• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Great Day For Our Local Community

Guest Guest 1

Guest John Chiv

I have written previously about the history of what will be formalized today. Today our county Board of Supervisors will formally adopt an EEO policy that has comprehensive language on sexual orientation and gender identity. I will be at this meeting to thank the people on the county level that worked to get this passed. And be there on behalf of the Human Rights Commission of which I am vice-chair. We got involved when another local group (trans but with LGB allies) took this on as one of it's goals last year. We worked together with the Transgender Law Center. This is something I have been working on daily for a year.

In a small, rural, isolated community where the County is the largest employer and most services are contracted with the County, this is huge and I am very proud to live where I do. I am proud of the HRC, TLC and the group Project Health.

I used to work for the County. And working on this allowed me to talk to people I interact with in business and politically in the work I do so the education part of this is far-reaching..

With the economy, particularly in California, and more budget cuts and living in an economically depressed rural, isolated area I am realistic about

this victory but having that protection and a consistent policy is a first step.

We celebrate our personal milestones in transition but this is special to me because many of my friends locally are a part of this coming to fruition. While this was happening, we were living our lives and being there for each other. I cannot wait to call them in a couple of hours and celebrate.

Thank you for reading this and sharing in our joy today.

John

• Forum Moderator

Awesome post John ! It's people like you that are creating a ripple in the world for us all, change happens one person at a time.

Best

Cindy -

• Forum Moderator

Fantastic John!

It is indeed a great day for all of us because each advance in every place resonates for all of us.

Thank you for your work, for being a part of this.

You should be very proud, as we are proud for you

All the best!

JohnJ

Guest JaniceW

John,

This is very good news. Each of these victories brings us closed to becoming full citizens with full rights that are protected. You and your colleagues deserve a huge "pat-on-the-back". Hope your celebration went very well too.

• Admin

John, you are and will continue to be an outstanding ambassador for our Community. You and your colleagues are doing great work up there, and I congratulate you on your success.

California has often led the way on social issues. Those advances aren't always well received in other parts of the country, but they seem to take hold nonetheless. I hope that this is just one more example of trailblazing and positive steps forward.

:welldone:

Carolyn Marie

Guest Emily Ray

This is exactly the kind of effort you put into our community that makes me so proud to have you for my very special friend. Great work and dedication.

Huggs

Emily

Guest John Chiv

Thank you all.

Cindy, yes I agree :) Together, one person at a time, we are making progress.

Big Brother John J, your confidence and pride in me means so much. Between us, we got the east coast and west coast covered.

Janice, I have been on the phone with my friends for the past hour and am so happy. I am hoping TLC and Project Health will send out press releases and recognize their work. I miss working with them on Project Health but I am were I need to be now.

Carolyn, you are so right about California. This does not lessen the defeat of Prop 8 but as we all know employment and housing are basics needed for us to survive.

Emily, thanks for the hug and I am very lucky to be considered your friend.

Can you see the big grin on my face?

John

Guest Donna Jean

Way awesome and dang straight seriously cool....

..(oh poop, I'm out of good words...)

You know what I mean, John...I am so proud of you....

Thank for for the contribution for our betterment!

LOVE & HUGGS!

Donna Jean

• 4 weeks later...
Guest megamix_my_heart

That's great! John, I was wondering what kinds of things were most effective- if it was lobbying, gathering mass support, rally's or direct action, if there were any, and what you thought of the process of gathering support?

Guest John Chiv

Megamix,

I took a different approach. Contrary to the ways and politics used by a few activists who speak for the LGBT community in general, I am a conservative-moderate. I have invested in my community and in people working on non-trans related issues. I took the strength of those relationships one on one and these included liberal,moderate and conservative alliances and advocated for us as a matter of equality and compliance with the law.

I did not play the victim; I was respectful; I have been very active as a volunteer and politically; and simply through people seeing my individual journey,I fought for our rights in general.

And it worked. There was no drama, no personal attacks and a very successful resolution in a relatively short period of time.

Our community is diverse and I feel we do a disservice to our community by believing that liberal progressive and Democrats are the only way.

Thanks for asking,

John

Guest Lacey Lynne

Awesome post John ! It's people like you that are creating a ripple in the world for us all, change happens one person at a time.

Best

Cindy -

Feel the magic, Brother John, for YOU have created it (alluding to Cindy's post above)! :welldone:

Dealmaker John Chiv!

Mellifluous Monker for a Man if ever there was one which so aptly describes you. You, John, rock!

High-Five at You! B) Lacey

Guest John Chiv

Thank you Lacey,

You are such a great support. I am happy to give to my community and be allowed to contribute what I have to offer.

Could not put it better than Winston Churchill: "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".

John

Guest Miss_Construe

John,

You put so much effort into Laura's and your community. I am amazed you have strength to get out of bed and brush your teeth (I hope ;) ). The impact that you and those you work with have made is so encouraging and an amazing step in your community, and the communities around you. Not only will the policy change impact your neighbours, but the example will hopefully inspire neighbouring counties and communities to initiate similar humanitarian policy changes.

YOU ROCK!!!

**Hug***

<3

Amy

Guest John Chiv

Amy,

Yes, there is always time to shower and brush my teeth LOL. I enjoy what I do; it is so natural for me and thanks for the encouragement and kind words.

Hugs,

John

• Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 87 Guests (See full list)

• MaybeRob
    • Ashley0616
    • April Marie
    • AllieJ
    • Heather Shay