• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Warning To Men About To Undergo T And Who Are On T Therapy

Guest Shaun.Olsen

Guest Shaun.Olsen

Hey all.

I juat want to share with you all what has happened to me as of late....

i started having high blood pressure and retaining water... my doc was so worried that she sent me for a full blood works and it came back as the cause of such issues.... Testosterone!!! my level when i started was 3.0 ( females is 2.8) mens normal lvl is 13.0 and considered low when under 8.0... my result was a whopping 65.0 after having 250ml of depo testosterone every two weeks for 5 months... which caused my body to retain water... 8 kgs of the stuff.... and now has thickened my blood to such an extent i am now at risk of having a stroke and a corinory emblism( spelt wrong i am sure) i have blood pressure so high cause my blood is so thick to pump thru my veins.. and i am now on aspirin to thin my blood until i get to see my tg doc to have my doses changed next week... please to guys who think it may be cool to do T therapy without a docs help.... DONT!!! this stuff can kill you if not moderated to propper levels!!

Guest Leah1026
Hey all.

I juat want to share with you all what has happened to me as of late....

i started having high blood pressure and retaining water... my doc was so worried that she sent me for a full blood works and it came back as the cause of such issues.... Testosterone!!! my level when i started was 3.0 ( females is 2.8) mens normal lvl is 13.0 and considered low when under 8.0... my result was a whopping 65.0 after having 250ml of depo testosterone every two weeks for 5 months... which caused my body to retain water... 8 kgs of the stuff.... and now has thickened my blood to such an extent i am now at risk of having a stroke and a corinory emblism( spelt wrong i am sure) i have blood pressure so high cause my blood is so thick to pump thru my veins.. and i am now on aspirin to thin my blood until i get to see my tg doc to have my doses changed next week... please to guys who think it may be cool to do T therapy without a docs help.... DONT!!! this stuff can kill you if not moderated to propper levels!!

You didn't say what your Estrogen level is. I say that because usually excess testosterone is converted by the body into..... estrogen! So another good reason to keep a close eye on T levels is so you're not shooting yourself in the foot by creating more estrogen. T needs to be closely monitored to keep it in a certain range.

FYI for gals: Excess Estrogen is NOT converted into T. That is a trans myth!

Guest Snow Angel

That's a good warning. Were you ever self medicating, or did your doctor just prescribe too high of a dose? I'm glad you're getting it corrected and saving your life.

Guest JayJaye

Did your doc prescribe that much? 250ml over 5 months seems like a lot. Or did you mean 250mg?

Definitely no good not to have a doc properly prescribe and monitor us while on T. Precisely why I chose to go that route even though I can legally get T if I want it. I don't want to mess myself up.

Take care, bro.

Jay

Guest jantonio

Shaun thanks for the info. But isn't the endrocrinologyst's responsibility to monitor the T levels? That's why the doc usually start you with a small dose and asks for a blood test every so often. May I ask, were you under the endo's care when you started T?

Jose Antonio...

Guest Sergei

Wow, this really scares me. They havn't done any checks on me since I started T almost 5 months ago. I live an awful unhealthy life style anyway, drinking everynight, and eating anything I want without considering what is healthy, and what isn't.

I hope you get better soon and this doesn't affect your treatment too much. x

Guest Martin

When I first started T, I was put on a fairly standard dose. This turned out to be much too high for me, so I ended up getting too much hemoglobin (which can be deadly without one feeling sick). A routine blood test caught it, I was put on a lower dose, and now I'm fine. I've been on T for about three and a half years and, aside from acne, that was the only problem I ever had. I also know people who've never had a problem from their T.

What I'm trying to say is that blood tests are necessary. With them, T isn't very dangerous because problems are caught. Of course there are exceptions. Still, there's no need to be scared to take it if you need it as long as you do it the right way.

Guest Snow Angel
FYI for gals: Excess Estrogen is NOT converted into T. That is a trans myth!

Excess estrogen is converted into death. (blood clots and such)

Guest silverpetals

excess anything leads to death eventually...even excess life leads to death :S

but shaun, wow i'm sorry to hear that :( it's just lucky that you managed to catch it before it got any worse, that's a relief. but i hope things start to get better from here, it does sound like a really tense situation.

take care.

Guest Evan_J

It's always somethin' ain't it? I feel for you bro. At the same time I gotta admit you just scared the bejezus out of me too lol. I dunno. On the one hand I've read heard about the safety and on the other I've got all this T converting to estrogen if you were in fact already having estrogen problems or high levels of T.

Dunno if it'll be helpful (and check with your doc) but you might think of altering your diet to try to reduce estrogen production/free up the T.

I'm NO authority but I've been comprising a mental list of things alleged to do that that includes red grape skins, brocolli, soy products/derivatives, and zinc to name some things.

And (I dunno if its an issue for you but it is for me) working on weight/reducing it also is said to help free the T/reduce you from converting it to estrogen. Apparently the heavier you are (it sux for me because I love food ) the more your body converts T to estrogen.

My T levels came back at double high-normal male levels a week or so ago. I was shocked... I actually didn't believe the doctor and checked with the lab myself. I thought they'd be lower than average, since I've only been on a full dose for a few months and I didn't feel super-aggressive and wasn't showing much improvement in the gym. But, there you have it. It might explain some of the insomnia I've been having. Hopefully, sleeping will get better in the next couple of weeks as my body gets back into normal levels. It's kind of a pain, though, because the changing hormonal levels screws with my ability to concentrate and makes me twice as sexually arroused... not helpful when I'm trying to study for a test tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience with it... I was feeling pretty lame that my body couldn't handle the standard/average dosage that most transguys take. good to know that I'm not the only one that gets to make a vial last a little longer and save a little extra money.

MK

• 1 month later...
Guest Shaun.Olsen

My estorgen levels were very low to begin with, i am still not sure as to why i was precribed the dose i was, it is 250ML every two weeks injection into the backside.... Turns out that they found that stress of normal life played an equal part. I was more stressing that it can be so easy for men to not think about the consequenses and self medicate without doctors supervision. i was kept on the same dose and i do not have an endo just a trans doc and a gp thats monorting my levels, aparently in australia there is a protocol of every 6 months u have to have your t levels tested but onbly the day BEFORE your dose day... not after as the levels that you just introduced into your system will give a false reading...

On a lighter note, my facial hair has exploded to a point where i need to shave every day now, aparently i got " grave rash" Congrats to amanda_y mod from chat with her name change her M to F change on her licence and also now finally her starting Hormone therapy :) so proud of u hon yay!

But yeah there is no need to be scared just aware of the risks t or even O has, mainly to the young fellows that want to " self medicate" thru means of aquiring the med off the internet... DONT DO IT!!! u need a docs supervision!!! :)

Guest Shaun.Olsen

oh and lol my oestrogen levels are aparently the same as a mans....??? dunno what that means but not have much now cause my oviaries dont even exist anymore all pruned out :P gender doc said that i have as much oestrogen as any other genetic man... oh yeah soz it took so long to get back about this,, kinda not been well lol

Guest raydub

thanks for the update shaun. i hope youre feeling better.

take care of yourself man. and where's our picture of this fantastic facial hair, hmmm?

Raymond

Guest Shaun.Olsen

LOL! will have to grow it a bit first :P When i went to see my gender doc a month ago she told me to shave it as it looked crappy lol :P but for u guys ill grow it somewhat and get my girlfriend to take a pic with her expensive camera haha.

Guest My_Genesis

Glad you're feeling better. :) That sounds like a pretty scary experience..

Yesterday I got back my blood test results from my annual physical, and started doing some research on the internet, which eventually led me to testosterone. It was interesting, because testosterone is known to have harmful effects on the heart and on cholesterol (this is, of course, mainly a problem for sedentary middle-aged men who do not exercise and have a poor diet..T is probably the culprit when it comes to those beer bellies and HBP in men :P)

Anyway, my cholesterol came back as 195, which I thought was kinda high, and the last time I got my cholesterol screened a few months ago, my total was lower, I believe somewhere around 170, but my LDL's were borderline high (131, 130 being the max in the normal range), and my HDL's were low, around 30 (supposed to be 40+, 60+ is best for the heart)...then I read that progesterone and testosterone can lower HDLs, while estrogen can raise them :huh: I've always had an imbalance with my HDLs vs. LDLs....I'm really becoming impatient about getting my estrogen and T levels tested..I keep getting subtle clues like this my T levels are higher than they should be..

I'm surprised it became that much of a problem..how long did it take for that to happen? And yeah, that is pretty scary, esp. the fact that excess T raises estrogen levels :o T is a precursor to estrogen, so I guess that makes sense..anyway, glad you're doing better.