lol:

I went on several sites and looked for a good name (I want something different and a bit mysterious) and found one that just called out to me: Ilyusha, so now I'm planning on having my name changed this summer.

Besides, Adam is a very good name.

Guest N.Chaos

Adam is an awesome name. I have this thing with A names. Aaron, Alex and Aiden are some of my top favorite names.

My name's Nick, because everyone already called me that (Or Nix, which I also don't want to lose).

So I'm happy with my boring-ness.

My birth name was Danielle and I'm soon changing it to Daniel because I go by Danny anyway so why not, eh?. My middle name will be changed from Kathleen to Levi, my mom sort of picked this out for me I guess. Although, I really like the name and have an attraction to names starting with L. My other choices for a middle name would be Lucas or Zachary.

As for a name suggestion... Bailey, Arron, Avery, Elie, Jesse, Riley, Skyler. Most (if not all?) of those are unisex names. I hope this helped in some way or another. B)

Guest HeathNikolas

My birth name is Heather Nikole, so luckily I got something pretty close to that which I really like, Heath Nikolas. Im just begining transition, pre-everything, so i'm happy that was a pretty easy one for me. Now on to the rest of the journey... :)

Guest Marshall

Hm...Well, I was born Keelin Marie, which is a pretty name for a girl, but it never felt right for me. I don't remember how or when I heard it, but I've always loved the name Marshall. I couldn't decide what I wanted for my middle name so I asked my mom what I would've been named had I been born a boy, she said she would've named me Owen, but my dad would've wanted my name to be Izzack (or however you spell that name). I liked how Marshall Owen sounded rather than Marshall Izzack. And btw, Adam is a pretty awesome name. ^_^

Guest Lacey Lynne

Yo, Holmes, how about AVERY?

Androgyne name. Ivy League. Very classy.

Well, go with whatever name YOU like!

You asked for suggestions, and the name AVERY occurred to me.

Peace

:rolleyes: Lacey Lynne