• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Boy Clothes For Small-Bodied Folks?

Guest someone or other

Guest someone or other

I haven't had a whole lot of luck finding dude clothes that fit. I'm really small, like xs and 0 short in women's clothes most of the time. Shopping in the little boys' section rather than men's doesn't really work either because certain parts just fit uncomfortably most of the time. Does anyone know of anywhere I could find anything? Thanks!

Guest PaintedWingss

I'm around 5'1", so I know what you're talking about. I've found that if I go to the young men's section, I can usually fit into the smalls and mediums. Pants with a length of 29-30 is hard to find, but possible, and if you have to get longer, you can easily get them hemmed to your height. I'm not very sure about waist size and whatnot, being a bigger guy at around 165 lbs with a women's waist size of 14-16 and men's of 34-36.

-Taylor

Guest chngnwnd

Try the boys department of a nice department store like Macy's or Boscov's. That is where I woul look when I was still pretending to be a guy.

Bobbi

Guest JesseY

I'm not as small as you, but I'm a size 4 as a woman, broad shouldered, and 5'6, so clothing for men either fits really well or is totally off. A lot of retailers seem to think small men do not exist, and do not stock sizes smaller than a medium. Anyway, I've found that H&M and Express Men carry XS sizes and 30x30 or 29x30 pants and they're present in the store -- not something you just need to order off the internet.

I'm not as small as you, but I'm a size 4 as a woman, broad shouldered, and 5'6, so clothing for men either fits really well or is totally off. A lot of retailers seem to think small men do not exist, and do not stock sizes smaller than a medium. Anyway, I've found that H&M and Express Men carry XS sizes and 30x30 or 29x30 pants and they're present in the store -- not something you just need to order off the internet.

If the problem is the pants and shirts are too slim in the boys or young mens departments, I remember being a heavy boy and having the shopping done at Sears and the term for heavy (boys) was "husky' sizing. I just checked the Sears boys section and it still exists and has plenty of merchandise. Looks like it should have everything you need if the issue is chest and rear end. Narrow shoulders may be an issue.. I wouldn't know...

Good Luck

Michelle

Guest TheBlackSheep

Being a small guy, I have a similar problem to yourself. I'm not sure about in your country but there are plenty of European stores which deliver to the US or have stores there:

One of the most popular and one of my favourites: They do sizes XXS and XS (XXS is about a 30-32 inch chest). Their trousers start at 26 inch waist. It's mostly teenage fashion but you can still find good classics there.

http://us.topman.com

A few other places you may find useful.

http://americanapparel.net/ Very good and they stock XXS!!!

http://www.zara.com

http://www.hm.com/us/#/startns/

Guest someone or other

Thanks so much, everyone who posted!

This may be kind of a stupid question, but does anyone have any advice on figuring out what would cover up binders well? It's hard for me to look at stuff on the internet and gauge how it would actually work out, especially with tanks, v-necks, etc.

Thanks so much, everyone who posted!

This may be kind of a stupid question, but does anyone have any advice on figuring out what would cover up binders well? It's hard for me to look at stuff on the internet and gauge how it would actually work out, especially with tanks, v-necks, etc.

In the summer, I have worn men's white t-shirts or undershirts (Not wifebeaters...) underneath shirts I wanted to protect from perspiration stains. Mens tops are generally thicker coarser material than womens and I think an undershirt with a standard button front shirt would do the job. If you end up looking a little bulked up, thats a good thing, right? If you lived in Florida you could run around in one of those tacky floral tourist shirts all the time. They are always too big and are so tasteless that nobody can see beyond the loud brilliantly colored Flamingos and Hibiscus to notice the body under the shirt.doh1.gif Not sure if that would be a good strategy where you live...dunno.gif

Michelle

Guest someone or other

Oh true! Haha I am a Florida kid, I don't know if I could bring myself to do the floral shirt thing though, haha. I guess I can always experiment with stuff and figure it all out :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Eli Robert

I second Topman, although watch out for the XXS sizing. I'm pretty thin and 5'6" and the XXS and XXS were too slim for me, couldn't button them up! Bare in mind they expect you to be like a plank the entire way down.

So yes, I'm a UK size 10 (US size 8) in women's and a small / xsmall in men's.

Guest CrimsonEdge

Men's medium shirts have always fit me quite well. Even shirts I bought in the US, which tend to be slightly bigger than what I get here in India, don't look weird.

As for jeans, I prefer the slim fit ones as they end up looking like normal jeans despite being larger sizes to accommodate my hips. I get the length altered afterward.

• Forum Moderator

I cover my binder with a men's small athletic compression shirt under everything-and have a racerback one I sometimes wear alone over the binder. The real ones -and some are just stretchy and call themselves athletic shirts-are designed to wick moisture and are designed to regulate body temperature as well by acting as a sort of heat sink. it keeps me cooler and more comfortable in the binder as well as creating a smoother line.

When at home I just wear the compression shirt rather than the binder because it smooths and keeps movement to a minimum while feeling much more natural. I have a lifelong hatred of bras.