• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

New Here

Guest JenMarie

Hi everyone,

My name is Jennifer and I just joined this forum and thought I would introduce myself.

Ive been transitioning for over a year now and been in RLE and hormones for around 9 months. I just lost my health care and switched to the VA in Seattle and was trying to find info on its system and found this group. Ive got my first appointment on the 23rd and hopefully I can get a new prescription ofr hormones. I heard they offer orchi's there so fingers crossed. I will try to update everyone on their system and how they operate there.

Been having a real hard time lately with my transition due ot being a full time student now and I rely on a wig due to a receding hairline. I was in the US Navy for 6 years as an EW/CTT onboard a DDG.

Jennifer

Guest tiffany_marie

Welcome Jennifer, like the middle name by the way! ;)

This is one of the best places on the entire web, glad to have you with us!

Guest Caroline Anne

Hey Jen,

Good to have you here. Hope you enjoy your stay. What kind of info would you like? The biggest problem in the V.A. is that they don't have one solid set of procedures in place. What you'll find is that every V.A. clinic, hospital and VISN will have different ways of doing things. They all want to help, though, so you'll just have to jump in and see what you can get. I'm in the New Orleans system and I find that they operate here differently than in the San Diego system and different again from what I've heard out of the East Coast.

In my opinion, I think that you shouldn't have any problem with hormones. I didn't. I walked out that day setup with more than I had expected. The whole bit, Spiro, Finastride, and Estrodial. Just tell your nurse practicioner or doctor that you're already on them and they shouldn't give you any problems. Therapy won't be a problem, either. A good gender therapist might take some time, though.

As for the operations or anything further, become friends with everybody and try to show why that would be needed medically. I am trying to get a tracheal shave, rhinoplasty and speech therapy through them, it was suggested by my nurse practitioner, but she has to show why it is needed medically. It hasn't gotten denied yet, just not approved. The wheels may turn slow, or stall even, just don't give up.

Remember, your mileage may vary. Let us know how things are going and what kind of feedback you get from them

Also, you can go to the yahoo group TSVETS for more info, etc.

Good luck,

Caroline

p.s. What time frame did you serve? Are you a part of OEF or OIF?

Guest Cyndi

Hi Jen,

Welcome :) No experience just yet with getting treatment from the VA but I've heard both good and bad stories from the others here and elsewhere. Hopefully you'll have luck there in Seattle and they'll get you set up with everything you need.

Definitely let us know how you get on back there.

Cyndi

Hello Jennifer,

Welcome to Laura's Playground! Yes, you can find lots of information and advice here.

But, you also might check out the Ingersoll Gender Center that meets weekly in Seattle (Wed Nites at 7pm, 1216 Pine Street, Suite 300). It's a great support group and you might find more local information there.

About the only VA information that I hear is that it varies from location to location - let's hope that the Seattle one is more enlightened (like the rest of Seattleites are!),

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you,

Love, Kat

Guest Donna Jean

Hello, JenMarie

I'm Donna Jean and a Vietnam vet....

I'm down here in New Orleans, too and just about to approach the VA center here to see what they can do for me...

(I know Caroline....HUGGGG)

I'll also post my experiences here when I go there!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Emily Ray

Hi Jen,

I am about to join the Minnesota VA health-care system. I have heard good things about them. I'll post my experience when I have one :)

huggs

Emily

Guest Donna Jean

I forgot to mention that I signed up with the VA in Ohio last year and they treated me like a queen....

But, like a dope, I moved away....so, I have to start over!

Dang

Donna Jean

Guest Gina9223

Don't worry about Seattle. One of my peeps .... two of my peeps go there. They'll process you on intake and walk you thru the system. You can obtain HRT and after 6 months... well, one of my peeps is on that track but may just opt for srs in Thailand instead.

Don't worry, they will treat you right.

• 1 month later...
Guest Michaele

Hi everyone,

Glad I stumbled onto this forum. I did my time in the AF and never thought of using the VA. I'm looking forward to see how things work out for you all as this may be a good alternative for treatment as opposed to out of pocket.

Shelley

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

Let us know how it goes. I'm planning on getting signed up with the Seattle Va in a couple of weeks. I'm also going to be employed there starting the week after next, so I'm interested in how they treat you on a personal level too. Planning on transitioning on the job there.

• Forum Moderator

Hi Jennifer,

Just stopping in to say HI, welcome you to Laura;s and wish you luck with you switch over to the VA.

Hugs

John