• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Gender Evaluation?

Guest Jennifer2111

Guest Jennifer2111

Okay, so my therapist a month ago had wanted me to get what she calls a "Gender Evaluation," but I have no idea why she wants me to do it?

Why am i considered a complicated patient?

Has anyone been through this kind of thing?

What am I going to be expecting and should I go?

I don't understand why she's requesting a physical evaluation.

Please let me know if I should be worried or not, is this normal for transitioning to do?

Thanks!

• Admin

I've heard of psychological evaluations of course, but never a gender based physical exam. :unsure: Did she say what she hoped it would show, and what tests were involved? The only test I can think of is one to determine chromosomes, and that only tells you if you are intersexed, not whether you're trans.

You need to ask your therapist for an explanation. If they aren't a G.T., that would tend to explain it.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Robin Winter

No idea. My GP requested a blood test with hormone levels before referring me to a GT, but that was the extent of it, and she admitted she had no experience with trans people. Have you asked her what's involved and why she feels the need to get it? She should be aware that no physical examination will determine your gender. I'm guessing she hasn't fully educated herself in trans related matters.

Guest Jennifer2111

I'm not sure, but I am going to go because the people there wonder why I'm there as well and they see that I'm not the average "male" the dr there actually called me a miss and when I told him I wasn't a miss yet, he was shocked and he's going to talk to my therapist because we both don't know why she sent me here, but if worse comes to worse I can find someone else and get the letter right away since I've been taking therapy for more then 6 months and I can't wait any longer.

• Admin

*scratches head* :dunno:

Sure can't tell much from that blurb. Nothing about any specialties, and certainly nothing indicating a knowledge of, or experience with, trans issues. But it's nice to know she attends lots of conferences and seminars (on your dime). :banghead:

Carolyn Marie

Guest JaniceW

Jennifer,

Wikipedia has this to say,

"The Gender Evaluation Methodology (GEM) is an evaluation methodology that integrates a gender analysis into evaluations of initiatives that use information and communications technologies (ICTs) for social change. It is an evaluation tool for determining whether ICTs are really improving or worsening women’s lives and gender relations, as well as for promoting positive change at the individual, institutional, community and broader social levels."

So it sounds like your therapist is asking you take a psychological type of test that evaluates who well you are doing in expressing your gender.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 80 Guests (See full list)

• Lorelei
    • Pip
    • Davie
    • Avra
    • MAN8791
    • AmandaJoy
    • MaryEllen
    • VickySGV
    • MaeBe
    • Ivy
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • FelixThePickleMan
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

AmandaJoy
    Newest Member
    AmandaJoy

1. Angel Jamie
      Angel Jamie
      (24 years old)
    2. CallMeKeira
      CallMeKeira
      (31 years old)
    3. CamtheMan
      CamtheMan
    4. Jona
      Jona
      (22 years old)
    5. jpek
      jpek
    • VickySGV
      Welcome to the Forums Amanda, there are a number of us here who took that long or longer to come to grips with our personal reality.  Join right in and enjoy the company you have.
    • AmandaJoy
      I'm Amanda, and after 57 years of pretending to be a male crossdresser, I've recently admitted to myself that I'm a woman. It's pretty wild. I don't think that I've ever had a thought that was as clearly true and right, as when I first allowed myself to wonder, "wait, am I actually trans?"   The hilarious part is that I owe that insight to my urologist, and a minor problem with a pesky body part that genetic women don't come equipped with (no, not that one). I'll spare you the details, but the end result was him talking about a potential medication that has some side effects, notably a 1% chance of causing men to grow breasts. The first thought that bubbled up from the recesses of my mind was, "wow, that would be awesome!"   <<blink>><<blink>> Sorry, what was that again?   That led down a rabbit hole, and a long, honest conversation with myself, followed by a long, honest conversation with my wife. We both needed a couple of weeks, and a bit of crying and yelling, to settle in to this new reality. Her biggest issue? Several years ago, she asked me if I was trans, and I said, "no". That was a lie. And honestly, looking back over my life, a pretty stupid one.   I'm really early in the transition process - I have my first consultation with my doctor next week - but I'm already out to friends and family. I'm struggling with the "do everything now, now now!" demon, because I know that this is not a thing that just happens. It will be happening from now on, and trying to rush won't accomplish anything useful. Still, the struggle is real . I'm being happy with minor victories - my Alexa devices now say, "Good morning, Amanda", and I smile each and every time. My family and friends are being very supportive, after the initial shock wore off.   I'm going to need a lot of help though, which is another new thing for me. Being able to ask for help, that is. I'm looking forward to chatting with some of you who have been at this longer, and also those of you who are as new at this as I am. It's wild, and intoxicating, and terrifying... and I'm looking forward to every second of it.   Amanda Joy
    • RaineOnYourParade
      Yep, that's the one :P    Smoothies are criminally underrated imo
    • Ivy
      Rain here. I went to Asheville yesterday, and stayed later to visit some before going down the mountain.  Down here there were a lot of trees down in the northern part of the county.  The power had gone off at the house, but was back by the time I got home (21:00).  There was a thunderstorm during the night.
    • Birdie
      I used to get ma'am'ed during my 45 years of boy-mode and it drove me nuts.    Now that I have accepted girl-mode I find it quite pleasant.    Either way, being miss gendered is quite disturbing. I upon a rare occasion might get sir'ed by strangers and it's quite annoying. 
    • Mmindy
      Good morning Ash,    Welcome to TransPulseForums, I have a young neighbor who plays several brass instruments who lives behind my house. He is always practicing and I could listen to them for hours, well I guess I have listened to them for hours, and my favorite is when they play the low tones on the French Horn.    Best wishes,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • Mmindy
      Good morning everyone,    I had my first cup of coffee this morning with my wife, my second was a 20oz travel mug on the way to the airport. Once clearing TSA, I bought another 20oz to pass the time at the boarding gate. I’m flying Indy to Baltimore, then driving to Wilmington, DE for my last teaching engagement at the DE State Fire School.    Hugs,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋    
    • Vidanjali
      In my opinion, the gender neutral version of sir or ma'am is the omission of such honorifics.   "Excuse me, sir" becomes simply, "Excuse me", or better yet, "Excuse me, please."   "Yes, ma'am" becomes "Yes", or depending on the context, "Yes, it would be my pleasure" or "Yes, that is correct."   Else, to replace it with a commonly known neutral term such as friend, or credentialed or action-role-oriented term depending on the situation such as teacher, doctor, driver, or server.   And learn names when you can. It's a little known fact that MOST people are bad with names. So if you've ever told someone, "I'm bad with names", you're simply affirming you're typical in that way. A name, just like any other factoid, requires effort to commit to memory. And there are strategies which help. 
    • Mmindy
      @KymmieL it’s as if our spouses are two sides of the same coin. We never know which side will land up. Loving or Disliking.    Hugs,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • KymmieL
      almost 45 min later. Still in self pity mode. I cannot figure out my wife. I shared a loving post on Facebook to my wife. Today she posts, you are my prayer. Yet, last week she puts up a post diragitory towards trans people. Does she not relate to me being trans?   ???
    • Cynthia Slowan
      Hi Ash, Welcome!!
    • Cynthia Slowan
      Hi Justine! That was a very nice intro, this is a great place to learn about ourselves and to enjoy being who we are!                                💗 Cynthia 
    • Cynthia Slowan
      Hi Vivelacors!!  Like everyone else said, it is never too late to be you. It does feel too late at times but we can still enjoy our femininity every day, moment by moment!!                                                  💗 Cynthia 
    • Cynthia Slowan
      Hi Kait!! 
    • KymmieL
      Well we have the white rain, about 2 inches. Work is still terrible, with me making stupid little mistakes. Yet, to the boss it is the end of the world. Still on the hunt for another.   life just still sucks for me. I just wish I could be happy for a day. I'd even settle for a couple hours.   Kymmie
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.